1d10 of fire damage when being ablaze: does TB apply?

By egalor, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

The rulebook says, that if one catches fire , next round he suffers 1d10 hits (without the reduction for armour).

Does Toughness Bonus allow reduction when suffering damage from being ablaze?

Logic dictates no, otherwise if the victim has a TB of 4, or unnatural Toughness he would be very resistant or even almost immune to fire.

Santiago said:

Logic dictates no, otherwise if the victim has a TB of 4, or unnatural Toughness he would be very resistant or even almost immune to fire.

IMHO, the logic would dictate otherwise, because the one with TB=10 should suffer from the same amount of fire exposure considerably less than the one with TB=4. Right?

Since the book specifically says fire ignores armor and does not mention TB at all, I would assue this means TB reduces damage from fire, even when on fire.

From a players who catches on fire often, trust me that this does not cheapen the effect of being on fire. It is still virtually impossible to put yourself out, and even with a TB of 4, you'll still be taking damage more often than not and if you're like me you'll roll 10's ever round and kill yourself quickly (thank the Emperor for Fate points) partido_risa.gif

Emprah_Horus said:

Since the book specifically says fire ignores armor and does not mention TB at all, I would assue this means TB reduces damage from fire, even when on fire.

Actually, the rulebook says, that the player " loses 1d10 wounds ", and not " gets a hit bypassing armour ", where TB is applied.

I'm frustrated. I don't like inconsistencies like these, because that might mean the difference between losing and winning far too often!

Say you get hit with a fire bomb, or by a flamer, the flames/napalm will find it's way into the nooks and crannies between the armor and your flesh. So it DOES bypass your armor.

I would say that Toughness will dampen the fire damage, as long as its the only time it's used that round to absorb damage.

So does TB substract each round when one is on fire?

Or not?

egalor said:

Emprah_Horus said:

Actually, the rulebook says, that the player " loses 1d10 wounds ", and not " gets a hit bypassing armour ", where TB is applied.

I'm frustrated. I don't like inconsistencies like these, because that might mean the difference between losing and winning far too often!

I apologize for not having the book on me and being unable to quote the book from my head.

Either way, the book does not say "ignoring toughness bonus" as it does in every other place where toughness does not apply. Therefore, unless there is another rule that states otherwise, TB will apply and reduce the damage.

#2 DH is not about winning and losing, in the end the Imperium will lose as it has been since the Emperor entombed himself on the throne

Thanks, Emprah Wimfrey! :)

Will discuss it further with my crew.

egalor said:

What is the Imperium coming too when you can just mock Horus and not be fearful of the ruinous powers....sigh

Emprah_Horus said:

egalor said:

What is the Imperium coming too when you can just mock Horus and not be fearful of the ruinous powers....sigh

Horus got his butt kicked by a right guy, so me be no afraid of him :) (for now, at least)

Actually, the exact wording of the rule for fire damage is:

"Once you are blazing, you lose 1d10 Wounds (with no reduction for armour) and take 1 level of Fatigue each Round until the fire is extinguished."

That seems to indicate that it is specifically bypassing armour and not toughness.

And don't forget that the rules of fire say that once on fire, the victim can not perform any actions other than running around screaming and attempting to put the flames out. Thats a nice tidbit to use.

...and regardless of any damage that gets past the Toughness (or not), the victim takes 1 level of fatigue. They can only last for a few rounds being on fire before they go unconscious from fatigue...

So, that T4 deamonic Toughness critter might not take much, if any, actual damage from the fire, but after 4 rounds (or is it 5? I can't remember if it is equal to or exceeds T), it goes unconscious which is about as good.