Keyan, Mini-Swarm Critique

By barabelsftw, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Here's a list I'm toying with for a tournament. I left it at 99 points to bid out PS 7 super Dashes. I've found it to be fun and decently effective.

Keyan with advanced sensors, stay on target, HLC (41)

blue squadron pilot (22)

3 bandits (36)

So far it tears apart decimator lists. I know named phantoms will hurt it but I've been working on countering them. Stay on target feels made for keyan and helps keep him stressed and pointed at a target. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I think I would rather have PTL and engine.

I think I would rather have PTL and engine.

So what do you think I should get rid of on Keyan then to make that happen in the list?

With stay on target you can keep your dial on 2 k turn and just move it to any 2 speed you want to make sure he has a fire arc. Adv sensors means you can also TL or Barrel roll before you do. PTL will let you do the extra actions but with no possible movement change and it costs more. While boosting and barrel rolling is nice I don't see a whole lot of mileage from it in this heavy turret meta I'm currently list-building in. Sure I can get more turning radius from EU but changing my dial is almost as good if not better. EU will let me boost after a turn but I'd rather just k-turn at that point.

I would be worried about Keyan getting focused down too fast. He is obviously the real threat of your list.

I would be worried about Keyan getting focused down too fast. He is obviously the real threat of your list.

This has been the toughest part. I try to keep him in the back since his secondary weapon doesn't add defensive range dice. It's a tougher call to go after keyan if you have 4 other ships getting extra range 1 attack die while keyan get's an extra evade at range 3.

I wonder if you'd have as much luck with 3 Bandits and 2 Blues with Advanced Sensors and HLCs. You lose some of Keyan's kick but you are spreading the love around a bit more and won't have as big of a drop off when the first B-Wing dies.

I've yet to try Keyan as an HLC carrier but I think he might work better as a close range ship. With Stay on Target, it allows you to not only keep the desired enemy in the line of fire, but it can also be used to dodge the arcs of enemy swarmers.

The downside to Bs will always be focus fire, but if you get in close, you can avoid a lot of the arcs needed to focus him.