Which to buy - WH40KC, Android: Netrunner or Star Wars The Card Game?

By Krasorias, in Living Card Games

I have never played an LCG before and I am scarcely familiar with card games.

I need an LCG that I can play with my friends.

After a long time of browsing the web in order to figure out which I would like to play and which appeals to me the most I ended up with these options, I just cannot decide which I like more.

Which of these would you recommend to a total newbie that wants to play non-competitively, just for fun with friends?

It really depends on your personal taste and that of your fellow gamers. If you could maybe give a little info on your reasons for thinking about each game or maybe exactly what you like like/dislike about each or what "feel"/experience your looking for it may help. But briefly SW:LCG feels a little "lighter" than the other two in strategy but very tactical. Really have not played WH40KC enough to make a lot of statements but feels more strategical in play. Netrunner is amazingly deep and "thinky". Just my brief thoughts... I have everything currently released for both Netrunner and Star Wars... I have not taken the plunge into Conquest as of yet.

It really depends on your personal taste and that of your fellow gamers. If you could maybe give a little info on your reasons for thinking about each game or maybe exactly what you like like/dislike about each or what "feel"/experience your looking for it may help. But briefly SW:LCG feels a little "lighter" than the other two in strategy but very tactical. Really have not played WH40KC enough to make a lot of statements but feels more strategical in play. Netrunner is amazingly deep and "thinky". Just my brief thoughts... I have everything currently released for both Netrunner and Star Wars... I have not taken the plunge into Conquest as of yet.

Thank you very much for the reply Devon.

The thing I don't know how to feel about is the fact that both Netrunner and Star Wars have been around for a while and a lot of force/data packs have been released, whereas Conquest is relatively new and the first cycle is yet to be fully released. Would this prove a big of an impact on casual play? Which would be better to get according to this criteria?

Otherwise I chose exactly these 3 because they are Sci-Fi. I already own the board game Descent: Journeys in the Dark, which is a fantasy board game and now I wanted something on the opposite end of the genre spectrum.

As far as what I like about each goes:

1. Star Wars looks simple in terms of objective cards that define your deck and gameplay and this appeals to me. It also uses iconic characters from this franchise and I like that as well.
  2. The whole concept of Netrunner is very intriguing and the general 'techy' feel of everything is just amazing(from the card names to the overall look)
  3. What I like about Conquest is the WH40K universe but other than that I consider buying it solely because the game is new and looks easy to play and understand.

I guess I am looking for something a bit easier to get into. And I'm guessing Netrunner is not the perfect choice for a newbie in card games. If I am correct, let me know. :)

I would agree that if this is your first foray into the LCG/CCG realm Netrunner is a bit "weighty" but is definitely worth the effort. If you are going to be playing primarily casual with little to no tournament play the depth of card pool in SW and ANR should not intimidate you due to the fixed packaging. With the LCG model once you start playing any of the games and start building decks the fixed packaging really helps with targeting your purchases to a specific build and/or theme/style. If you are not really familiar with deck construction in games like this the Objective system in SW is really nice. I believe Conquest is somewhat eased due to the way the deck building is handled with certain cards with your deck coming in "sets". Netrunner is a true free form deck in that you select every individual card. I would definitely recommend with any of these to check out sites such as cardgamedb.com for "net decks" and proven/tested builds. With any of these, even for casual play I would recommend 2 core sets as all of these games feel incomplete and "swingy/luck festy" with only one core. If you have any specific questions about any of the games please let me know and I will do my best to help you out, please keep in mind I do not know as much about Conquest as Netrunner and/or SW. If possible try to get a couple of demo plays in at your FLGS. In closing, I would say if you have dedicated opponents then Netrunner would be a great choice for the tech/sci-fi feel, but if your opponents will vary frequently and/or only be using your cards I might lean towards Star Wars as the deck building is easier and the game in my opinion is easier to teach and to grasp. Also, I believe all these games can be played online through Vassal ( http://www.vassalengine.org/ ) or other such interfaces; in case you want to try that option.

