BIG SALE!

By vermillian2, in CoC General Discussion

OMFG http://app.fantasyflightgames.com/5dsale2008.html

Well I now know where and how to get some starters just to play the game. Sure, chances are these won't be 'legal' for play after the core set is released, but WHO CARES! My friends and I will enjoy it.

What a HUGE sale! They're definitely going to rotate out older cards.

I might need to buy a few boxes, just for drafting... Don't like the shipments costs at all, though. $55 for an order of $66 is a lot. Still that's only a bit over one dollar per booster, which means under one euro for a fresh booster.

It'll be interesting to see how long will the supplies last, I'm betting not for long.

I don't know, but I want to order some boosters pretty bad. There really needs to be an official announcement on the status of the older CoC cards. ASAP.

I wonder if there will even be anything left to order by the time I get off work tomorrow....

I just nabbed a box of Masks and Forgotten Cites. I am very curious about "Blue Moon', any one here playit? I am scrambling to find opinions because if it's worth the blow out price (and fun) I will try to get FFG to let me add it to my order. One thing I can say is the art looks amazing. Are they dropping it entirely?

My guess is that they probably are dropping it. :( Looks like quite a bit of the product in the sale is.

Ah well, I sucked it up and bought a box of Forgotten Cities. I've been needing it for awhile.

~I'll love the official announcement two weeks from now explaining the new rotation coming to CoC though.....

Kennon said:

~I'll love the official announcement two weeks from now explaining the new rotation coming to CoC though.....

Now that it has been known for a while to happen, it won't hurt that much. You have yourself already prepared. ;)

Kennon said:

~ Is that two weeks normal time, or two weeks FFG time?

Bard, we haven't had an actual announcement have we? I've just been worried about it since the mess with AGoT.

Lol, Hastur, I'm thinking FFG time. ~ So that means the announcement will come in February, and the Core set in early May. ;)

Kennon said:

Bard, we haven't had an actual announcement have we? I've just been worried about it since the mess with AGoT.

Lol, Hastur, I'm thinking FFG time. ~ So that means the announcement will come in February, and the Core set in early May. ;)

I would laff if it wern't so true. Now I cry.... llorando.gif

If I wanted to buy my first bunch of thrones cards, would any of these be a wise purchase? Valyrian booster box maybe?

Never played the game - is the product that's available in the sale worth picking up?

How does this game play compared to Mythos?

johnny shoes said:

If I wanted to buy my first bunch of thrones cards, would any of these be a wise purchase? Valyrian booster box maybe?

Valyrian was a fun set, but probably not my recommendation. Iron Throne Block was the best block in the history of the game. Iron Throne was a great set for constructed and limited with a wonderful balance of influence and crest effects, a variety of subthemes and traits to explore in house and through dual house cards. Also the first set to debut the newer card design (pre white borders at least) and while I disliked it at first (and still have a few quibbles) the more I play them, the better they look. Also, the expansions A House of Thorns and A House of Talons were fantastic sets. I'd love to relive that year in AGOT goodness. Depending on how much product you want to pick up, those are what I'd recommend.

Master of R'lyeh said:

I just nabbed a box of Masks and Forgotten Cites. I am very curious about "Blue Moon', any one here playit? I am scrambling to find opinions because if it's worth the blow out price (and fun) I will try to get FFG to let me add it to my order. One thing I can say is the art looks amazing. Are they dropping it entirely?

Blue Moon is fun, but very strange. Sort of plays like a weird board game as opposed to a card game like you may be familiar with. From demoing it at GenCon a few times, I can say people either catch on quickly and "get it" and love the concept, but those who can't get it to click give up trying pretty quickly. I'd say it's worth it for a cheap deal!

Kennon said:

I don't know, but I want to order some boosters pretty bad. There really needs to be an official announcement on the status of the older CoC cards. ASAP.

I wonder if there will even be anything left to order by the time I get off work tomorrow....

yes, I resisted for this reason, even at $2 / starter.

