Saw this post on Andy Chamber's FB feed.

By UncleSickey, in Black Crusade

So following The Wire analogy... That would make Cypher Omar? I think I'm ok with that.

It's .. an interesting post, but falls a bit flat in terms of consistency. Apart from those 10,000 years not actually being 10,000 years (what was that with time in the Warp?), it's a bit misleading to point to the Havok's heavy stubber whilst ignoring that the real bog-standard Chaos Space Marine still gets a boltgun that is identical to the boltgun handed to Veteran Loyalist Deathwatch Marines. Resource shortages, indeed..

Whilst not problematic per se, it propagates that dreaded, dangerous myth that 40k has a unified canon where different sources are actually supposed to supplement each other, rather than being "different lenses through which we can view the setting", as Aaron Dembski-Bowden put it. Andy Hoare himself had previously said so in a comment on ADB's blog as well.

It could have been so easy: "Why is Horus' bolter crap in 40k but good in 30k? Because 30k is a different book written by different people. /thread"

But I suppose it's possible that the author just underestimated how certain parts of the fandom will interpret this blogpost. If it were not for that controversy, I admit his suggestion is a nice in-setting explanation for people looking for one.

That being said, I like how he explained the nature of Chaos warbands and of the conflict between Chaos and the Imperium itself. That passage was very well written, and even somewhat inspirational. I'd certainly recommend that part to anyone who wants to try some Black Crusade.

Edited by Lynata

Plus it also forgets a key component:

Horus' bolter in 30K and the same weapon (wielded by Abaddon) in 40K are different because they were written by two different writers, years apart, and with seemingly no appreciation for rules consistency.

BYE