Run structure and architect

By Flatline, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

I found a possible problem on how the timing structure of a run is described in the official netrunner FAQ ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrunner/support/FAQ/Android-Netrunner%20FAQ.pdf ).

In particular, it states in step 2.1, that the runner approaches the OUTERMOST piece of ICE protecting a server.

If you have architect installed in a server, it triggers, and the corp installs a new ICE in the same server, this new ICE becomes the outermost piece of ICE by definition. So interpretating literally the FAQ, this means that the runner will have to face this new ICE (instead of the one just after the Architect that just triggered), basically resetting the run.

I am pretty sure the designers never meant this, I'm just signalling this so it can be discussed and (in case) corrected in new versions of the FAQ.

This, of course, unless I am totally wrong :P

Edited by Flatline

Nope. If that was true, it would happen REGARDLESS of Architect installing new ICE - it would happen on any multi-ICE server.

It's actually step 2 (not 2.1) and your wording is misremembered, or out of date. From the latest FAQ:

The Runner APPROACHES the outermost piece of ice not already approached on the attacked server.

Emphasis mine.

So wait...if Architect is in position 2, and installs Ice in Position 3, after the encounter does the Runner have to go BACK to to the outermost ice, before proceeding inward to whatever's in position 1?!

So wait...if Architect is in position 2, and installs Ice in Position 3, after the encounter does the Runner have to go BACK to to the outermost ice, before proceeding inward to whatever's in position 1?!

...huh. Now I get the OP's point... HAHAHA that's hilarious... I suspect an FAQ update is in order, otherwise Minelayer does this too

EDIT Gonna send this to Lukas later for confirmation submitted, I'll post back when we have an answer

Edited by CommissarFeesh

I'm sure that wasn't the intention but that is pretty funny.

Lukas ruled that "passed" an ice always includes all ice outside the ice just passed. So that just needs to be in the next FAQ.

The timing structure still needs to be updated though. You don't have to approach ICE to pass it (see Copycat). I humbly suggest therefore that in addition to that being added to the FAQ, timing step 2 be reworded as

The Runner APPROACHES the outermost piece of ice not already passed on the attacked server.

Edited by CommissarFeesh

This was addressed in the latest FAQ. The rulings here were correct i.e. you just continue forward, you do not move backwards to encounter the new ICE.

Edited by ddbrown30