Clarification: Surge Focus

By VirMortalis, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

OK here is something that is bugging me, I am probably over looking something somewhere but running through our campaign today we come to the point of discussing how we Focus is applied on Surge.

With Surge it says the effect must be done during the attack which that is fine, but Focus by definition is an effect that goes into the next activation.

I and my friend have 2 out put on this so one of them as to be right

A) On deciding the surge is successful and you choose the Focus option you are then able to roll the Green Die in addition to the result.

B) The figure becomes Focused and then must wait for his next activation in which to spend said Focus

B was my understanding, you don't recieve the surge until after the attack is rolled. So the character gains its Focus for your next blocking or attacking roll.

B was my understanding, you don't recieve the surge until after the attack is rolled. So the character gains its Focus for your next blocking or attacking roll.

Just a head's up, it doesn't work on defense -- only attacks and attribute tests.

B is correct.

"Focus" RRG, Page 12-13:

If a figure gains the Focused condition after rolling dice for an attack or a test, it cannot use the condition until the next time it attacks or performs a test.

Also note that Focused cannot be "saved" you *MUST* spend it on your next eligible attack.

OK here is something that is bugging me, I am probably over looking something somewhere but running through our campaign today we come to the point of discussing how we Focus is applied on Surge.

With Surge it says the effect must be done during the attack which that is fine, but Focus by definition is an effect that goes into the next activation.

I and my friend have 2 out put on this so one of them as to be right

A) On deciding the surge is successful and you choose the Focus option you are then able to roll the Green Die in addition to the result.

B) The figure becomes Focused and then must wait for his next activation in which to spend said Focus

As mentioned by Fizz et al B is the correct answer. Also remember that you will only gain/obtain the "Focus" if the attack dealt any Damage. Same as for the harmful conditions/bonuses such as "Stun", "Bleeed" "Cleave", "Blast".

Or in other words: No Pain (Damage), No Gain!

Aye :) cheers for the clarification