Jedi Knight

By Kilcannon, in Game Mechanics

Looking to run a jedi knight campaign where a small group of jedi were secretly trained by Yoda. The story will be they are destined to die, but play an intricate role in setting things in motion for the rebelion. But I want them to be full fledged jedi knights. How many experience to do all that jedi can do old days and be decent pilots

500 xp is likely about right after chargen

That's a difficult question and one that has been debated ad nauseam on these very boards. Being a Jedi Knight means different things to different people and their appearances in the various forms of media over the past 35+ years has not helped to define specifically what it means to be a Jedi Knight.

Force and Destiny suggests 150XP but you might find that's still a little light.

I think a better question is, what kind of story are you wanting to tell? Will they be in hiding and uncovering secrets and staying one step ahead of the empire? Or will it be high action, with the PCs constantly against inquisitors.

I'd say 300-500 should do it. However, I have trouble viewing F&D careers as anything other than "careers you take after you have some experience elsewhere". One approach might be to develop the characters based on what they're doing "now" to make ends meet, plus have them take the Force Sensitive Exile or Emergent tree...there are handy Talents in those trees that help keep them under the Imperial radar. Then allocate some XP to pick an F&D spec to retroactively show what they learned under Yoda. IOW, something like:

Normal chargen using EotE/AoR careers.

+100XP for their starting career

+100XP for the FSEx or FSEm tree, some Talents, and Force powers.

+100XP for an F&D career spec, some Talents, and more Force power development.

That would give them the background, but reinforce the idea that they've been needing to be "other people" for a long while now.

Edit: modified options.

Edited by whafrog

Yeah it's really up to what this:

I want them to be full fledged jedi knights... to do all that jedi can do old days...

means.

+150xp as suggested in to book is fine if you're thinking just the films where the force is surprisingly low key and not as heavily used as your memory thinks it was. You do have to be a little more deliberate when you do your build though. The upside is this power level is still low enough that advancement over the course of the campaign will still be a pretty juicy reward.

+200-300 is more the neighborhood that many people expect, with enough XP to get the player up to, or close to FR2 and still have enough left over for some talents and a fairly broad selection of basic force powers, or a 2-3 powers with a good number of upgrades.

+400-500 will get you well into "Knights of Old" and probably into the "Master" territory, with lots of Force powers and upgrades and so on.

My advice is this:

If you/your players are new to the system, go for +150xp and don't be afraid to ask us for a little help with the build. More XP will get you farther, but it also means the characters will be more complex, so you'll be more likely to make mistakes or forget important bonuses.

If you've been around the block with this system, go for +300ish. Just make sure that as the GM you approve the characters before play. Look for hyper-focus and min/maxing, and encourage the players make well rounded and balanced characters. Muderbots are fun up front, but it gets old fast and kind of embarrassing when you face your first Hutt negotiation and find that the best roll you got among the entire party is GG . For you the GM, be warned that you'll need to work a little harder to develop encounters that can challenge the players.

If you want to go all out, go for +500. This should probably be for experienced players planning to make builds utilizing at least 2-3 Specs with less interest in character Stat advancement and more interest in Story and Narrative advancement. Likewise the GM will probably be hard pressed to seriously challenge the players. Like the last version, watch out for hyper-focusing and broken builds.

Edited by Ghostofman

If you're sticking to the movies, then 150 will do the job. As kaosae noted, it will be a little tight, but then you have to keep in mind that Anakin and Obi-Wan of the prequels were the "super stars" of the Jedi Order, and were not the run-of-the-mill Jedi Knights. I think Awayputyrwpn did a Knight Level build that captured most of what Obi-Wan as of the very start of The Phantom Menace could do, with the caveat that he earned and spent XP to advance his skills and talents as the events of the movie progressed. Most of what he does Force-wise in TPM can be pulled off with a Force Rating of 1 and a bit of luck (rolling double LS pips), though it also in part depends on how much of a hard-ass you are as the GM in how some of the powers operate.

For instance, I'd say that TPM!Obi was able to use Move with a Strength Upgrade and the "hurl objects" Control Upgrade to take out a minion group of B1 battle droids by essentially slamming them into the ground and treating the "knocked prone" as a purely narrative effect of them taking enough damage to exceed their individual wound thresholds, and thus only requiring 2 Force Points. But other GMs might require the Magnitude Upgrade to affect multiple droids and thus need a higher Force Rating.

He'd also only really need FR1 to use Enhance for his Force Leaps, taking at least the first two Control Upgrades and the Range Upgrade on the right side of the power tree so that he can leap out to medium range either vertically or horizontally; the horizontal movement could be used to explain him and Qui-Gon doing the super-speed run away from the Destroyer Droids early in the film.

Away also stated up a version of Kanan that was also 150 XP, and covered the bulk of what you see him do in Spark of Rebellion, but very little else.

I think I will go with the split in experience between force and non force talents to show the time they spent with Yoda and the time they spent in hiding. Gonna have Alderan's destruction as the time when Yoda calls on them to act and come out of hiding.

