Opinions on a villain.

By Haackv2, in Game Masters

Hey everyone, semi-new GM here trying to create an interesting story for some equally new players. I've hammered out most of the details for the first couple sessions, but I need some help telling if this would be a quality villian for the laung haul, or if hes to cliche or something like that. Also could use some help figuring out how exactly to work him in the story.

His name is Ozi (As in firelord Ozi) and he's a middle aged Alreraainian male. Once a proud member of the Imperial navy, he promptly resigned from his post as the commanding officer of a Star Destroyer to seek vengance on those wishing to exploit the destruction of his homeworld for personal gain. Commanding a crew of similarly distraught Aderaanians, he roams 'The Graveyard' on the highly militarized coreelian corvette he calls his own, striking down any pirates or smugglers trying to make a profit in the area.

Have stats for him as well if theres any interest.

Might just be me, but he doesn't sound like much of a villain. In what way will he oppose the PCs? Why would they butt heads?

Agreed. If you want to set him up as the BBEG, you need a reason to throw him against the PCs, and for him to want to pursue the PCs.

Also, the Empire has lots of corruption and individual authority. If you want him to have more resources, have him be an Imperial Captain with a position and/or mission description that gives him the authority to act more independently.

Well seeing as the PC's need cash, I could say that the players have some rare Alderaanian treasure (ie, Famous Artwork, Fancy Wine, crowned jewels) that Ozi wants back, to help restore his culture or whatever, therefore giving him a reason to come after the party.

Are any of your PCs from Alderaan as well? Maybe they're trying to recover an heirloom or family treasure from the Graveyard and your captain is so overzealous and vengeful that he mistakes the PC as a profiteer or smuggler.

I think it's a fertile concept for play, as long as there's either an explicit or thematic connection between the character and the party. Something that will make him resonate with the party instead of being just another enemy.

Perhaps something more personal is needed?

For example he was present aboard the Death Star and had a hand in Tarkin's decision to blow up Alderaan?

Maybe he's already scavenging the remains and wants to insure no one discovers this nor gets away with what he feels is his rightful property?

But what if he isn't the rightful heir of the position he's using to explain his war on those who scavenge Alderaan's remains?

Maybe he's afraid they find proof that he's an imposter an Imperial set up to assume that identity and now he's been ordered into his current role to lure unwary rebel sympathisers including Princess Leia herself so they can be captured?

Could be many reasons for his actions... perhaps he's searching for evidence that his family or loved ones survived the destruction... better yet he's looking for their estate for their legacy something the PCs would love to find...

Thanks to all the replies, I should have everything down soon. Thanks everyone!

I always know I have a good villain, the players one shot him.

The ones that last 5 sessions are those you least expect.

I would say, as you've described him, he sounds like a fun NPC to encounter because he sounds almost sympathetic to me.

I can envision him roaming the Graveyard space and sometimes being on the side of the players, but opposing them if they're trying to salvage or take advantage of the space he considers sacred.

That's a cool hook to me.

See, that's why you need to stage your master villains carefully. If they manage to escape encounter after encounter, he'll quickly become annoying and the players will hate it when he shows up. You need to arrange it to have his name show up, to have him show up in instances they cant fight him, to have him work through The Dragon and communicate through holocalls.

If you're lucky, if you stage the encounter correctly, you MIGHT be able to get away with a " Nobody Could have Survived That " death once - but you have to be VERY careful in pulling that off.

However, if properly staged, the first showdown, the final showdown will be badassed.

See, that's why you need to stage your master villains carefully. If they manage to escape encounter after encounter, he'll quickly become annoying and the players will hate it when he shows up.

Yeah, he'll quickly become the Bowser to your Mario, the Eggman to your Sonic, or the Sephiroth to your Cloud

See, that's why you need to stage your master villains carefully. If they manage to escape encounter after encounter, he'll quickly become annoying and the players will hate it when he shows up. You need to arrange it to have his name show up, to have him show up in instances they cant fight him, to have him work through The Dragon and communicate through holocalls.

If you're lucky, if you stage the encounter correctly, you MIGHT be able to get away with a " Nobody Could have Survived That " death once - but you have to be VERY careful in pulling that off.

However, if properly staged, the first showdown, the final showdown will be badassed.

I recently had a villain that I had planned on recurring run away as soon as the PCs landed a crit on her.

One thing that this game has taught me as a GM is that combats don't need to be to-the-death every single time. Teaching the players that requires a bit more finesse, though, sometimes.

Maybe Ozi is insane. His desire to protect things Alderaanian has become an obsession which is becoming more and more irrational.

Maybe Ozi is insane. His desire to protect things Alderaanian has become an obsession which is becoming more and more irrational.

Perhaps he oversees the debris in the way a minister might oversee their church. He could have a pseudo-spiritual obligation that connects him to the graveyard. Perhaps he's Force sensitive and doesn't even realise it; driven to commit irrational deeds by the reverberations of the Dark Side and the echoes of the dead billions.

I love the idea of a.symphetic villian.

what if the death of alderaan had driven him a little insane with grief. he could start out as a hero type, but then start to devolve.accuse random freighters of smuggling alderaan artifacts. maybe the PCs even had a hand in it.

or one of the PCs family could have been on the death star, a soldier or a support that had no role in the destruction. but was there, and so they must suffer as he is.

alternatively, and really away from your idea,how about using him as a contact. a young group that caught his eye and thanks bringing him a priceless painting alderaan sculpture from am imperial generals private collection. he could use them to get others. or hits in imperial officers who had a hand in the destruction.

edit: fixed auto correct

Edited by miishelle