So what kind of game is this?

By HolyDragonCloud, in Beowulf: The Legend

Some epic journey where you follow the quest of Beowulf to defeat all of the enemies that he came across?

This was based on the book, right? Or was there no Beowulf book?

there was indeed a Beowulf book, i even own a copy. So is there any one that has played this game on here?

In some ways, this is a typical Knizia auction game. It's the addtion of the "risks" which make it so unique and fun. When was the last time you playe a game when all the playeres were cheering or groaning on the turn of a single card? I really enjoy the way the track on the board lets the players know which cards they should be saving. There are no easy choices, even when you win a bid and get first choice of the spoils! If you like games which reward good card sense, risk taking, and planning, you'll like this game!

TK

On the flip side, if you're expecting rolling dice to attack monsters, you're going to be disappointed. Beowulf is a fun auction game with a higher-than-average amount of luck (but still plenty of room for strategy), but it's not a typical adventure-style game. I love Old English literature, and I'd be even more interested in an FFG Beowulf game with miniature sea hags and Grendels and ships and dice, but this game is fun too, for what it is.

Is it playable (and fun) with 2 players?

Because it's a bidding game, I wouldn't recommend it for two players only. 3 is OK, but 4 or 5 is best.

TheChampIsHere said:

This was based on the book, right? Or was there no Beowulf book?

Yes - it's the oldest book in the English language

HolyDragonCloud said:

Some epic journey where you follow the quest of Beowulf to defeat all of the enemies that he came across?

some stupid journey if you watch the ratings :)

Amitloaf said:

Is it playable (and fun) with 2 players?

Better with more.

this is another one of those games where bigger is better

I'm not clear after reading these threads: is there a Grendel component to this game, insofar as the book, Grendel (playing from the monster's point of view)?

The game is based on the original Anglo Saxon epic poem (not the 1970s John Gardner novel 'Grendel' or 1980s film 'Grendel Grendel Grendel' which both retell the story from Grendel's prespective).

You can't play as Grendel but there is an area of the board with a bit of text saying "Grendel's Attack", which is meant to represent the episode when Grendel attacks the hall. There are a couple of other areas representing episodes with Grendel's mother. However these thematic elements aren't very strong in the game and you will probably be too busy looking at your cards and symbols on the board to really pay much attention to the text about Grendel and his family.

As a player you are accompanying Beowulf on his travels and when he dies, at the end of the game, the winner becomes his successor.

sounds like fun , how easy is it to get OTHER gamers into if you took it to the game store and set it up ?

GrandInquisitorKris said:

sounds like fun , how easy is it to get OTHER gamers into if you took it to the game store and set it up ?

Not sure about playing it at a gamestore - just cause I have never tried playing games there.

It's an easy game to get other people to play as its simple to lean (short rulebook) and doesn't take hours. And most people find it fun.

Anyone who plays any kind of board game will probably be interested - its a game you could play with family too.