Edited by Devon Greatwolf

I would agree that if this is your first foray into the LCG/CCG realm Netrunner is a bit "weighty" but is definitely worth the effort. If you are going to be playing primarily casual with little to no tournament play the depth of card pool in SW and ANR should not intimidate you due to the fixed packaging. With the LCG model once you start playing any of the games and start building decks the fixed packaging really helps with targeting your purchases to a specific build and/or theme/style. If you are not really familiar with deck construction in games like this the Objective system in SW is really nice. I believe Conquest is somewhat eased due to the way the deck building is handled with certain cards with your deck coming in "sets". Netrunner is a true free form deck in that you select every individual card. I would definitely recommend with any of these to check out sites such as cardgamedb.com for "net decks" and proven/tested builds. With any of these, even for casual play I would recommend 2 core sets as all of these games feel incomplete and "swingy/luck festy" with only one core. If you have any specific questions about any of the games please let me know and I will do my best to help you out, please keep in mind I do not know as much about Conquest as Netrunner and/or SW. If possible try to get a couple of demo plays in at your FLGS. In closing, I would say if you have dedicated opponents then Netrunner would be a great choice for the tech/sci-fi feel, but if your opponents will vary frequently and/or only be using your cards I might lean towards Star Wars as the deck building is easier and the game in my opinion is easier to teach and to grasp. Also, I believe all these games can be played online through Vassal ( http://www.vassalengine.org/ ) or other such interfaces; in case you want to try that option.

Alright. You helped very much with choosing what I would buy. I finally chose Star Wars because it seems very easy to jump in, and all of my friends know this franchise so it would be even easier to explain stuff like committing to the force, etc.

You were extremely helpful with the information you provided me! Thank you very much!

^_^

Glad I could be of some assistance! I hope you enjoy SW:LCG as much as I do... I will very seldom turn down a game. It actually has the smallest following in my area with Netrunner leading and Conquest just behind. There was a rather solid AGoT group until the announcement of discontinuing and relaunching the game. Good luck in learning if you have questions do not hesitate to ask... also get the latest FAQ's from FFG ( http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=175&esem=4 ).

And most importantly... Fly Casual!

I'm currently looking at getting back into a card game as well, deciding which (or how many) to choose... but having been a card game player for many years (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), I can assure you that there's nothing more important to enjoying any of these games than playing what everyone else wants to play .

Take a hard look around your area and see what the turnouts are for game nights, tournaments, etc. Even if you're not interested in playing competitively, you will be sorely disappointed if only one or two of your friends ends up being converts and then you end up quitting because you can't get a regular game.

Even if it's not a FFG/LCG game, I'd lean first towards playing wherever the crowd is. Even something that seems WAY overwhelming at first (like MtG) are still simple enough for kids to get into and eventually master. If it's something more obscure or a theme you're not into (like, say Doomtown) at least you'll know where/when you can get a game, as opposed to just sorting through your cards by yourself on a Saturday evening wishing you could find a game.

Speaking of the LCG-model, if that's your preferred route (as it is mine, since I'm not made of money like I was back in my MtG days), I don't think the entry point to any of these games is unreasonable. Even if you consider getting ALL of the expansions and data packs for Netrunner, you're only going to be out a few hundred dollars. I believe the price-point on all the SW:LCG cards to-date (even doubling up on the Core and EoD) is still under $400. These are incredibly easy games to catch up on (especially with Amazon), and from there it's just about the learning curve to get up to speed with your meta.

Edited by MTUCache

Star Wars is a great game. Enjoy.

A lot depends on theme interest and level of details you're willing to float.

Every one of the LCG games is absolutely soaked in the lore. Little details are in there for true fans of the genre/license that will simply fly comfortably over the heads of the masses. This is even true within the Star Wars license which has, admittedly, the narrowest of the themes for canonical info from which to pull. So, you absolutely cannot go wrong with any of the themes and no one theme is better applied to the game than another.

Then you need to weigh that against the level of crunchy detail oriented "hobbying" you're willing to go through. I can only, of course, speak to the games I've played.

All the games provide a deep, engaging, and interactive experience that suits the material well in every case. However, there are distinct differences in the way in which you build your decks.