Probably gonna go with starting character experience plus 100 Knight, 100 non force career (s), and 100 Force related from EoE or AoR

If you're sticking to the movies, then 150 will do the job. As kaosae noted, it will be a little tight, but then you have to keep in mind that Anakin and Obi-Wan of the prequels were the "super stars" of the Jedi Order, and were not the run-of-the-mill Jedi Knights. I think Awayputyrwpn did a Knight Level build that captured most of what Obi-Wan as of the very start of The Phantom Menace could do, with the caveat that he earned and spent XP to advance his skills and talents as the events of the movie progressed. Most of what he does Force-wise in TPM can be pulled off with a Force Rating of 1 and a bit of luck (rolling double LS pips), though it also in part depends on how much of a hard-ass you are as the GM in how some of the powers operate.

Actually that one was my fault.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114395-knight-level-play-too-soon/page-3

I assumed each Act of the film translated to a single session of play.

TPM Obi-wan as RAW Knight:

Well some of the issue is no doubt the ole "certain point of view" that Obi-wan was such a jerkface about, but you end up the same anyway... The thing is I only look at what the character does, not what some novel said he did, or some comic, or what I want him to do just because he's him. Then I next assume that we're not seeing the dumb failures. The Phantom Menace is the adventure where everyone was largely rolling well, that business on Cato Nemoidia doesn't count because that was the time Obi rolled three critical failures in a row, had his WT exceeded twice, and forgot that he had to rescue the princess before blowing up the battlestation.

So, using just what you see in TPM film you'll notice that while Obi does use the force regularly, he never really does anything that requires a high FR.

Feel free to mention anything I missed, but offhand he.....

Holds his breath

Knocks over some battledroids

Runs down a hallway (Maybe, this could be explained several ways ranging from The Force, to Triumphant Athletics, to The Editor Likes Vodka)

Jump-kicks (also maybe, but he jumpkicked two droids in the head at the same time so I'll go with yes to force on this, but it's a lower priority).

Jumps

Launches himself out of a pit using only his mighty biceps and rage

... anything I forget?

Talent-wise he:

Reflects

Improved reflects (again, maybe, but more maybe this time as he tends to reflect while at engaged range and follows through with a lightsaber to the torso, so this could easily be regular reflect followed by a lightsaber attack and creative narrative play)

Parrys

and........ Anything missing here?

So with the film as my guide I notice two important things:

1) He never really does anything that requires a roll of more then 2 force pips

2) He doesn't really do anything especially Shadowee

Meaning he doesn't need an FR of 2, and by extension, doesn't need the Shadow Spec. THAT frees up a TON of XP To the point where now I can make a TPM grade Obi-wan with only a lightsaber and +150 XP. I'm not a numbers guy so feel free to check my math, but I should be pretty solid with:

Obi-wan Kenobi

Sentinel:Shien

Conflict:Brave/Arrogant

Morality 50, +10 XP

Is going for a balanced character, so take 3's in everything except Int and Pre

Career/Spec rankings in:

Athletics

Discipline

Perception

Stealth

Lightsaber

Human bonus Ranks in

Piloting:Space

Gunnery (I'm flexible on both of these if you've got a better idea)

Buys Various odds and ends with his starting credits.

Takes Mentor option Qui-gon, later Yoda/Council)

Knight Level:

+1 Rank Saber

Talents:Street Smarts, Reflect, Defensive Training, Conditioned, Parry, Shien, Reflect, Improved Reflect

Powers: Enhance + Control (resilience) + Control (Brawl) + Control (Leap Horz) + Control (Leap Vert)

Move + Str, Rng, Control (throw)

5 XP to spare

+15-20 XP for Act/Session 1, +15-20 XP for Act/Session 2

That leaves ample XP for additional Skill Ranks and Talents before facing off against Maul., though depending on how you stat out Maul, he could go all the way to the credits (+15-20 XP for Act/Session 3) without spending hardly a single XP if he so desired....

Alternative builds put additional ranks in Discipline and such upon character creation in exchange for using Act 1 & 2s XP to purchase Leap Vert, Conditioned, Parry and/or anything else he doesn't use until Act 2 or 3. And as I mentioned, I'm flexible on Improved Reflect if you find you need a little more XP for something else Obi does in a more visible and defined fashion.

Now about the whole: "But as a Jedi I should have a waaaay higher FR then some farmboy that hasn't trained a day in his life!" issue.

Should you? We assumed so for a long time because of a chart in the EotE beta, but that chart was eliminated and hasn't been seen since. So when you look at F&D now, you'll see that Force usage isn't intended to be as much about power as training. Max our your FR all you like, if you don't got the Power tree to go with it you're not much better then a guy with a low FR, but his power trees carefully leveraged to make the most of those few pips he will be rolling.

But there you have it. My certain point of view.

One of these days I'd like to watch the film again and see if Qui-gon can be made using the same guidelines... I'm thinking probably... But I also came to the interesting conclusion that Qui-gon was probably played by the same player as Anakin, since Anakin "completes the campaign" but has very little direct interaction with Qui-gon, often taking action specifically in locations and encounters the other players are physically restricted from taking part in (space battle, podrace).

Decided to go with 200 XP for jedi talents and force powers. Then going with 100xp for EoE/AoR specializations, talents, and skills for their time in hiding.