The End Times

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Wow... I've been talking to some people about End Times: Thanquol, and the whole Warhammer Fantasy world is certainly being turned on it's head.

I know rumors are rumors, but some of the crazier ones seem to be coming true. I wont post any spoilers here, if you looks up thanquol spoilers, and limit your search to this week, you'll find plenty... Or just look up Warhammer End Times Rumors.

Anyway, with this level of upheaval, I'm hoping more and more that Diskwars will survive. I know that GW could role back the whole End Times thing like they did Storm of Chaos, but if they don't, this game may very well be the last vestige of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles I love. As I've said a number of times, however far they carry this game, I'm good. But now, I really hope they fill everything out. I want every unit ever hinted at in WHFB to have a disk. I'll be playing this game for a long time to come, no matter what.

I've been hoping we might see Diskwars get an End Times expansion too! It seems like they are doing some cool stuff, and really changing up the game as it's been known... Wouldn't mind being able to run Nagash himself as the Lord of my Vampire Counts. :-)

I wasn't exactly thinking that, though it would be awesome.

I was more thinking of DW fleshing out all of the old units of WHFB. Some of the rumors are pretty crazy, and what came out in Thanquol seems to support a lot of them. Crazy to the point that whatever 9th ED looks like, if the rumors are correct, they may as well rename the series and start from 1st ed.

That said, I'm not your usual doom and gloomer. I'll give whatever comes next a fair shake. But, if the upheaval is that great, I'd also love to have all of the old WHFB stuff preserved in this game. There are many races I never played, but would have liked to, many army builds I'd have liked to try, but couldn't afford. DW has made a lot of that stuff possible for me. I'd have sure loved to play Bretonians, but if all the ET rumors hold true, I may have missed that opportunity...

Unless FFG keeps rolling out the DW expansions.

Yeah, the End Times stuff I have seen/heard is truly changing the game and massively changing the fluff as well, so it will be interesting to see what happens with Fantasy as a whole moving forward. As far as Diskwars, I am curious to see if the expansions stay "old-school" and pre-end times, or if they have been holding them back in order to watch things shake out a bit and then move forward in the new End Times world. I doubt the latter scenario is the case, but you never know, it could be possible.

I am not that worried about Diskwars, but if I was a Fantasy player I can tell you I my head would be spinning right now, simply because the game is changing so drastically. I guess GW could always wave the magic wand and make End Times go the way of Storm of Chaos like you said, but it will interesting to see either way what happens to Fantasy.

If the rumors about WHFB are true, then there won't be much left that we recognize once everything is already done. But ignoring the rumors, and just looking at what's happened in the books.

***Spoilers Ahead****

Khemri is a wasteland, even by undead standards.

Ulthuan is gone

Naggaroth emptied

Lustria destroyed

Dwarves beaten out of their holds

Slaan left in giant space ships

Brettonia destroyed

Balthazar Gelt is a necromancer

This is just the tip of the iceberg. It doesn't include the myriad of characters who have died, and I haven't read everything yet, so I'm sure I've missed stuff. But I think it's safe to say that unless they pull a Storm of Chaos, nothing can ever be the same. Though I know GW has done some wacky things in the past, somehow I don't think the End Times will be rettconned. It feels more like they are building to a new game. It's no secret, WHFB hasn't performed well financially in the last few years, so a shake up was needed. I'm not sure this is the shake up I want, but it's impossible to be sure until it's all finished.

Which is why I really hope FFG stays in the old WHFB setting for a bit yet. I would like to see armies I never got to play in the mini's game converted to disks so I can play them now. As a person who likes the fluff more than anything else, the change in mechanics won't bother me a bit. Heck, to be honest, I think Diskwars is a more much better put together than WHFB or 40K. Don't get me wrong, I like those games, but their rules and balance aren't half as solid as Diskwars.

To be honest, as optimistic as I've been up to this point, the reveals in Thanquol have sort of got me panicked that some of the wild rumors about the game may be real. In which case, I don't know if there is any future for me at least in the mini's game. Which makes this game all the more important too me.

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

Holy cow! I just read some of the material on End Times. WHFB is becoming really lame (The whole story so far is just stupid!). I am very disappointed. It makes me glad that I got out of the game 3-4 years ago. I hope Diskwars does not go this direction.