After placing a $200 AT-43 and Confrontation order I realized that I forgot to get a Cthulhu card coffin, however. That's a bummer -- it would look great in my game room.

Interesting dynamic, the FFG sale and the two big unknowns - what will be in the cthulhu and thrones core set, and weather CCG be phased out. At sixty six percent off base prices (the $75 booster display) and eighty percent off list (remember the $127 booster boxes), one can afford to gamble. I mean, the cards aren't going to go up - poof - in smoke if they reappear with a white border. There will be white border only tournaments, of course. Classic format will persevere on the supported level. You'd think. But sadly, on the local level and with regional metas, if you are caught playing rotated out cards or four per card in a deck, that's it . That's the end. The FFG police will crash down your door and off you. Your collection will be confiscated and dipped in white paint. So don't do it!

Not to be "negative nacncy" but I could care less what FFG does with C.O.C. anymore. It's obvious they don't care about us (the core players, that have been here since the beginning) and it's obvious they are trying to weed us out. I may or may not invest anymore money into the game, but if I do I don't care about these sill new rules like 3 cards per deck or old cards being "banned". I play the game to have fun so I don't want all this bs to ruin that (which is sorely has over the past year).

I just ordered a box of FR and a lot of AE starters just for the drafting experience. I LOVE drafting. Too bad there was no UT left when I was making my purchases, 3x UT + 3x FR is a good draft mix.

I hope I get them for Christmas... but I doubt it. Does anybody have any guesses on how long it'll approximately take for the cards to arrive in a country like Finland?

Bard said:

Does anybody have any guesses on how long it'll approximately take for the cards to arrive in a country like Finland?

Hi, I live in Helsinki and ordered a couple of displays, a few starters and a card coffin on the 30th of November. The order was shipped on the 5th of December and is still yet to arrive. However, on the 4th of December I ordered one display of Forgotten Cities which was not available when I made my first order. That was shipped the next day, and I got it from customs on the 12th. I guess bigger orders need special handling and the shipping takes a bit longer. At least I hope that's why the first order hasn't arrived yet.

Since there's no PM system, I'll have to type my private message here.

Thanks for the info Paajonen, I hope my boxes won't get stuck on the customs.

On other news, we have a decent-sized play group in Helsinki and are playing every other week. We won't have tournaments before Christmas, but after the holiday season we'll continue again. Our current playing location is the library of Pasila, and you'd be most welcome to join us. Let me know if you're interested and I'll add you to our email-list (you'll have to provide me with your email address of course...) so you'll get all the news regarding CoC (basically just votings on when to play next).

I see that there are still some CoC stuff in stock. I wonder if FFG will have the sale again, maybe after Christmas (hint, hint).

As an update, I got the bigger order from customs today. All in all, VAT increased the price for my two orders by almost 40 euros.

Thanks for the inivitation, Bard. I'm still familiarizing myself with the game, so I probably wouldn't be much of an opponent. I've only played a couple of games and am more into the whole collectable side of it. If and when I get a bit more experience with the game, I may well take you up on that offer.

Cheers, Joonas

Paajonen said:

As an update, I got the bigger order from customs today. All in all, VAT increased the price for my two orders by almost 40 euros.

Thanks for the inivitation, Bard. I'm still familiarizing myself with the game, so I probably wouldn't be much of an opponent. I've only played a couple of games and am more into the whole collectable side of it. If and when I get a bit more experience with the game, I may well take you up on that offer.

Cheers, Joonas

Don't worry about the experience thing. Playing is very casual in our play group (no prizes from FFG :/ ) and the environment is friendly.

There will probably be some sort of banners in gaming stores (in Fantasiapelit at least) where you can see the upcoming tournament dates and maybe an announcement on the boards so you (and other possible Finnish players) can come play. The more the merrier!

We're also planning on demoing the game a bit after the Core Set is released. We're hoping for new players.

PS. Card trading is also possible in tourneys. ;) Not everyone has their collections with them every time, though.