Battle Report: Imperials vs. Renegades

By nungunz, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Hey all, I'll be flooding up a bunch of battle reports and articles in the coming future based on the skirmish mode for this game. Been playing quite a lot, and would love to share what I've learned.

Here is a battle report from earlier today. Lists aren't super competitive, we were just messing around with some stuff. Forgot what was exactly in each command deck.

Imperial List (40 points)

Darth Vader

Regular Probe Droid

Elite Probe Droid

Regular E-Web Engineer

Regular Stormtrooper

Regular Officer

Renegade List (39 Points)

Elite Trandoshan Hunters

Regular Trandoshan Hunters

Elite Nexu

Temporary Alliance

Luke Skywalker

Jyn Odan

Setup:

Rebels Deploy on the northwest of the map with the initiative. Jyn and Luke hold the door while the Renegades deploy to rush south. In hindsight, putting Luke and Jyn more south would have made better use of their speed early on.

Vader and the elite probe droid deploy north with the rest of the crew towards the south and split. In hindsight Vader should have deployed south with the officer using the E-web to funnel the renegades in to a shooting or melee galley while holding 3 of the objectives.

0114152014_zps8e150981.jpg

Turn 1

Luke and Jyn try to slow vader down a bit, but both just whiff on everything (even Jyn's out-of-activation with her signature command card....not even a single stun....bad start. Jyn positions to delay the Dark Lord while the rest of the squad buggers out.

The rest of both armies move into position towards the objects. A lone regular trandoshan sit out of LOS of the E-Web to be able to make an objective dash or close assault on the heavy weapon if needed.

End of Round Turn 1 Scores

Renegades: 7

Imperials: 14

0114152031_zps1e23cfc5.jpg

Turn 2

Sadly I forgot to take a picture here....but not too much happened. Well, that's a lie. A lot happened, but it was all setting up for future turns.

Rebels are forced to use Take Initiative to avoid casualties at the hands of the Darth Vader and co. Regular Trandoshan exhaust (they're safe where they are).

Jyn and Luke scurry off and manage to drop the regular probe droid with their pot-shots. Nexu engages the Stormtroopers (and whiffs) while the stormies hit the kitty for 6 damage.

E-web set's up it's kill alley and the Elite Trandos get into position to make a run on both the central objective and the e-web.

End of Round Turn 2 Scores

Renegades: 10

Imperials: 14

Turn 3

Imperials finally have the initiative! Vader uses his signature command card to attempt a rampage through the renegade, but by a miracle of the force (IE bad defense rolls and reroll by Vader and an amazing re-roll from Luke's Inspiring), Jyn manages to stun Darth with her interrupt attack.

Vader still manages to force-choke Jyn to death with a celebration! And moves into range of the Regular Trandoshan hunter. Renegade got extremely lucky here and probably won the game because of it.

The stupid cat whiffs again on the stormtroopers, but manages to down one with a cleave.....it tries to run away but the E-Web mows it down.

A combination of close-assaults by the trandoshans manages to drop the E-Web, kill a single stormtrooper, put a bounty on the stormies, and secure an objective....the Lizards really pulled their weight this round.

Luke runs like away from Vader like the pansy he his to secure another objective.

End of Round Turn 2 Scores

Renegades: 30

Imperials: 29

0114152115_zps83012c4c.jpg

Turn 4

At this point, all the Renegades need to do is kill that last stormtrooper in order to win (6 points + 4 from the bounty). The Imperial player is force to Take Initiative and tries to run as far as possible with the stormtrooper (sadly no Urgency or Fleet Footed command cards in hand).

However in a stroke of total unfair luck....the Renegades have both aforementioned command cards. Luke activates with Urgency and Fleet Footed for an 8-space move and guns the final stormtrooper down to clinch the win.

Had the stormtrooper not died, then the Imps would have probably taken two more objective this turn for the win.

Renegades: 40

Imperials: 29

(Luke guns down the last stormie in the north east corner of the map)

0114152120_zps27796573.jpg

Lessons Learned

Vader was poorly deployed at the outset and never benefited from the officer. The strategy was to setup the e-web in a killing field near the center and use Vader to flush the Renegades out. Which did in fact work....just flushed them the wrong direction.