Co-Op Play has but one choice and that's Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. An incredibly fun game solo or with others, deckbuilding for this game consists of customizing your fellowship and giving them the resources they'll need to support themselves throughout the adventure deck which is pre-set for you and the "enemy" deck which is also pre-seeded based on the adventure.

Star Wars: The Card Game provides the biggest bang for the buck for your deckbuilding decisions. If you're someone who wants to build the broad strokes of a deck and then tweak it at the macro level, then look no farther. This kind of deck building groups cards together and you select a suite of those groups to build out your deck. It's accessible, thematic, and works incredibly well. It does not, however, provide you with a card by card selection process that some people like.

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game 1st Edition. MASSIVE card pool at this point. You're picking every single card in your deck and mating it with cards in your plot deck which drive the thematic context for each round of play. This feels, to me, most like the level of deck building you're getting in something like Magic: The Gathering.

Netrunner: The Card Game. Card Pool is mature at this point and you're not only building a deck here...you're building two decks because you need a corporation deck AND a runner deck. Both decks require an incredible level of attention to detail. For a lot of hobbyists, this is the level of detail and micromanagement they want to get to because it allows them to invent, explore, and you definitely FEEL like you're writing code as you build out the decks. That said, the level of deck building required to be successful here goes well beyond something like Magic: The Gathering / A Game of Thrones. By far, this is the most complicated, and potentially rewarding of the deck building experiences.

Warhammer 40,000 Conquest: The Card Game. This lives squarely between Star Wars and A Game of Thrones. New, so the card pool is still easily accessible, memorize-able, and small. Deckbuilding is centered around choosing a warlord, who comes with a cadre of "Signature Units." You can build decks that involve (splash) another faction based on a chart of allied factions which again provides a happy medium. You still get to pick a specific card build for the majority of your deck, but your theme and strength of the deck is dependent in large part upon the warlord you select and that warlord's signature squad.

I have not played Warhammer Fantasy or Call of Cthulhu. I suspect someone else can add more information for you on these two.

Again - you seriously cannot go wrong. You MIGHT want to wait until someone dumps their A Game of Thrones 1st Edition set cheap (happening already) or hold out for GenCon and 2nd Edition Game of Thrones if that's the theme and deck building involvement you desire.

I hope that helps!

Necropost... The op made their decision like, 4 posts (and 2 months) ago...

I see that now! That doesn't mean that someone else might not find this post in the future though. :)

I see that now! That doesn't mean that someone else might not find this post in the future though. :)

True enough I guess :)

I've recently brought Warhammer 40k Conquest, and now I'm deciding between Star Wars and LOTR. I'm a bigger fan of Star Wars than LOTR, but I like the fact that I can play a solo campaign in LOTR. Which game should I buy? Both have tons of expansions so I can't really buy both of them.

Edited by Star Lord

How likely are you to have opponents for Star Wars or allies for LotR? How much do you want another competitive game vs. a co-op one?

How likely are you to have opponents for Star Wars or allies for LotR? How much do you want another competitive game vs. a co-op one?

Personally, I love Star Wars but I'm also looking for a solo game since I already have Conquest, and I don't have too many people to play with. I guess if both games are about equal in terms of enjoyment, I'll get LOTR so I can play when I can't find others to play with.

Just read through this thread and you all have some great experience and knowledge of the various Living Card Games from FFG, so...I thought I'd jump in here with some questions as well. I too am looking to delve into these, but strangely enough (and yes, I know it's strange) my group and family has been overwhelmed with Star Wars as of late (waited until AFTER Star Wars Day to make this post) as we play Imperial Assault and I'm running an Edge of the Empire Campaign, so our Star Wars Fandoms are nicely fullfilled. But...we now wish to separate ourselves from the craziness that Magic the Gathering has been plaguing us with over the years and moving on to something more...Stable? as a card game. Been reading over the concepts of Living Cards Games, and how it's all "there" in the kits/packs/boxes without the Randomness of Boosters, and the restrains of pre-builts. We (me, my friends and family member gamers) all think that's a Great idea, and it will really be about how we play, rather than how lucky our shopping skills are. I mentioned Star Wars previously as that's just not really an option, as our gaming habits are flooded with it right now.

