Suggestion -- Release a Second Edition

By karat, in Android

So, a common opinion of this game is that it is brilliant but has flaws. Unless the sales are much higher than I think they are, an expansion to fix things is unlikely (and doesn't make good business sense). However, there is a lot more interest in the in-house IP due to Netrunner, as well as a few other games in this universe. It could make a lot of sense to clean up some of the odder rules that didn't quite fit (eg the reporter and the snitch, in my opinion) while keeping the core of the game intact. I feel like a second edition would give the game a chance to get a fresh start and make some sales, especially among the Netrunner crowd.

However, I don't know if the new Asmodee overlords might have an opinion on this as well.

Addendum: There is a greater-than-zero chance that this is already underway, but it probably won't happen until the old stock is sold out.

I fervently hope that any second edition does not make Android a "Cluedo" murder mystery with an "actual" murderer that you have to discover. I know you didn't suggest this in your post, but it's a common theme of these message boards and reviews of the game. This is not a failure of design, it is a failure of setting expectations correctly.

The way the game plays out feels very true to the kinds of characters we are dealing with: the "suspects" are friends or enemies of the detectives, or people to whom they owe a debt or against whom they hold a grudge, or whatever... yes, your detective is trying to manipulate the evidence, that's what that part of the game is really about. Maybe the detectives are lying to themselves about their motives, and only the players see it with clarity. Or perhaps the detectives know full well what they are doing, but the ends justify the means...

The same goes for the conspiracy. Your detective tries to link up Jinteki. Why? Because your detective's gonna get whacked otherwise, or the corp will terminate your detective's lover, or any other rationale you want to dream up. I love it. The game is a free-for-all for digging deep into this gritty world...

A review cited a few messages back in this forum said it felt strange that leads are manipulated by a fellow player rather than a die roll. Of course they are! That is your detective manipulating evidence, planting leads, or whatever. Yes, it is a back-stabbing brutal world out there...

I think a second edition should make this clear on the first page of the revised rulebook: that this is not a "Cluedo" style game. So much angst and pain on these forums could be alleviated. A real murder with a neatly tied-up solution? Not in the Android universe.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the reporter and the snitch and possibly getting rid of the car measurement annoyances. A cluedo game would be a different game, in my opinion. Actually, one solution might be to include an official variant. It doesn't hurt me if other people get to play it the way they want if I can play it the way I want.

I personally love android the way it is.

My only gripe would be the conspiracy section of the board, It needs a better mechanic to fit in thematically into the investigation.

Second Edition please!

Edited by Atraangelis

I thought the snitch and reporter made perfect sense. first game I ever played that required you to do leg work to get the initiative....or keep it,

also like the car movers.....wouldn't mind some extra story decks or characters...Maybe add in some hacking mechanic to replace the conspiracy......or influence it,.

I would buy second edition in a heart beat as well

I thought the snitch and reporter made perfect sense. first game I ever played that required you to do leg work to get the initiative....or keep it,

also like the car movers.....wouldn't mind some extra story decks or characters...Maybe add in some hacking mechanic to replace the conspiracy......or influence it,.

Yeah, the cars are really cool. The reporter and snitch feel a little redundant, but that's the thing: while there are a few things I can see streamlining (for example, strong/normal/weak evidence, and I certainly wouldn't mind a "one week" option), that's not the sort of thing that would warrant a whole new edition.

My gut feeling is that they probably will make a second edition, and that they'll "polish" it a little too much. ...Which is better than abandoning it entirely, I guess :unsure: ...

I think all they need to do is release a "revised rulebook" like they did for Tannahauser, that way folks who already own the game don't have to buy it a second time.

Although, with the way they kind of shelved Tannhauser, might not be a great idea either lol

Personally I don't think the game needs 'fixing' at all, but I understand that not everyone feels this way. In its current incarnation the game will always be a niche hit, or cult classic - an update could give it greater market appeal, and I know nothing would take away my original copy, but I do worry about what changes would do to the feel of the game I know and love.

I cast my vote with those who want a revision to Android. The universe is awesome, it needs more awesome games that appeal to a wider audience.

And what happened to Infiltration? Its a great game! I love it. But almost all mention of it has been removed from FFG except in the store, where it is "out of stock"

FFG didn't renew the licence for Infiltration. As such, you'll have to try and either find one second hand, or just unsold somewhere. It may see the light of day again at some point with a new skin, but it won't be in the Android universe.

The game is a bit of a convoluted beast. Hard to get new players into it. A second edition with clearer rules and less fiddle mechanics would be appreciated. With the popularity Netrunner experiences, I would be surprised if they aren't taking a serious look at Android.

Got game few months ago in exchange but still havent gotten to play it. Ive owned maybe 200 hundred boardgames last 10 years but learning this game is quite hard. Maybe need to concentrate more.

Looks really promising though

I love android and will play it in a heart beat.

My only "Fix" thing would be the ending. I would like to see an expansion that names conclusively the actual killer in some form. I always felt this was the weakest point of a great game.

I love android and will play it in a heart beat.

My only "Fix" thing would be the ending. I would like to see an expansion that names conclusively the actual killer in some form. I always felt this was the weakest point of a great game.

And this is a core design point of the game, not a weakness. There SHOULDN'T be a "right" answer before the game begins.

Maybe Android could use an app-aided second edition, to take care of the bookkeeping? They could also add in some lore from all the other Android-related games they've made, since.

That, and I'd like to see an AI hidden in the conspiracy. It's such a standard part of cyberpunk.

On 1/24/2015 at 8:20 AM, instinctive said:

I fervently hope that any second edition does not make Android a "Cluedo" murder mystery with an "actual" murderer that you have to discover. I know you didn't suggest this in your post, but it's a common theme of these message boards and reviews of the game. This is not a failure of design, it is a failure of setting expectations correctly.

The way the game plays out feels very true to the kinds of characters we are dealing with: the "suspects" are friends or enemies of the detectives, or people to whom they owe a debt or against whom they hold a grudge, or whatever... yes, your detective is trying to manipulate the evidence, that's what that part of the game is really about. Maybe the detectives are lying to themselves about their motives, and only the players see it with clarity. Or perhaps the detectives know full well what they are doing, but the ends justify the means... Audacity Find My iPhone O rigin

The same goes for the conspiracy. Your detective tries to link up Jinteki. Why? Because your detective's gonna get whacked otherwise, or the corp will terminate your detective's lover, or any other rationale you want to dream up. I love it. The game is a free-for-all for digging deep into this gritty world...

A review cited a few messages back in this forum said it felt strange that leads are manipulated by a fellow player rather than a die roll. Of course they are! That is your detective manipulating evidence, planting leads, or whatever. Yes, it is a back-stabbing brutal world out there...

I think a second edition should make this clear on the first page of the revised rulebook: that this is not a "Cluedo" style game. So much angst and pain on these forums could be alleviated. A real murder with a neatly tied-up solution? Not in the Android universe.

My solitary complain would be the connivance segment of the board, It needs a superior workman to fit in specifically into the investigatio n

Edited by firarottico

The only thing it needs is a revised rule book. That thing is a hot mess. This game could definitely use a rules reference book as is now standard in FFG games. Other than that, the game is fine how it is.