Encounter 3 Questions

By ithorian123, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

Hi all,

I have two questions concerning encounter 3 in the adventure book:

1.) What happens if you don't convince Toor to not give away your position? I mean, what if the PC's fail to stop it from triggering the alarm? Does it even trigger the alarm? Also, can the PC's try to convince it over and over and over again without getting setback dice because it's getting tired of them trying to convince it?

2.) In the despair sidebar, it says that if the PC's roll a despair, they accidentally trigger an alarm to alert the base to their presence. What happens then? There are no encounters for that situation.

Thanks a ton!

1.) What happens if you don't convince Toor to not give away your position? I mean, what if the PC's fail to stop it from triggering the alarm? Does it even trigger the alarm? Also, can the PC's try to convince it over and over and over again without getting setback dice because it's getting tired of them trying to convince it?

I would allow the dice to determine that. Failure with advantage means Toor may only alarm the nearest patrol group instead of the entire base. Failure with threat could alarm a single wing of the base. Failure with despair could alarm the entire base.

To answer the second part of your question, that's all in how you want to rule it. A skill check should represent your best effort in a given task under the current circumstances. If they failed (regardless of the roll) they tried their best. I wouldn't allow a reroll unless the circumstances changed.

For example: They failed to convince Toor to let them be without raising a fuss, but upon second thought, the Bothan decides to remove his restraining bolt. Toor now thinks the PCs may not be so bad, so the group wants try again at convincing him to let them be.

2.) In the despair sidebar, it says that if the PC's roll a despair, they accidentally trigger an alarm to alert the base to their presence. What happens then? There are no encounters for that situation.

The base is now at full alert.

In situations like these, it's good to think bout how the NPCs will react.

It's likely that the guards will now be increasing patrols and guarding all critical locations (the Sig Int array, the shuttle, the garage, and the commander).

The Commander is going to monitor the situation, and once he figured out it's a Rebel incursion and not a false alarm or crazy locals, he's going to make for the AT/ST and book it to the com tower.

I like what kaosoe said.

Were it me, I would simply try and put myself into the mind of of the droid, and then, if necessary, the base's command staff. Adjudicate the dice properly (Failure doesn't have to mean everything suddenly goes horrible; it can just mean that certain complications arise), and then roleplay accordingly. If the alarm triggers, the base would be on alert, so think for yourself what that would mean if you were the commanding officer of a secret Imperial listening post.

As that commanding officer I would prioritize keeping the base secret and functioning, keep the locals away, and deal with intruders by leaving no witnesses; that is what the Stormtroopers do best, eh? :)