Dodge, how does it work?

By GeneralSturnn, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Alright, so, in one of my games, players have been using Dodge A LOT, now I honestly don't think it's possible, but what exactly CAN'T you dodge?

because IIRC anything faster than an Arrow cannot be dodged and Arrows are still just a possibility cannot be dodged.

I'm calling BS on dodging Bullets, but they seem to think so.

Alright, so, in one of my games, players have been using Dodge A LOT, now I honestly don't think it's possible, but what exactly CAN'T you dodge?

because IIRC anything faster than an Arrow cannot be dodged and Arrows are still just a possibility cannot be dodged.

I'm calling BS on dodging Bullets, but they seem to think so.

You can dodge most standard attacks, including gunfire-- the idea being that the Acolyte is weaving around and out of the line of fire as the trigger is pulled, thus causing the gunner to miss their shot. Hell, there's even a Psychic Power (Catch Projectiles) in which a Psyker is able to straight up grab bullets out of the air.

Almost all attack actions can be dodged. About the only ones that can't be are certain Psychic Powers, and explosive weapons-- a person can only dodge an explosive weapon if their Agility Bonus is higher than the blast radius of the explosive.

The thing you're recalling about bullets is most likely a reference to the Deflect Projectiles talent, which allows an Acolyte to use a Parry action to block a ranged attack (as you can normally only Parry melee attacks). The talent specifically notes it cannot be used against bullets or lasers, and is thus largely effective only against arrows, thrown weapons, etc. But you can use dodge against almost any attack.

Remember though, unless you have the Step Aside talent, you only get one Dodge (or Parry) action per round, which means an Acolyte (or an enemy) can be overwhelmed with multiple attacks. Additionally, if avoiding Full-Auto or even Semi-Auto attack, the dodger must match or exceed the degrees of success the attacker gets or they will still get hit by some of the shots. So it's great if your opponent's using something like a Hand Cannon or Stub Revolver, but dodging a full-auto burst from an Auto Pistol or Heavy Stubber is where it gets dicey.

Edited by ColArana

I have no doubt a Psyker can dodge/catch them, and Ogryn's/Marines/anyone in Power Armour doesn't really need to dodge them

Ganger Fires a full auto burst at someone in Power Armour

fails to roll high enough

Guy in Power Armour:"Really?"

Ganger Fires a full auto burst at someone in Power Armour

fails to roll high enough

Guy in Power Armour:"Really?"

Well, that is rather the point of Power Armor. An Acolyte's trading in a lot to be able to essentially laugh off anything short of a plasma gun.

...what exactly CAN'T you dodge?

The main limitation is that you have to be aware of the attack to be able to Dodge it. So, a thug standing in front of you with an autopistol? Yep . A sniper with a silenced rifle hiding in a 'duck blind' half a kilometer away? Nope .

Houseruling the need to exceed the DoS on roll to hit with evasion roll is also logical.

Houseruling the need to exceed the DoS on roll to hit with evasion roll is also logical.

Perhaps, but this also shifts the balance of gameplay. There have been many threads on this topic, with some rather passionate arguments for both sides.

Just be aware that this is not a "small fix" but a rather significant change which gives a large advantage to skilled combatants, and further "screw" less martially inclined characters who picked up Dodge to help their sorry, squishy asses survive a little longer.

Ie: a Dodge skill of 33% will no longer mean you avoid every third hit, because it will be next to useless vs an Aimed (+10), Accurate (+10) shot or a Full Auto Burst (+20) from a semi-skilled gunman (BS 40) at Short Range (+10). The numbers speak for themselves: Attacking at 70% is going to make it VERY unlikely that the poor Adept will ever succeed with sufficient DoS to actually manage an Evasion.

That might be what you want to achieve, but it makes paying XP for defensive skills less valuable, and those non-martial characters are already paying high XP costs for those skills.

Edit: Playing with the combat rules from 2nd Edition as we do, it further skews things. Attacks are almost always made with a bonus to your attack score, while Dodge is usually rolled at base Agility for those "Squishies", and their Agility is often low.

Edited by Darth Smeg

I like my combat being quick, deadly and brutal.