Move power through a force filed or transparisteel wall?

By LukeZZ, in Game Mechanics

Can I use the Move power through a force field or transparisteel wall?

Edited by LukeZZ

As long as the GM allows it. Vader can force choke people he can only see through video projection, so I'd imagine it's all probably possible. Whether that's something to be allowed for all players or restricted to high-powered NPCs is up to you and your group.

What does your GM say?

I don't see why not, but it's not up to me.

There's no reason I'd disallow it. This seems to be in keeping with what we know of the Force.

I'd rule that you need to be able to see the target, and then have enough range upgrades to use the power from where you're physically standing. Vader could choke Ozzel when I saw him on the display, but I imagine he still had to calculate the distance from his meditation chamber to the bridge (at least Medium range, probably Long or more) and then roll enough dark side pips to get that range.

As an alternative you could allow a player to affect a target he knew PRECISELY where was located without seeing it, but that should in my opinion add several setback dice to any check and/or cost one or two light side pips more to activate. And I'd never allow that for a power that affected another character, player or NPC.

I'd say that Krieger22's first scenario would cover things. As long as you can see the target, you can affect them with Move (or Bind for Vader's choke) even if you wouldn't normally be able to affect them with a standard attack roll.

In the Vader choke case, I'd call that an instance of Extreme Range given the sheer size of the Executor, but then Vader's private chambers may have been fairly close to the bridge, so maybe Long Range. But since he could "see" Ozzel via the viewscreen, he "knew" where the Admiral was and could then target him with Bind to crush the guy's throat in a couple of rounds simply from the sheer volume of Force Points that Vader's likely to generate (I'd say he's at least Force Rating 4, if not a 5).

Now in regards to Move, if you wanted to hurl an object at a target that's behind a transparisteel window/barrier, then the object you're hurling would need to be on the same side of the barrier as your target. Or you could just hurl the guy into the barrier itself :D

Isn't there an episode of The Clone Wars where Palpatine chokes out Dooku via a hologram? Palpatine must have been on Coruscant and Dooku was in his chambers in his villa on Serenno.

Then there’s the scene in TCW when the Nightsisters perform dark magic to attack Dooku across the galaxy.

Or the scene in TCW where Ahsoka gets blamed for force-choking a witness to a crime, when in fact is was Barriss who was doing the force-choking from somewhere else where she couldn’t see the victim.

I think that it's a little unfair to compare the movies and TV series (and novels and any other Star Wars media, for that matter) to the rules of an RPG. Sure, it would be cool to duplicate the things you see on the screen or read on the page, but that's closing your eyes to a huge and important factor: In any non-RPG medium there's one guy - the writer - "playing" both sides of the story. Nobody's being treated unfairly and nobody needs to stick to the rules, because it's just the one guy calling all the shots. If he thinks something is cool, he can do it.

In an RPG, which is by its very nature rulebound to a greater or lesser extent, these things are constrained by the rules. They ensure a fair shake for everyone, otherwise it could just be the GM sitting there and talking to himself all evening. And that means that there are some things players (and NPCs) simply can't be allowed to get away with. It sets a presedence, and suddenly you have people killing each other with their minds from halfway across the galaxy.

The problem with being lenient as a GM is that if you let the players stretch things once, they're going to want to do it again - it's just the nature of things. And unless you want whatever they did to become a regular fixture you're going to have to say no. And then you have the argument of "I could do it two weeks ago, why not now?". That leaves everyone annoyed and sours the mood.

I think it's better to exercise some restraint to begin with rather than suddenly having to walk things back again because it unbalances things. That's just no fun.

OK, that got a little rantier than I planned and went kinda beyond the whole "move things through walls" subject. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

In an RPG, which is by its very nature rulebound to a greater or lesser extent, these things are constrained by the rules. They ensure a fair shake for everyone, otherwise it could just be the GM sitting there and talking to himself all evening. And that means that there are some things players (and NPCs) simply can't be allowed to get away with. It sets a presedence, and suddenly you have people killing each other with their minds from halfway across the galaxy.

The problem with being lenient as a GM is that if you let the players stretch things once, they're going to want to do it again - it's just the nature of things. And unless you want whatever they did to become a regular fixture you're going to have to say no. And then you have the argument of "I could do it two weeks ago, why not now?". That leaves everyone annoyed and sours the mood.

The issue here is that everyone is going to go back to the same examples, and there are always going to be edge cases where the Rules As Written either don’t make sense or can’t be applied to this exact situation, and you’ve got to make a judgement call.

The question is, which side of that wall are you going to come down on, and how can you explain that to yourself and your players?

The question is out there. The examples are known, and considered by Lucasfilm and Disney to be “Canonical”. Now, you as GM have to decide what you’re going to do, and why.

Interesting question, hasn't come up in our game yet.....I'd lean toward allowing it but upgrading the difficulty dice.

I'd lean toward allowing it but upgrading the difficulty dice.

I was thinking the same thing.

Darth Sidious and Mother Talzin's "galactic level" harm range, focused only on a hologram in one case and hair and a wax representation of the victim in the other, are one-off abilities. They were specifically placed in the stories to invoke a sense of magic or awe.

The terror/awe invoked come from the fact that this should be impossible , but it is happening.

Or perhaps, range is an illusion.

Like size. Only in your mind.

Like size. Only in your mind.

Exactly correct, Quick.

I'm am allowing, but going to include a discipline check that's difficulty depends on the more distance or things in the users way to his target.

Then there’s the scene in TCW when the Nightsisters perform dark magic to attack Dooku across the galaxy.

Or the scene in TCW where Ahsoka gets blamed for force-choking a witness to a crime, when in fact is was Barriss who was doing the force-choking from somewhere else where she couldn’t see the victim.

Similarly in the same episode, Ahsoka uses the Force to life a keycard that is on the other side of an energy barrier and slide it into the slot to turn it off.

If you can see and it's in range, you can do it according to the movies / TCW. I might even allow it if the Jedi can sense the object in some other way / knows it is there. Yoda lifts the X-Wing with his eyes closed, for example. I would probably add Setback dice IF there was something interfering with the Force user's ability to sense the target.

Edited by knasserII

IMO the only time physical barriers should really get in the way of Force Powers is if you're attacking the the Move power, since cover applies setbacks.

knasser's example of Yoda is good. Also there's Luke pulling his lightsaber out of the snow while hanging upside down (he closed his eyes on the second try). And check out Vader in TESB when he attacks Luke with all the flying machinery. After a while he just stands there stock-still, head locked forward; he obviously doesn't need to look at the crap to move it. Like Obi-Wan says, "Your eyes can deceive you—don't trust them!"

Sight, character knowledge, and mental limitations are all due considerations to be made, of course.

And as to transparent barriers, "line-of-effect" is a good gaming rule for a lot of applications, but if Yoda's words are of any import— luminous beings are we, not this crude matter —then I would suggest it should not generally be applied to Force power checks, except for if you're trying to Move something telekinetically through such a barrier :)