YBtC Competition #3: Wedge Antilles

By awayputurwpn, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hello everyone, and welcome back to You Build the Character, FFG Edition!

This is the third installment of the monthly competition in which FFG community members can compete to build their versions of famous characters from the Star Wars universe. The winner is decided by popular vote, and will receive all the honor and glory that comes with peer approval! Plus, there will be a thread dedicated to the winners of the competitions, wherein their builds will be eternally enshrined.

In celebration of the recent release of the Age of Rebellion book Stay on Target , this month's challenge is to build a Player-Character version of Wedge Antilles , X-Wing pilot and hero of the Battle of Yavin.

The following rules apply to your submissions:

1. You may use as much XP as you like to build Wedge, but attempts to be both thematic and reasonable are highly encouraged. Since Wedge is a human, his starting XP is 110 (plus any amount of additional XP that his Duty might allow) and you can grant him any amount of additional XP as "earned XP” to be spent on talents, skills, and specializations.

1a. Clarification: since (according to Legend) Wedge Antilles is a Corellian, he may be built using the Corellian Human rules in the Suns of Fortune supplement. This is optional.

2. All builds MUST adhere to the Rules As Written (RAW) for Player Character creation (Steps 1 - 9) and advancement. No skipping talents in trees, no homebrewed rules. You may ignore Step 10 of character creation, or include it in your builds, at your discretion. If you choose to use Step 10, simply select one of the RAW options available from Age of Rebellion.

3. Wedge Antilles is a Rebel pilot, and as such, he must be built as an Age of Rebellion PC . This means that his career must be one of the 6 found in the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook, and he must have a Duty. However, he may also have a Obligation and/or Morality, at your discretion. He may also be statted as a Corellian Human using the rules from Suns of Fortune, even though that book technically "belongs" to the EotE line.

4. All FFG-published material for the Star Wars RPG is fair game: Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, and the Force and Destiny Beta (using the latest errata available), including any supplements or other officially published material from these lines, may be used to build your character after the inititial character creation is accomplished using the Age of Rebellion CRB.

5. Your build may represent Wedge at any point in his life, complete with any gear & equipment. The Legends universe is open, as is anything from the Star Wars canon . Including a picture with your build is encouraged!

7. All entries must include full stat blocks, which should be presented in a fashion similar to the stat blocks found in official material, and should contain a minimum of the following:

Character Name/Title, Species & Career

Specialization(s)

Background text

Duty, Morality, and/or Obligation score

Characteristics (Brawn, Agility, etc)

Soak, Wound Threshold, Strain Threshold, Defense

Skill Ranks

Talents

Abilities

Equipment

You have until 11:59pm PST on Monday January 26rd (7:59am January 27th GMT) to enter/edit your builds, after which entries are closed. Any entries edited after the deadline will be disqualified.

Voting will commence as soon as entries close! The voting period will run through the end of January, and the winner will be determined by popular vote at 12am February 1st, PST (8am GMT).

Edited by awayputurwpn

I am interested in seeing the picture people use. Considering the varying actors who have played him.

Tough call to determine film or Legends. . .

I'll have to think on this and see if I can come up with something!

Tough call to determine film or Legends. . .

I'll have to think on this and see if I can come up with something!

Totally...Wedge is one of my favorite characters, even through the Legacy era. Especially through the Legacy era :) he is always cool.

Just added a small clarification (1a) to the rules. Wedge can indeed be statted up as a Corellian Human using the Suns of Fortune Roleplaying supplement.

Wouldn't This Be Better With The Aor Books. One Of The Ace Career Specializations

The rules specifically say the starting form has to be built with the starting character rules in the AOR Core book but you can add specs from any book.

The rules specifically say the starting form has to be built with the starting character rules in the AOR Core book but you can add specs from any book.

Yes. Specifically, he must be "started" as an Age of Rebellion PC.

Going way out on a limb here, but if (say) someone were to build him as an Ace, he would have the option of starting with any of the 6 specializations currently available for the Ace career (Beast Rider, Driver, Gunner, Hotshot, Pilot, or Rigger). After that first specialization was selected, he could take any other specializations (including out-of-career) from any other book, from Edge's Assassin to Force's Starfighter Ace.

Again, attempts to be thematically appropriate are appreciated ;)

I am interested in seeing the picture people use. Considering the varying actors who have played him.

Umm Wedge has been played by the SAME actor in every orig. movie...Denis Lawson

Ok, here is Wedge at the start of RotJ...

He is a Squadron Leader and a BADASS!! He starts as a Corellian Human w/ a start in Pilot (Space), Ace Pilot & then a 2nd spec. in Squadron Leader. Uses his 2 Dedications on Agility & Presence. He started w/ 3s in Agl / Int / Pres because he was the only person smart enough to put his shields on double rear when in the trench run.

