2nd Ed Stopgap - Aptitudes instead of Ranks

By Shadow070mni, in Rogue Trader House Rules

I am a fan of RT but having had some time to look over the rules for DH2, I found that I prefer the advancement system there.

In fact, I am thinking of using the rules from DH2 and just adding the 'missing' parts from RT, (like Ship rules, etc).

While some parts are easy to model (most Careers become Backgrounds easily enough), there is some things that are a little trickier. Likewise some of the roles played in RT are not among the Roles (capital R for rules/OOC) in DH2.

So I am going to use this space to brainstorm, get feedback and develop a set of Stopgap rules until RT2 comes out...Assuming FFG doesn't shoot itself in the foot.

Basic Character Gen Issues:

Navigators & Rogue Traders

Both of these are pretty essential roles in RT. Both are probberly best represented by Elite Advancements. Unfortunately Rogues are more a social class than a role, as there is no reason a Trader can't/won't want to fulfil another Roles.

All the training and basic prep for assuming a Dynasty is more of a Background anyway. Actually it is entirely possible to model Navigator houses as well. Maybe a 'Noble Inheritor' Background?

Still all the Official DH2 Elite Advances come with their own special advances. Not a problem for Navi's, their powers fit that niche. Haven't worked how it'll work for Rogues though.

I don't own any DH2 books. As for a past test of trying to combine DH1 characters into RT rules, it just didn't jive. So I reverted back to the basic KISS method (keep it simply silly). I stuck with the rules as written, and corrected from there. So, if you are new to DH and RT, and have a new group players that are the same, then keep it simple and stick with the initial rules of the game. Example: If playing RT, use RT characters and rules; if playing DH2 then use those rules. When you start importing characters and rules from other systems, issues will inevitably come along. They might be minor, like NPC's either being weaker or tougher, or they could be more significant, like class and archeotype compatibilities, as you mentioned above with Navigators.

All this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If you and your fellow members are experienced players with the systems you mentioned, then jump right in with the rule changes. Best ask for their input and assistance too though, as I have no doubt it would be daunting.

Anyhoot, to better assist you, I would recommend to start a list of everything that would need to be converted over into DH2 rules. Like Navigator and some Astropath powers, talents, and special abilities. Maybe weapon categories, classifications, damage, etc, if you wish to import certain elements of it from RT to DH2RT. NPC adversaries. Profit Factor. Ship actions and the skills the new skills they would relate to, etc etc.

Once you have the list of differences (with maybe the pro's and cons of each to see what is better), then you can come back to specific areas and modify them. Just another recommendation though. Can't help you much more than that, because I don't own any DH2 books. Best of luck to you and your group!

In response to this thread, I've endeavored to flesh out a Rogue Trader in Dark Heresy 2nd Edition format. So far, here's what I have. The way I see it, seperating the Warrant of Trade and the Dynasty Aspect of the Rogue Trader works the best. Feel free to discuss pros or cons Shadow.

Backgrounds:

Dynasty Scion Background

Navis Nobilite Background

Roles:

Trader

Seneschal

Pilot

Elite Advances:

Warrant of Trade Elite Advance

Navigator Elite Advance

Void-Master Elite Advance

Edited by Cogniczar

I had to do a similar conversion, as my group was transitioning some characters from OW to RT. As it was time to advance specialize, most of the players (including myself) advanced specialized into RT roles. The tough part about this was reconciling the superior advancement/combat system of OW with RT. The hardest part was the aptitudes, naturally. I had to create a list of aptitudes for all the RT specialties, so that it would work.

In OW the standard specialties have six aptitudes each. However, looking at the prices for skills/characteristic advances/talents in RT, it was evident that most roles had more than that. The Void-Master, for example, has seven aptitudes. This was done to match the experience point costs of advancements in RT to what aptitudes those would require in OW. The Rogue Trader has nine aptitudes, which seems kind of OP until I came to the conclusion this game is about being OP. So it works so far.

I'm pretty sure this psyker homebrew has an elite advance or two in there for an astropath transcendent. Maybe one for a navigator too.

Also a bunch of other useful psyker stuff as well designed for DH2 and OW.

In response to this thread, I've endeavored to flesh out a Rogue Trader in Dark Heresy 2nd Edition format. So far, here's what I have. The way I see it, seperating the Warrant of Trade and the Dynasty Aspect of the Rogue Trader works the best. Feel free to discuss pros or cons Shadow.

Backgrounds:

Dynasty Scion Background

Navis Nobilite Background

Roles:

Trader

Seneschal

Pilot

Elite Advances:

Warrant of Trade Elite Advance

Navigator Elite Advance

Void-Master Elite Advance

Link doesn't work...anyone has these files?

Huh, yea it attempts to go to the Dark Reign forum but ultimately fails. You might be able to search their forum for the info, if Cogniczar posted it all there.

all my stuff is over here. Dark Reign is more or less officially dead now.

Did not know that. :(