Vader is still scary as all hell...just run away from him and hope Jyn or Chewie can stun him. That or just feed him chuds to slow him down.

Early on Luke and Jyn could have done some amazing sprints to make a early objective grab and never really benefited from their speed until the very end (especially Luke). Jyn was often in bad positioning so didn't make the best use of her interrupt attacks.

Still not sold on Nexu, the surges are unpredictable at best, but they are very quick and can attack up to 9 spaces away....and they do clog up a lot of movement and slow the enemy down.

E-Webs are still best suited to denying lanes of movement rather than actually dealing damage.

Jyn is still freaking nuts and a steal for her point value. Trandoshan Hunters (especially the elites) are stupidly good in close-quarters maps like this......that and the Price on Their Heads command card is just nuts. Pair it with celebration and that's a hell of a points swing (though difficult to score against Imperials).

Hope you all enjoyed! Working on my articles and will hopefully have them up within a week!

Edited by nungunz

I am pretty sure in tournament play and just over all its going to be you have to end the round not just who ever gets to 40 first. Sounds like you guys just ended the game right when he got to 40?

Thats kind of how it is any game I have played.

still think Gideon is the key if you want to play mercs or rebels. Maybe that changes if the mercs get more command cards for movement.

Edited by Jonnyb815

Hi. Thanks for a great bat rep! Loved reading it, for someone like me that does not get a chance to play that often it is nice to hear how the diffrent models work.

It was also funny that the renegade/rebel list is exactly what I wanna play with and to see it win feels good, even if it was a bit of a lucky win.

Those hunters really are one of the best troops for their value in my opinion.

A tip is to write what mission you are playing, though it is obvious once you look at the map it is still nice to read.

Loved reading it and keep them coming!

have fun

Which mission were you running ?

Edited by Toqtamish

From the Skirmish Guide under Winning a Skirmish the first line reads "The game ends as soon as one player has accumulated 40 victory points (VPs)."

And note, the bold is not from me, but is in the rules. So, as soon as someone hits 40 vp the game ends even if in the middle of a round.

I am pretty sure in tournament play and just over all its going to be you have to end the round not just who ever gets to 40 first. Sounds like you guys just ended the game right when he got to 40?

Thats kind of how it is any game I have played.

still think Gideon is the key if you want to play mercs or rebels. Maybe that changes if the mercs get more command cards for movement.

Honestly, the elite Trandos, while good, aren't needed. Can probably down to regulars and pick up Gideon. Have 5 activations killed, 6 would have been nice. The problem is that you can't take 3 rebels and the mercs don't really have cheap chud units

Edited by nungunz

Moisture Farm mission A. The crate searhing mission

From the Skirmish Guide under Winning a Skirmish the first line reads "The game ends as soon as one player has accumulated 40 victory points (VPs)."

And note, the bold is not from me, but is in the rules. So, as soon as someone hits 40 vp the game ends even if in the middle of a round.

Thats dumb looks not sure I like skirmish anymore. Not being able to counter I dont think is good for the gme since the game is only 40pts. Games will ony go max 4-5 rounds so mid game you should have a real good idea whats going to happen and not being able to counter back just gives the opp more info. Man I was starting to like this game too.

Nungunz check your Pms

As great as luke is I might go this route:

I dont think we have enough mercs to really make it work but....

Hunting spree

-Ig88 12

-Trandosan Hunterx2 14

-Elite Nexu 6

-Mak 3

-Gideon 3

-Temp 1

-Devious Scheme 1

40 Pts

Urgency,

To the limit,

Take Init,

Sit Tight,

Planning,

Price on their hands,

Shadow ops,

Element of Suprise,

Celebration,

Dead Eye,

Marksmanx2,

Ferocity,

Take it Down,

Overload(proxy)

Total 15(12pts)

Edited by Jonnyb815

Thats dumb looks not sure I like skirmish anymore. Not being able to counter I dont think is good for the gme since the game is only 40pts. Games will ony go max 4-5 rounds so mid game you should have a real good idea whats going to happen and not being able to counter back just gives the opp more info. Man I was starting to like this game too.