To be honest, I really liked the Nagash book, which is the only one, up to now, that I have completely finished. Fantasy needed a shake up. You know, you weren't the only one that left 3-4 years ago. That's been the problem. It's popularity has been diminishing steadily for some time now.

That said, I've been following all the spoilers and talking to people who have the books, mostly because I can't afford them, and what I'm seeing makes me very worried for it's future. I'm not sure the game that comes after this, will look much like the game I'm playing now.

Holy cow! I just read some of the material on End Times. WHFB is becoming really lame (The whole story so far is just stupid!). I am very disappointed. It makes me glad that I got out of the game 3-4 years ago. I hope Diskwars does not go this direction.

I actually agree that the new story doesn't make much sense in some ways. The entire High Elf/Dark Elf/Wood Elf story line in particular borders on nonsensical as far as I can tell, and seems to be a total retcon of almost everything in the fluff prior rather than creative writing that provides an unexpected twist.

Nerdrage enagaged!

To be honest, I really liked the Nagash book, which is the only one, up to now, that I have completely finished. Fantasy needed a shake up. You know, you weren't the only one that left 3-4 years ago. That's been the problem. It's popularity has been diminishing steadily for some time now.

That said, I've been following all the spoilers and talking to people who have the books, mostly because I can't afford them, and what I'm seeing makes me very worried for it's future. I'm not sure the game that comes after this, will look much like the game I'm playing now.

The main reason I left was the ridiculous cost of the game. For me, it was either play 1.) WHFB or 2.) other games that I liked. I went with option #2. The rules weren't the greatest in the world, but I could live with them. I've always liked the fluff and I agree with you that not everything in the End Times storyline is bad (the Nagash idea isn't bad). But when I read the stuff about the Elves (who are my favorite race in the Warhammer World)...c'mon! They've blurred the lines between good and evil beyond recognition.

This is why Diskwars musr survive!

To save what's left of WHFB.

I think the big problem is (and I don't speak for the whole WHFB community) is the cost of the game. If GW would stop charging outrageous prices for the minis and books more people might buy or stay in the game.

I agree the cost is prohibitive, especially if you want to pursue any other hobbies. That was what has always kept me from buying in wholesale.

Also, as you pointed out, the handling of the Elves pretty much makes everything Elf players held dear into a joke, whether you were a supporter of the Druchii, Asur, or Asrai--the result is more or less unrecognizable or completely ridiculous from all perspectives. The first time I read an overview of spoilers form the story line I literally thought some fan of another race was making it all up on the forums just to make all of the Elf players angry.

Only then it was all true...

Edited by Jedhead

I like WHFB. I've been collecting some time now, but I really see it as more of a hobby. I don't get to play often, but I can pull out mini's and assemble and paint them when I have time. I've been working on a Tomb Kings army. But it takes me a long time to do everything, because of life...

What worries me most, is that if they do what the rumors say they will, that most likely includes the invalidation of an army that I have been buying and working on for some time. Sure, I'll still paint what I have left, but I enjoy playing too, when I have time. And that is always the goal, the reason I paint, for those infrequent games. Essentially, if GW nukes the setting, I will loose that goal. Which sucks.

I guess I'll continue to wait and see. I'll keep buying and playing Diskwars (when there is something to buy anyway) but for now my GW purchases are all on hold.

This is why Diskwars musr survive!

To save what's left of WHFB.

True, true.

Edited by Katsuyori

hey guys, anyone know of the order of the novels? can you read the first gotrek and malus book before the 5 main ones?

If you've read rumors about End Times Archaon... Warhammer Fantasy world have blown up :blink:

That´s why I said this game is to end like 3 month ago ;)

Even if the Warhammer tabletop setting changes dramatically... I do not see why that should influence the board game in any way. There should be no problem running two parallel WH settings simultaniously. In my understanding there are just two ways why development of Discwars WH would stop:

First, sales drop dramatically and FFG gets rid of some non-profitable project.

Second, liscence contract for the franchise runs out for any reason.

That may already has happened or not, but let us not jump to conclusions. As long as FFG itself does not announce anything about Discwars I assume that the war rages on, sooner or later.