Now, Cyberpunk 2020 is one of my personal favorite role playing games of all times. Hands down, I love it (and can't wait for the video game coming...whenever) So I started thinking about getting into Android: Netrunner. I watched the tutorial vid a couple of times, and saw the Dice Tower Review of it as well. Both positive signs that this is definitely for me. However, due to the complexities of the Lingo, and the rule system itself, would it be for my gaming group? Each one of them (even my son of 16) picked up the rules for MtG, Edge of the Empire, Imperial Assault, and 5th Edition D&D with very little difficulty. Okay, I had to explain the EofE Dice system a few times, but it caught on by the end of the Beginner Box before I started my campaign. So, bearing that in mind, how difficult do you think it would be to teach them Netrunner? Or, should I forgo this and go with a less "complex" LCG?

Just so you know, I don't believe the concept of Netrunner would be an issue. Cyberpunk is familiar to everyone in my group, and the whole Runner vs Corporate overview is definitely something they all grasp (and even enjoy).

Also, I didn't even mention 40K as (and I'm really sorry if I offend anyone here with this...I don't mean to), but I've just gotten tired with Warhammer, both Fantasy and 40K. I've played both of those as miniature games for years (still have all of my Dwarves, Vampire Counts and Legion of the Damned in cases...in storage), and the whole idea behind the universe it takes place in...I'm just done with it. My whole group moved on from it a few years ago, and only on occasion will we bust out Mordheim or Gorka Morka for giggles. Yeah, can't do it as a Card Game, now. Sorry mates. The brain won't let me.

But, any feed back on my initial question would be awesome. I love this community and it's always been friendly and helpful in the past for me. Thank you.

I'd not be worried too much about picking up Netrunner to play with your family. It's not difficult, but complex: take some time to go through the rules of the core set (available on this very site, here , click "Support" and you'll be addressed to a download link) and if in doubt, browse some cards at cardgamedb.com so that you can make yourself an idea of wording and stuff like that.

Consider also that if you easily mastered Imperial Assault, then you can learn how to play all FFG games. No one comes with a 150 pgs rulebook with specific exceptions to the rules and stuff. Additionally, the community both here and on BGG is superactive, and you'll certainly find instant solution to any of your queries.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the speedy reply there. So, yeah...impulse caught the better of me, and I picked up the Core for Android: Netrunner last night. Read through the rule book once so far, but added the PDF version to my phone for further referrencing. I do have a few initial questions (mostly about alterative wins and such), and if I can't figure them out through further analysis, I'll go forum hunting within the community. Once again, thanks!

My pleasure helping :) Hope you'll enjoy the game :)

One potential benefit to Lord of the Rings , and arguably A Game of Thrones as well, I've found, is that they make very good "bookshelf" games. What I mean by that is, normally the biggest hurdle in getting into a CCG* that isn't Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh! is that your collection's value is measured by the people you can find to play it with. What sets Rings and Thrones apart is their respective multiplayer options - cooperative in the former, melee in the latter. You can very easily find people open to trying a multiplayer game, as it gives off more of the feel of a traditional boardgame which tends to offer a more casual atmosphere than the binary "I beat you / you beat me" conflict found in most CCGs. That's just been my experience, though, and I'll throw in the caveat that I am highly non-competitive, playing games more for the social framework they provide than as a test of skill.

* Customizable Card Games (as opposed to Living Card Games). I try to avoid using a copyrighted term for a production model that is now being adopted by companies outside of Fantasy Flight.
I am trying my damnedest to get "boardgame" and "videogame" adopted into our English lexicon as compound words. Any support you can provide to this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by MarthWMaster

Good points. I'm not competitive either; not in the sense that I do not care for winning, but that I enjoy the journey more than the final outcome. Challanges are welcome, clearly, but I always appreciate the challenge per se. That's why LotR LCG granted me the best experiences so far, and I'd really welcome another LCG lying on a coop mechanism