Road to Legend Questions

By Shoal07, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So my regular group did RtL for the first time last night and I (the OL) had a few questions. Also, we’ve played about 7-8 regular games before this, and while we have the core rules pretty much down, there’s still a question about LOS.

1) Is there a guide, well written post/article, or a graphic that details LOS for this game, beyond the horrible explanation in the rule book?

2) XP after one dungeon seemed extremely high (considering the book says it should take 4-5 dungeons to progress to Silver level, we’ll do it in 2). The OL gained 35 XP through deck shuffle and killing players, the players gained 23 XP each from killing leaders, activating glyphs, chests, and the 1pt for exploration (when they found the dungeon). That is 23x4 + 35, or 127 XP from 1 dungeon. I saw in one of the stickies above that the OL gains 3 conquest when he shuffles, but do the players lose conquest (I know they don’t for death anymore)? This is the only think I can think of that would slow the game progress down.

I’ve been Google-ing and finding answers, but I’m sure I’ll have more in a bit. The search functions in the forums aren’t that greeat.

About the campaign progression... you're confusing conquest tokens and experience.

From those 23 conquest tokens they earned, each hero nets 23 *experience*, but the group as a whole still only gets 23 conquest tokens, so after your first dungeon, you have a grand total of 23 (the players conquest tokens, not experience)+35 (overlords conquest tokens)=58 conquest tokens, which means about 3 more dungeons until silver level happy.gif

Also keep in mind that you can spend experience, but not conquest tokens, that's why you have to keep track of both numbers. If the overlord has built up 100 conquest tokens, that will give him 100 experience to spend, but even if he spends all his experience, his conquest tokens is still at 100.

Sinuouser said:

About the campaign progression... you're confusing conquest tokens and experience.

From those 23 conquest tokens they earned, each hero nets 23 *experience*, but the group as a whole still only gets 23 conquest tokens, so after your first dungeon, you have a grand total of 23 (the players conquest tokens, not experience)+35 (overlords conquest tokens)=58 conquest tokens, which means about 3 more dungeons until silver level happy.gif

Also keep in mind that you can spend experience, but not conquest tokens, that's why you have to keep track of both numbers. If the overlord has built up 100 conquest tokens, that will give him 100 experience to spend, but even if he spends all his experience, his conquest tokens is still at 100.

Thank you so much, that makes sense now.

Shoal07 said:

1) Is there a guide, well written post/article, or a graphic that details LOS for this game, beyond the horrible explanation in the rule book?

Try this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35882

edroz said:

Shoal07 said:

Try this: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35882

I think that helps in this regard - LOS is traced from the center of a square to the center of the other, and if that line gets interrupted by anything, no LOS... Correct? So I could basically use a piece of string. We somehow had the understanding that LOS could be traced from any part of a square to any part of another square. This left little room for the OL to spawn, and the players were hitting some crazy angles.

I must say, they could have spent a bit more time on the LOS issue in the book. It really is a critical element in the game and really should be as clear as possible.

Shoal07 said:

I think that helps in this regard - LOS is traced from the center of a square to the center of the other, and if that line gets interrupted by anything, no LOS... Correct? So I could basically use a piece of string. We somehow had the understanding that LOS could be traced from any part of a square to any part of another square. This left little room for the OL to spawn, and the players were hitting some crazy angles.

I must say, they could have spent a bit more time on the LOS issue in the book. It really is a critical element in the game and really should be as clear as possible.

Doesn't page 9-10, under Step 2: Confirm Line of Sight, say exactly this?

Big Remy said:

Shoal07 said:

Doesn't page 9-10, under Step 2: Confirm Line of Sight, say exactly this?

Yes, yes it does. Reading is fundamental. I guess in the heat of the moment, and all the pages of rules I've read, the center to center thing was overlooked. Thank you all.

Shoal07 said:

Yes, yes it does. Reading is fundamental. I guess in the heat of the moment, and all the pages of rules I've read, the center to center thing was overlooked. Thank you all.

Sorry, I felt like kind of a jerk after saying that but the edit time had expired. I can't even count high enough to cover the number of things I've missed for rules like this in Descent. I think I've read each rule book about 20 times easily by now.

Shoal07 said:

, the players gained 23 XP each from killing leaders, activating glyphs, chests, and the 1pt for exploration

Sorry to pull this one out again, but I just been reading through RtL threads since we startet RtL for the first time.

Heroes don't get CTs from chests anymore, do they? The "normal" CT outcome for the heroes therefore should be 18?

Anselmus said:

Shoal07 said:

, the players gained 23 XP each from killing leaders, activating glyphs, chests, and the 1pt for exploration

Sorry to pull this one out again, but I just been reading through RtL threads since we startet RtL for the first time.

Heroes don't get CTs from chests anymore, do they? The "normal" CT outcome for the heroes therefore should be 18?

If the Chest contains no treasures (ie no blanks rolled on 4 black dice) then the heroes get 1 CT. For some people this happens depressingly often!

Considering that many levels have multiple Bosses and several levels have more than one glyph, not to mention special bonuses from Villagers or Prisoners or similar, there is no "normal" outcome.

The average hero score for a full 3 level dungeon (on the rare occasions that they would actually bother to go through all three levels) is probably around 2(boss)+3(glyph)+2(boss)+3(glyph)+4(boss)+3(glyph)+1(chest with no treasure, about 1 in 3)+2-8(extra bosses or glyphs, or other bonuses) or around 20-26 CT.
A 3 level dungeon that is completely "normal" is a very rare beast indeed.

Corbon said:

If the Chest contains no treasures (ie no blanks rolled on 4 black dice) then the heroes get 1 CT. For some people this happens depressingly often!

I missed/forgot that one. Just too many new rules. Thanks for the point.