Brwn 2

Agil 4

Int 3

Cunn / Will 2

Pres 4

Wnd: 14 Strain: 13 Soak: 2

Gear: TX3 Combat Flight Suit

Duty: Rank 3 (90) Space Superiority

Skills

Astrog 2

Cool 2

Discip 1

Leadership 3

Percep 3

Pilot (Planet) 3

Pilot (Space) 5

Vigil 1

Gunnery 5

Range (Lt) 1

Talents

Brilliant Evas.

Dead to Rights / Improved.

Dedication 2 (Agility / Presence)

Def. Driving

Field Cmndr

Form on Me

Full Stop

Full Throttle

Grit

Let's Ride

Master Pilot

Natural Piot

Quick Strike

Rapid Recovery

Sit. Awareness

Skill Jockey

Toughened

Tricky Target

I figured he got 100 xp from helping Destroy the Death Star & living to tell about it, and various adventures from Rogue Squadron got him 470xp.

Edited by Lancer999

(edited)

Edited by awayputurwpn

Keep 'em coming!

"Alec, that was an awesome ending for your Jedi Master! About your new character for the finale of the campaign... the scene is going to be that huge space battle we talked about. You'll start with about 200 extra XP to keep up with the others. I'd suggest something like a Rebel starfighter pilot. Harrison and Carrie said they'd be a little late to the next session and Mark is going to need someone to keep his character alive. He's still kinda a newb, and probably won't bother to read up on the space combat rules, but what he lacks in common sense and preparation he makes up for with enthusiasm! I jest... he's gotten a lot better since our first session. But he'll still probably need someone to keep Luke alive."

Wedge Antilles, "Red Two", X-Wing Pilot

Human, (Commander) Squadron Commander + (Ace) Pilot

Wedge is a young 20-something starfighter pilot for the Rebellion, with maturity far beyond his years. The Empire killed his girlfriend over a year ago, and he's been flying with the Rebellion ever since. Over the last six months he has proven himself both a capable pilot and leader as Red Squadron has conducted a number of raids on Imperial convoys and depots. The looming battle to save Yavin and the Rebel Alliance will not be easy for anyone, but if anyone can pull it off, Red Squadron can.

Characteristics : Br 2, Ag 4, In 2, Cn 2, Wi 2, Pr 3

Derived : Def 0, Wnd 12, Str 13, Soak 2

Skills : Comp 1, Cool 1, Lead 2, Perc 2, Pilot Space 2, Res 1, Vig 1, Gun 2

Talents : Brilliant Evasion, Defensive Driving (2), Field Commander, Full Throttle, Full Throttle (Improved), Grit (1), Let's Ride, Natural Pilot, Rapid Recovery, Situational Awareness, Skilled Jockey (2)

Duty : Space Superiority

Equipment : Flight space suit, 5 stimpacks, light blaster pistol, field ration pack, distress beacon

Edited by Mariner

Here's my entry .

This is young 21-year-old Wedge, shortly before the Battle of Yavin. He's a low-to-moderately experienced (255 XP total) Ace Pilot who hasn't bought into any other specializations, and isn't even on the bottom row of Pilot. I made him complete with motivations, obligations, and duty, as well as a short story about his past, all culled from various internet sources. I also included his X-wing for good measure. I figure he's had about 8 or 9 sessions of play, and could fit easily into any campaign without throwing off the balance.

Here's my entry .

This is young 21-year-old Wedge, shortly before the Battle of Yavin. He's a low-to-moderately experienced (255 XP total) Ace Pilot who hasn't bought into any other specializations, and isn't even on the bottom row of Pilot. I made him complete with motivations, obligations, and duty, as well as a short story about his past, all culled from various internet sources. I also included his X-wing for good measure. I figure he's had about 8 or 9 sessions of play, and could fit easily into any campaign without throwing off the balance.

Hey Oggy Bin Doggy...How do you do that to have a PDF viewer appear??

Here's my entry .

Hey Oggy Bin Doggy...How do you do that to have a PDF viewer appear??

Nothing :) It gets built into your browser when you install Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Yeah. He's just hosting on a site that allows him to share it with others.

Yeah. He's just hosting on a site that allows him to share it with others.

So How do I do that???

I do it from Dropbox. I use the dropbox client and transfer the file I want to share to the Public folder. Once Dropbox syncs, you can rightclick on the file and select "copy public link". From there I can paste the link to these boards. If it's a PDF and your browser is capable of opening it, the PDF should be displayed in the browser. If your browser is not capable. It will be downloaded to your computer (assuming you tell it to).

https://www.dropbox.com/gs

works for me.

Don't like doing these because I spend WAY too much time doing them.

Wedge Antilles (Just before the battle of Yavin) (Character sheet PDF)

if you follow legends he was a smuggler, before he became part of the rebellion, and before being a smuggler he was a Farmer. For me he became a "hero" after Loka Hask killed his parents and sought revenge and spent some time as a smuggler pilot, before joining the rebellion and later being accepted into Starfighter command.

