Ork Weirdboy: Comments Wanted

By Snerded, in Deathwatch House Rules

In my campaign, the Kill-Team is fighting Orks but I noticed that Weirdboyz are missing from the Mark of the Xenos book....so I made up some stats and powers based on the librarian powers. I haven't playtested it at all but I'm interested to see what y'all think.

Weirdboy (Elite)

The Weirdboy has similar abilities/talents as an Ork Boy with the following changes:

50 WS, 25 BS, WP 50, 35 Wounds

Swift Attack

Weirdboy Staff:(d10+12 I, Pen 5, Balanced, Special)

Psy Rating 5:

1. Mork’s Gaze : arcs or crackling green lightning leap out from the Weirdboyz’ eyes and strike a random enemy within PRx10m doing 1d10xPR, Pen=PR energy damage. For every 2 degrees of success on the focus power test, another arc is generated. The same target may not be struck twice. Half action, attack, not opposed, not sustained

2. Smog of da Waagh!: opening its jaw impossibly wide while bellowing a tremendous “Waagh!”, a translucent green fog emanates from the Weirdboyz’s mouth. Whipped into a psychic frenzy, all Orks within a 20m radius of the Weirdboy may make an additional standard attack each round while this power is in effect. All non-Orks within the area must succeed on a Opposed Willpower test or suffer -10 to all actions until the power ends. Area moves with Weirdboy if sustained. Full action, may be sustained, not opposed

3. Grot Toss : manifesting a pair of massive ork hands in the air, the Weirdboy may toss up to 1xPR Orks no farther than 5xPR meters, including himself. Orks moving in this way who end the movement in melee combat count as having used the “charge” action. If an Ork did not end the movement in melee, it may act normally. Half action, movement, not opposed, not sustained

4. Gork’s Foot : crying to the heavens, the Weirdboy beseeches Gork to smash its foes. The wind begins to howl as dark clouds swirl above. Without warning, a massive green foot rushes down from the clouds and stomps on an area within 30m of the Weirdboy. Any creature caught in the area suffers 1d10xPR, Pen=PR impact damage. The area’s size is 2xPR. Full action, attack, not opposed, not sustained

Edited by Snerded

Nice, I like it. I'm pretty sure I've seen extra peril tables for orks, but I'm not sure which book those were in(not even sure if it was a DW book). Might have been The Navis Primer from rogue trader.

Not bad, those powers do stack up when compared to the Marine powers in the core and Tyranid powers from Mark of the Xenos, but if you do decide to increase the Psy Rating or Push with Gork's Foot or Mork's Gaze it will will begin to function much like the Tyranid Super-laser (Warp Lace on page 30 of Mark of the Xenos), or as I now call it: Whoops, there went that brand new Land Raider, though Smite can get just as bad. Is it just me or do Psykers in Deathwatch generally become "Dodge or die" really quickly?

And you're correct Avdnm, there are existing Ork Weirdboy statistics in The Navis Primer (Rogue Trader) on page 130, and also in The Tome of Blood (Black Crusade) on page 82 and the Only War Core Rulebook on page 368.

And you're correct Avdnm, there are existing Ork Weirdboy statistics in The Navis Primer (Rogue Trader) on page 130, and also in The Tome of Blood (Black Crusade) on page 82 and the Only War Core Rulebook on page 368.

I was refering more to the perils than the stats, because if I remember correctly they were quite fun.

Also, to be honest, in DW you have the most powerful psykers in fight. It should be "Dodge or die" after all.

I think my favorite is grot toss...takes away the "dodge or die" aspect while being hilarious

Avdnm, I found the perils for waaagh magic in the Only War book and am using those with slight modifications

Edited by Snerded

Suggestion, might want to drop some of their stats. Looking at the most recent codex I have (4th ed though Deathwatch Books seem based on content from around 4 - 5th ed), they were WS 4 and a Warboss was WS 5 so propose taking their WS down to somewhere in the early 40's maybe high 30's. A Warboss in Mark of the Xenos is about mid 50's and a Weirdboy is no way going to be as good at hitting something as one of those. Same probably for its BS. Might nudge it down a few.

Interesting selection of powers as well, there are also some nice fluff ones as well if you're after ideas

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork_Psychic_Powers

My personal favourite are things like Psychic Vomit (probably act like a flamer with lots of nasty effects) or the good ol' Zzap! Orks though don't have much control over their psychic abilities compared to other races and propose that you allow a bit of randomisation with their powers in that you either dice roll what gets used and/or add an option for it to backfire (which it can do) and inflict damage on itself. Ork Weirdboys are barely contained psychic essence which rely on latent psychic abilities of other orks and there are times when they cannot contain themselves which is why they have a power of "'Eadbang" causing their heads and of nearby orks to go pop.