Gene enchaced guardsman

By felismachina, in Only War

So i was messing around with idea of enchaced guardsman for some time. I wanted to have some explanation why some particular can take special missions aka deathwatch style insted of just sending deathwatch. After some reading various books, supplements, codexes etc. i came with an idea inspired by Detachment D99 (special elysian force serving inquisition).

In my current campaing players after their former was almost wipe out (12 men survived) was drafted into inqusitorial special task unit called Gladius Veritatis. The unit was formed mostly from veteran cadians who fought chaos and tyranids. Inquisitor in charge with magos biologis developed experimental gene therapy which should enchance guardsman fighting capabilities so they can stand against xenos and chaos forces and do mission which are too much even for acolytes.

After messing up with rules i came up with something like this. A bunch of traits all which have some flaw.

Geno surgical enchacment.
The geno-surgical process introduces a series of new organs
and glands to a guardsman's body, allowing it to
survive in more toxic environments as well as fight even
more fiercely than before. These duplicate the effects
of a Respirator and make them resistant to poisons giving (Resistance: Poison) talent.
Character also choose two of these traits: Unnatural Toughness (1), Unnatural Strength (1), Unnatural Agility (1) Unnatural Perception (1) and gains Unstable metabolic reaction
or Anomalous Dermal Calcification trait (Whicheever MG chooses)
Unstable metabolic reaction.
The surgical procedures and gene therapy used to enchance fighting potential of this character has left them subject to heart failure or catastrophic embolism in situations of extreme stress.
After failed fear test, charge action or taking levels of fatigue twice the toughess bonus, character must pass Challenging (+0) Toughness test or suffer from cardiac arrest. To prevent character with cardiac arrest from dying requires Hard (-30) Medicae test within k10+Toughness bonus rounds. If test is succesful charater is unconscious for d5+fatigue levels hours and after he/she wakes up he gains 1 fatigue level.
Anomalous Dermal Calcification
The hieghtened glands and organs implanted into these veterans have succesfully increased their muscle growth but have also resulted in calcification of joints and limbs.
When making a run action character roll d5xAgility bonus+Agility bonus. Eg. character with 3 agility bonus roll 3d5 then add agility bonus. The amount determines run distance.
When making charge action character charge distance depends on this table.
AB Charge distance
2 d5+1
3 2d5-1
4 2d5+2
5 3d5
6 3d5+3
I am not sure about charge distance or how it should be rolled to make things simple.
Tell me what do you guys think
Edited by felismachina

I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but check out XCOM: Enemy Within for gene-modded soldier ideas. It's a really good example.

I like it. I can't really comment on the movement table, as we've ditched it entirely, but the concept seems sound and mechanically in line with what fluff and crunch describe hormone-based mods to do. Nice job.

Given these glands are all toxins/hormone cocktails, you may want to think on how they interact with other combat drugs, specifically frenzon and stimm, as frequent candidates. Homeopathic "drugs" like leatherwort should be fine, though.

So not yet having played a game of Only War

So my own bit to add is you should look at this http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Sonnilion/media/GlandWarriors-WD.jpg.html

and of course the Gland Warrior from Into the Storm book for RT pg 84-85.

and or with what you have, add a Chem Gland from Inquisitor's Handbook pg 138, to add in 3 drugs for combat - Frenzon, Slaught, Stimm or De-Tox

I would also look at add Blackbone Bracing from Into the Storm book for RT pg 141 (to gain Bulging Biceps and Iron Jaw)

and from the Only War core book Cybernetics

Autosanguine

Subskin & Cranial Armour

Synthmuscle

Autosanguine requires mechanicus implants.

Autosanguine requires mechanicus implants.

Well in Gland Warrior from Into the Storm book for RT pg 84-85, it is available as a talent you could take, so I'm assuming that you could fluff it as an increased healing factor from new experimental gene therapy upgrades.

and another interesting option is Health problems :

Given the experimental gene therapy upgrades, well there might be unforeseen medical side effects. You are more prone to cancers and other related problems. Every time you make 1250 exp, roll a d10. If you roll a 7 or 9, you have developed a debilitating cancer. This will not immediately affect play, but between sessions you will be diagnosed with a medical problem that will involve painful and unpleasant treatment. Lose 1 wound permanently, and again each time you roll a 7 or 9 every 1250 .

Edited by Angel of Death

Advancing ranks hasn't been a thing since Deathwatch.

Still, if you want to capture debilitating effects of cancers etc, there's a rule for radiation exposure that can be used from the Tome of Decay. You could periodically have the character test as per radiation exposure. Maybe after each combat they activate their glands in.

That's assuming you wanted to do things that way.

Advancing ranks hasn't been a thing since Deathwatch.

Still, if you want to capture debilitating effects of cancers etc, there's a rule for radiation exposure that can be used from the Tome of Decay. You could periodically have the character test as per radiation exposure. Maybe after each combat they activate their glands in.

That's assuming you wanted to do things that way.

As I had noted above, I have yet to play Only War so I changed it to 1250 exp

and 7 is for Nurgle and 9 for Tzeentch screwing with the PC

edit to spell Tzeentch correctly

Edited by Angel of Death

I find the table for anomalous dermal calcification a bit fiddly. But overall neat!