What would be able to happen if you got to the end of the round to finish? Let's say you had had 39 points before the round, other person activates gets a kill gets to 40 points. What is the point of you "retaliating" at this point? you can't double win, it is just "well now I know if I had one or two more activations I would have won" except that isn't true because you were second to 40.

Seems pretty fair to end it immediately so as to not force the losing team to play out ... nothing. What if they win on the first activation then the winner has to finish with multiple activations as well? what would the point be? There is a mission it is over, pack up, go home. beyond that you are confused about skirmishes.

What would be able to happen if you got to the end of the round to finish? Let's say you had had 39 points before the round, other person activates gets a kill gets to 40 points. What is the point of you "retaliating" at this point? you can't double win, it is just "well now I know if I had one or two more activations I would have won" except that isn't true because you were second to 40.

Seems pretty fair to end it immediately so as to not force the losing team to play out ... nothing. What if they win on the first activation then the winner has to finish with multiple activations as well? what would the point be? There is a mission it is over, pack up, go home. beyond that you are confused about skirmishes.

The point is fair play.

Playoffs in the NFL it was pretty unfair that a team could win by a field goal and the other couldnt counter.

Lets take Volleyball they you have to win by 2. It gives the other team a chance.

Most games are really close just think first to 40 so the score is 38-38 and they used take init and won by killing a stormtrooper think thats pretty unfair since they couldnt do anything about it.

Again in most games the better team will win most of the time. That is not the case in this game.

The problem is that there are so many ways to win which gives every one a chance the new guy that has never played has a 50/50 shot at beating you. Just getting to 40 is not really fair in this game.

Edited by Jonnyb815

The point is fair play.

Playoffs in the NFL it was pretty unfair that a team could win by a field goal and the other couldnt counter.

Lets take Volleyball they you have to win by 2. It gives the other team a chance.

Most games are really close just think first to 40 so the score is 38-38 and they used take init and won by killing a stormtrooper think thats pretty unfair since they couldnt do anything about it.

Again in most games the better team will win most of the time. That is not the case in this game.

The problem is that there are so many ways to win which gives every one a chance the new guy that has never played has a 50/50 shot at beating you. Just getting to 40 is not really fair in this game.

LOL playoffs in the NFL are unfair because you could win by a field goal is your best example? How many games have you seen where they score a field goal as time expires to win? I have seen at least 10 this season alone between college and NFL. Volleyball has to have rules like that because of the serve mechanic.. not because it creates decisive victory....

I could not disagree more with this post. I don't see how it is unfair at all. It is not as if you don't know who will have the init and what the possibility of the card being in your opponents hand. That's like saying "its so unfair his ships rolled more hits than mine" in X-Wing. No, sorry, it is totally fair. The fact that you did not play accordingly lost you the game, not luck.

The better player wins in this game. The fact that you did not account for the take/your opponent;s strategy earlier in the match means you were the weaker player. Crying about how unfair it is will not help you get better. Analyzing how you could make fewer mistakes and ensure the take didn't lose you the match will help.

@nungunz - Nice report. Was happy to see that the Vader list lost, I see so much crying about him. This is a great example of how simply avoiding him and making him only choke a good amount can win you the game. I know it was somewhat lucky but It looks to me like even if it had gone a few more rounds the Renegades would have likely won.

That being said, imagine if that was the RGC instead of Vader. He would not have been so easily bogged down/ignored. I know I am a broken record about how good the RGC is but this is a great example.

The point is fair play.

So I am confused what "win condition" is fair then if 40 points isn't?

Should a skirmish only end with one side is totally defeated? Then why bother with a mission if defeating is the only "win"?

Imperial Assault is a wonderful game that is a tactical skirmish and campaign game. Sure there are lots of games with a win being defeat the other side, but Star Wars was never about killing/defeating the whole other side. Star Wars was always about accomplishing the mission. I cant name a single battle that had a 100% total defeat for the Star Wars Universe. Even the Death Star I fight ended with Vader escaping. Or The Battle of Endor? Most of the Imperial Fleet escaped.

