Bio-lightning

By darkstar952, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

This came up in one of my groups games recently.

This is all due to the way the power is worded in regards to damage.

Under Bio-lightning it says " The target Takes 1D10 + WP bonus in energy damage"

and example of another power is fire bolt which says " On a hit, the bolt deals 1D10 + 5 energy damage"

I interpret this as both meaning the same thing just slightly different wording. So i would have both powers deal damage in the following way

1D10 + (either Wp bonus or 5 depending on which one) - targets TB and armour. just like with any other damage

However the player in question thinks that fire bolt deals damage as described above but due to the fact bio-lightning says the target Takes 1D10 + WP bonus in damage that it doesn't get reduced for armour or toughness.

I personally think this would make bio-lightning far too powerful, especially for something with just a casting number of 14. Despite numerous attempts to negotiate with the player and make some kind of comprimise ( i suggested it ignore armour but not toughness) he refuses to budge on the issue. I thought i would get the views of people on the forums and see if i could use the replies to convince him.

Tricky one but still...

Biolightning is one of the only power which states "Target takes damage" all the other powers say "you deal damage"

But the golden rule has always been, if it doesn't say Toughness and Armour is negated its NOT negated.

Does it say it bypasses normal modes? No.

Does it say "target loses 1d10+WPB wounds"? no

TB & AV apply normally, then.

Eightball indicates your player is a munchkin.