siege towers

By markiemen, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Hi there,

We are having a little discussion about the siege towers.

We understand that the tower gives an +4 when attacking a stonghold or castle, but we are not really sure about the defending score. is the defending score always 0, or gives it also an +4 when defending an stonghold or castle.

Thx

Defending is always @ 0, although Defense Order bonuses are counted, House Cards are played and Support may be added.

Edited by kauai1964

Also remember that siege engines cannot retreat, as per page 21:

If a Siege Engine unit is forced to retreat, it is instead destroyed.

Siege Engine is a +4 if you use it as support as long as the attack is on a Castle or keep.

I think

From the Rulebook:

Siege Engine: Adds 4 Combat Strength
when attacking (or supporting an attack
against)
an area containing a Castle or
Stronghold. Otherwise it adds 0 Combat
Strength.

From the Rulebook:

Siege Engine: Adds 4 Combat Strength

when attacking (or supporting an attack

against) an area containing a Castle or

Stronghold. Otherwise it adds 0 Combat

Strength.

How I read this,

Adds 4 Combat Strength when attacking an area containing a Castle or Stronghold.

________________________________ (Or supporting an attack against) meaning supporting an attack you or your ally started against a castle/stronghold.

So my question is if my castle in Kings Landing is being attacked, and I have a Siege engine in the Blackwater (an adjacent territory) and that siege engine has a support order, can he support defensively for my troops at Kings Landing ?

It would make sense to me that a siege could never have a value defending in any way.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Crazylegs

From the Rulebook:

...(or supporting an attack against)...

...can he support defensively for my troops at Kings Landing ?

No. Siege Engines can not support defensively and give a +4 combat strength.

Siege Engines can support defensively, just at 0 strength (plus whatever bonus the Support Order provides).

Siege Engine is a +4 if you use it as support as long as the attack is on a Castle or keep.

I think

An SE supporting an ATTACK (this is the key point) on a Castle or Stronghold adds +4 combat strength; an SE supporting the defense of a friendly Castle or Stronghold adds 0 combat strength.

I have a question to add.

Can the Siege Engine be chosen as the 'destroyed' unit, when losing a battle, faced with a Sword or Skull (tob) icon ?

I believe YES as the 'destroyed' is implemented before the actual retreating or would picking the unit you'd lose anyway be cheating?

I've searched every where for this answer.

FAQ, PAGE 3

Q: Can Siege Engines be chosen to satisfy the necessary number of casualties suffered as the loser in a combat?

A: No. Siege Engines are destroyed automatically as a result of losing combat in addition to all other casualties suffered.

Yes I found that last night but being new here my posts didn't instantly show to correct it. Thanks again.

This does mean that the last game I played and won... I cheated. Although we played the same rule through out so not so bad.

It's the mentioning of retreat in the rule book... Siege Engine units cannot retreat. If a Siege Engine unit is forced to retreat it is instead destroyed. The FAQ words it much better. It's not the retreating that destroys the unit, (as in the men leaving the machinery behind, meaning the unit would no longer exist) but the actual combat.