Marveling at Darth

By Punning Pundit, in X-Wing Off-Topic

So: as many of you know, there are a new series of Star Wars comics being released soon. The one that has my eye is Darth Vader. The reason? Kieron Gillen is writing it, and he's kind of the man.

A decade ago, Gillen redefined what Games Journalism was in his classic "New Games Journalism" essay ( http://goo.gl/JgZk5D ). He then cofounded Rock Paper Shotgun to put it in practice. RPS helped herald a renaissance in PC gaming. Gillen left RPS when Marvel came calling.

I'm sad to sat that until today, I'd not actually read his comics. What I've heard about his intentions toward the Darth Vader books left me intriged, but I had no way to judge his ability.

Vox declaring his "Wicked and Divine" to be their comic series of the year certainly whet my appetite for the Darth books.

Well today I remembered that Marvel Unlimited has a "search by Author" function. #Blushing. So I started reading Dark Avengers. Folks? It's awesome.

The thing that makes a good story is interesting characters. Gillen nails it. His Aeres is psychotic in the way a war deity kind of needs to be. Or, at least, plausibly can be.

So that's what has me excited. What about you folks? What new Star Wars books/shows/etc are you looking forward to?