USA team is the first Confed team finalist

By Old Ben, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

I learned in the last past years on these boards that the usual US-citizen doens´t seem to be keen on soccer, at least not half als mad about soccer as the usual European- citizen is. And at least there´s one Simpsons epsiode about soccer that seems to back up my impression.

So it´s up to me to start this topic and to mention that the US team did a great job by kicking Spain out of the contest and become the first Confed Cup finalist. To good i haven´t placed a bet on the outcome of the game, i would have easily lost a lot by predicting a 3:0 (or more) for Spain. ;-)

Nice job, i´m really looking forward to the final (Brasil or South Africa wil become the second finalist).

I watched every second of the game and was stunned each time we scored and each time spain didn't score (man they are a good team). I think in America you have had to play soccer to really appreciate it. That said it is a growing sport (both in playing and watching) as evidenced by the MLS expansion. I know that around me (especially in the suburbs and outer counties) soccer is huge as it is in a lot of spots in California.

I'm going to have to get a #15 demerit jersey. I just love the way he plays centerback. Also, i usually don;t like onweyu (sp?) but he had the best game i've seen form him in a US jersey. Dempsey, dispite scoring huge goals, just is too inconsistient w/ his hustle level for me (see the first two games) and at times this was true against spain.

I don't see us winning the Confed Cup, mainly becuase i don't see S. Africa beating brazil to give us a chance to. However, if we play consistiently as good as did in flashes (w/ the ball more so then w/out) they could surprise again, but i think your only allowed two miracles in one tournamnet, no?

Btw, how the hell was that tackle late in the game a red card?!?!?!?! Freaking refs are bad no matter what sport or what country....

I also wondered about that red card, it seemed to be simply a disposal of the referee- a yellow card okay, but not a red card.

I don´t know much about the strength of the individual US player, because most of them aren´t playing in soccer clubs around here. There are a few exceptions Michael Bradley is playing in Germany and Landon Donovan had a very, very short engagement in Munich. But the essence of the game for me is that they played good as a team and fought for their success and that´s what made the whole game so attractive. And i agree Spain is not without a reason ranked as worlds no.1 team, they didn´t capitulate, not even for a single moment, but the 2:0 came at the right time and was a gamebreaker.

So if they could win against Spain, they could also win against Brasil - which should be easier at the moment, because Brasil wasn´t that good in their latest games. Okay they´ve won 3:0 aigainst Italy, but that was because Italy played so weak and far beyond their possibilities in the whole contest.

Ókay, so the final is Brasil VS. USA. But it´s not like it needs a miracle for the US team to win, Brasil played so bad today and was really lucky to win the game. I´m crossing my fingers for the US team on sunday.

It's just a **** shame Bradley has to miss the final. He's a great solid midfielder for the US, and that red card can't be much more than anything but a consolation gift to Spain from the referee in my opinion. Totally lame.

And Lars, I was in fact just having that conversation with my brother yesterday about Demerit. He's not flashy or overly exceptional, but very consistent and dependable. He ran up and down the field with Torres all afternoon, and thats no easy feat at any level.

When Donovan gets motivated he really propels the whole team. And against Spain he was absolutely everywhere on the pitch. I'm really looking forward to the game this Sunday.

And finally, South Africa really looked great against Brasil today. They got unlucky with that free kick in what the 88th minute? But I think they were just as likely to take it as anyone for 99% of the play. Good showing.

I just remember back to the 3-0 spanking brazil laid on us in the group stage....it was so easy for them to do what ever they wanted. I forget his name, but their striker was all over the place.

Either way i'm excited for sunday.

holy ******* ****!

completely different team. Heart and hustle now w/ talent.

Hoping this holds up!

no shame in 2nd place, especially with the work it took to get there. Even if a disappointing result (although i'm encouraged becauase i excpeted the result before the game, but not after the 1st half).

The spain game (defending so much) and lack of depth really caught up w/ us. The red card hurt, fellhapper (in Bradely's position) had a solid first half but dropped off in the second and the guy the subbed in for him was horrid.

I really like this team, they need to work on a number of things though. 1) Their abilty in the air in the front half...don't think we one even 10% of headers in that area. 2) decision making...a lot of silly too quick desicions, especially by clark and davies. 3) recieving passes/first touches....watch brazil if you need to, they keep control of the ball and set everything up with a first touch.

Both teams played very good today. And i must say that in the end Brasil deserved to win, they were really going for 45 minutes poer play and suceeded. But the US team made a good game anyway, i think that they just got the 2:1 to fast. And they were lucky in one situation, that ball was definetely over the line of the goal !

Anyway a good and enjoyable game afterall, both teams put up a fight till the end.

Lars said:

no shame in 2nd place, especially with the work it took to get there. Even if a disappointing result (although i'm encouraged becauase i excpeted the result before the game, but not after the 1st half).

The spain game (defending so much) and lack of depth really caught up w/ us. The red card hurt, fellhapper (in Bradely's position) had a solid first half but dropped off in the second and the guy the subbed in for him was horrid.

I really like this team, they need to work on a number of things though. 1) Their abilty in the air in the front half...don't think we one even 10% of headers in that area. 2) decision making...a lot of silly too quick desicions, especially by clark and davies. 3) recieving passes/first touches....watch brazil if you need to, they keep control of the ball and set everything up with a first touch.

Totally agree with #3 - that was very apparent whenever Brazil would break/counter vs when we would. Very often the USA fast break was lost because of a poor first touch (the notable exception being on our 2nd goal). Hopefully #1 will be remedied next year by a healthy Brian Ching. IMO, he's just a huge key for us, as nobody else is equal to his ability to win the ball in the air & hold up play. A healthy Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers) could help concern #2 above also. I envision pairing him with Bradley in the midfield - that would give 2 central midfielders who are well -rounded, with a better ability on the ball/under pressure, who can complete passes (something I never see Klejstan do), and able to make a tackle defensively. Then Clark & Feilhaber would add depth, each give you a little something different.

Feilhaber needs to go to a club where he can play more, same for Altidore and Freddy Adu. It'll be interesting to see if clubs come calling for/are willing to pay transfer fees for Demerit (Watford - played very well 2 years ago before they were relegated) or Onyewu (rumors of bigger clubs every year).

It was a fun little run, but they were obviously out of gas in the 2nd half from defending too much. 31 shots allowed (I think that was the final tally)? That's just a ton - I'm no expert, but that seems like more than I can remember even in and EPL game with one of the big 4 against a team bound for relegation.

I do expect them to qualify, and think that advancing to the round of 16 is a reasonable expectation since this next world cup is not in Europe. Though, unless they change the was they do the draw, there's a strong chace we get the Group of Death (pretty much some combo of a CONCACAF, African and 2 European teams).