So... starting out:

Corellian Human. SMuggler/Pilot

all characteristics at 2, except agility at 4, and intellect at 3.

Social Class: Middle Class Struggles. Hook: Wrong place Wrong time.

Obligation: Responsibility (10 +5XP) (Friends that help him, Terrik, Rallo, Mala Tinero)

Career Skills: Perception, Piloting (space), Streetwise, Underworld

Specialization skills: Gunnery, Piloting (Planetary)

10 XP spent to gain a rank in non-career Mechanics. 5 Xp to get skilled Jockey

Getting a small modified Freighter, holdout Pistol, basic odds and ends.

Spent a year or so as a struggling freighter Pilot, before his Obligation was triggered by the Imperials attacking the Gus Talon Station. guessing about dozen sessions, for 200 XP, and he "pays off" the obligation after finding the fate of Mala's death, and JOINS THE REBELLION!

Spends it thusly:

Specialization: Full Throttle, Galaxy Mapper (twice), Let's Ride, Skilled Jockey, Dead to Rights, Full Throttle (Improved), Rapid Recovery, Grit, Natural Pilot.

Skills (one more rank in Each): Astrogation, Cool, Discipline, Gunnery, Piloting (space), Leadership, Knowledge (Outer Rim) Streetwise

30 XP: Commander (Squadron Leader)

New Duty: Space Superiority. New Motivation: Conflict (Honor in Battle)

Spent a year with starfighter command. And became a little more well rounded before being sent to the Forest moon of Yavin. 120 More XP to spend based on his minor adventures before the battle of Yavin and talking smack with some farmboy who brags about hunting rats

Skills: Piloting (Space), and Gunnery up 2 ranks. Also plus one rank in Cool, Vigilance, and Galactic Civil war.

Talents: Grit, Defensive Driving, Situational awareness, Tricky Target.

My Thoughts: Luke could easily be in the 500 XP range. I could see a lot of the "Vetrans" in Red Squadron being near or at that level. (i.e. Anyone killed by Vader :D ) Thus Wedge had to be somewhat as good, the defensive talents help him be one of the only survivors of the battle. This version I really see him at the Cusp of being one of the best pilots in the Alliance. I really don't think "Red 2" meant he was second in command, just wingman to red leader. Otherwise, why would they allow Luke to lead the final trench run instead of Wedge? And i certainly do not think this is an optimized character. Likely will get dedication soon, and a rank of perception.

Edited by kinnison

Just under 22 hours to post and/or edit your entries!

Voting will commence at midnight PST!

Wedge_Antilles_1.jpg

Wedge Antilles – Corellian Human > Ace Hot Shot / Squadron Leader

A dissident from the Imperial army, Wedge Antilles quick rise through the ranks of the Rebel Alliance and his bravado as a hot shot quickly landed him a position as squadron Leader.

I specifically chose to make him a hot shot as he was known as a show-off (his wookieepedia page even has a heading called “Rebel Hot Shot”), he learned to do repairs in the garage of Rallo on Gus Talon and eventually rose to a position of high command a diverse and fun character to build.

I even got to use a signature ability for the first time and it is one that really matches Wedge!

This build of Wedge represents him at his apex during the Battle of Endor, this means that by this time he has racked up a lot of experience (500xp on top of starting xp to be exact.)

Brawn 2

Agility 4

Intelligence 2

Cunning 2

Willpower 2

Presence 4 (through dedication)

Def 0, Wnd 12, Str 17, Soak 2

Skills: Cool 2, Coordination 1, Gunnery 3, Mechanics 2, Piloting Space 4, Leadership 2

Talent Ace Hot Shots: Skilled Jockey 1, Shortcut 2, Grit 2, Intense Presence, Koiogran Turn, Corellian Send-off, Improved Corellian Send-off, High G-Training 2, Dead to Rights, Second Chances 2, Improved Dead to Rights.

Signature Ability: Unmatched Survivability base ability

Talents Squadron Leader: Grit 2, Field Commander, Command 2, Improved Field Commander, Confidence, Form on me, Dedication, Let’s Ride

Duty: Combat Victory

Motivation: Defeat the Empire

Equipment: Flight suit, Blaster pistol, X-wing

Edited by DanteRotterdam

AND the contestants are...

Lancer999 with Wedge at the start of RotJ

Mariner with Wedge Antilles, "Red Two", X-Wing Pilot

OggDude with young 21-year-old Wedge

kinnison with Wedge Antilles (Just before the battle of Yavin)

DanteRotterdam with Wedge Antilles – Corellian Human > Ace

Please vote now for your favorite build! Voting ends at 8am GMT, February 1st.

(Only one vote per forum member, please!)

Edited by awayputurwpn