Question about opportunist (Jyn's special ability)

By El_Tonio, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

It says, "after you resolve an attack, if the target suffered 1 or more [damage], move 1 space."

It does NOT say "may." Does this mean it is required and not an option? If so, seems like it could be a cost as much as a benefit depending on the situation.

Didn't see anything about this anywhere, and there is not an entry for opportunist in the RRG. Sorry if I'm just missing something. Thanks in advance for your help!

NOTE: I also posted this over on BGG ( http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1286712/question-about-opportunist-jyns-special-ability/page/1 ), but wanted to post it here to make the question official in the hopes that FFG will eventually chime in.

Using the Opportunitist special ability is optional in itself, so whether the movement is optional doesn't really make a difference.

There is lots of discussion about whether special abilities are always optional starting on p. 2 of that post. I think there are enough good points raised there that it would be nice to have a clear ruling.

To me it's obvious that the intent is that it's optional, even if the wording was not clear enough to say so exactly.

The preview for the character does explicitly say it's optional. Sure, it's a "preview" and not a "ruling", but the previews are going to be written by people who have played the game, and certainly would have been vetted by those who were working on the game design.

If you want an official answer, FFG will not chime in on the forums - it is company policy that they do not participate in the forums.

You can send in rules questions, however, and they will get back to you eventually, or at least add it to the FAQ. I'm sure a FAQ will come out sometime in the next month or two.

I agree it is likely optional. Would have been nice if they included the word may. And, if you are correct that ALL sepcial abilities are optional, that would be another way of answer the question, too. I just can't tell for sure.

One would assume that they are optional, as you are not required to spend surges, which also trigger additional effects.

Just heard back from FFG re: Jyn's ability. Here is the reply:

"Rules as written, she would not have the option. I have it on good authority, however, that this will be addressed soon."

So, it would seem that all special actions are not optional and are sometimes required. Two ways to fix this would be put "may" in the description, or make it so all special abilities are optional. I'll be they do the former and not the later. Guess we'll know soon.

In the preview article of Jyn under "The Smuggler" sub-section, it states, "Thankfully, Jyn Odan also has the Opportunist ability. Whenever she attacks, if her target suffered damage, she may move one space, allowing her to get behind cover or set up another shot." So I have been playing this ability as optional with my play groups.

I think it was a typo but I like that ffg have said that you have to. It does make sence - rolling / diving matrix style to shoot at targets.

In the preview article of Jyn under "The Smuggler" sub-section, it states, "Thankfully, Jyn Odan also has the Opportunist ability. Whenever she attacks, if her target suffered damage, she may move one space, allowing her to get behind cover or set up another shot." So I have been playing this ability as optional with my play groups.

Their articles for many of their games are often replete with misinterpretations of rules or interactions. Not to mention outdated card previews or just typos.

I would heavily caution using a preview article as a source for rules interpretations.