Realize the story, and the setting and you see why a 40 point win fits.

Sounds like the Nexu attacked, dealt no damage, and still executed Cleave? That stormtrooper downed by Cleave should have still been around at the end of round 3.

Meaning at the opening of round 4, taking out the other stormtrooper would not have earned them any points. What would you have done in this situation, seeing that you have one stormtrooper remaining with one health left and it's sitting next to a Nexu. If the Nexu hits it on the Rebel's next activation, they win. You have one activation to do something. What would you do?

EDIT: Originally said "dealt damage" but I meant to say, "dealt NO damage."

Edited by Budgernaut

unless they do something in the tournament rules I think skirmish play is just a casual game. I don't feel like playing a 30 min game of bingo. I get why the game is 40 for casual games. I just don't think its good for the tournaments and hope they come up with something in the guide coming up before March. I think a rule like volleyball would be great. Als if they limit missions would help too.

Let's get back to

The topic.

After thinking about it more I think a set of elites, Gideon, then either ig88 or Luke is a good base for what your trying to do. I know you love jyn but to get the most out of that bleed and close

Range fighting you will need movement.

Sounds like the Nexu attacked, dealt no damage, and still executed Cleave? That stormtrooper downed by Cleave should have still been around at the end of round 3.

Meaning at the opening of round 4, taking out the other stormtrooper would not have earned them any points. What would you have done in this situation, seeing that you have one stormtrooper remaining with one health left and it's sitting next to a Nexu. If the Nexu hits it on the Rebel's next activation, they win. You have one activation to do something. What would you do?

EDIT: Originally said "dealt damage" but I meant to say, "dealt NO damage."

We started keep track of damage on the deployment cards to avoid clutering up the map more than it already was.

Edited by nungunz

unless they do something in the tournament rules I think skirmish play is just a casual game. I don't feel like playing a 30 min game of bingo. I get why the game is 40 for casual games. I just don't think its good for the tournaments and hope they come up with something in the guide coming up before March. I think a rule like volleyball would be great. Als if they limit missions would help too.

Let's get back to

The topic.

After thinking about it more I think a set of elites, Gideon, then either ig88 or Luke is a good base for what your trying to do. I know you love jyn but to get the most out of that bleed and close

Range fighting you will need movement.

I am confounded at why you think this game is/will be only casual. Comparing it to Bingo is extremely unfair in my opinion. If your games are reduced to this, all I can say is I think you are doing it wrong. Out of curiosity, how much have you played the skirmish mode? I'm not trying to say your experience isn't valid, just trying to understand if this is a knee-jerk reaction to a few games or if you are a seasoned player.

I am certain it will work just fine in tournaments. I think my only minor nit is that if you win the roll off for initiative you have to take it, which can be detrimental for some maps/builds. But that is really, really minor and whether they change it or not, the game will be fine.

Back on topic as you say.

I have not experimented much with Scum +Rebs, but I think it'd be very difficult for me to not take Luke and Gideon as the two Rebels. They both do so much for their points. Would leave you 26 to spend, and I'd probably go something like 2xElite Nexu 2xBasic Trandos to start with (or maybe 1xElite 1xRgular Nexu and the Scheme). Gives you 6 command cards and 8 Models, which I think it about where you want to be, but you'd be a more in your face style of list. I may try this in my next games..

Here is what I would run? I was just trying to get away from Luke but ig88 just isnt that great by himself even if you can active him a lot because of he only rolls two dice and no pierce. That could change if he gets some good command cards. i do think my ig88+mak build is better than what meets the eye.

-Luke 10
-Elite Trandosan Hunter 10

-Reg Trandosan 7
-Elite Nexu 6
-Gideon 3
-Temp 1

-Devious Scheme 1

38pts

So you get side no matter what and lose init. I think getting side is greater than first turn init. I think all three maps have a better side and its not even close. It gives you some good late round strikes with the Nexu or init rounds. Yes third turn init could be big but if you go into round 4 you have a very good shot at it then. So I think turn 2 and 4 is better than 1 and 3. I really wish the mercs had a few cheap guys to get you at six acts to really fully use Devious Scheme.

Edited by Jonnyb815