Getting the band back together.

By WWHSD, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I was thinking about variations on the Jonus Brothers list that will be possible when the new cannons from Wave 6 drop. I haven't come up with anything that I think would be great against the current popular builds but I did come up with one that looks like it might be fun. It trades a little bit of damage from the original list for increased control.

Jonus w/Squad Leader

2 x Delta w/Mangler Cannon + Ion Pulse Missiles

This leaves 2 points. That gets either a Seismic Charge or Flechette Torpedo on Jonus or lets you put Munitions Failsafe on both of the Deltas.

I really enjoy the Jonus Brothers list and wish I could find a more competitive version. I think this list might be a step in the right direction but I don't think it quite gets there.

What about cluster missiles with Ion Cannons? That let's you use your control on the first turn (no target lock needed), and your follow-up can be unloading re-rolling clusters into a known position. It doesn't use new cannons, but it follows your theme.

What about cluster missiles with Ion Cannons? That let's you use your control on the first turn (no target lock needed), and your follow-up can be unloading re-rolling clusters into a known position. It doesn't use new cannons, but it follows your theme.

That could work. My concern would be that after the Cluster Missiles are fired off Jonus will only be modifying Ion Cannon rolls and not the main damaging attacks from the Defenders.

Edited by WWHSD

Look at it as front-loading his effect. You get buffs in the two most important turns in the game for a jousting list. Later turns could see him buffing an Ion Cannon shot in the same turn that the Defender Target Locks, allowing a close range TL/focus primary attack next turn.

On a completely unrelated note, my brain just supplied the meaning of your username. Shoot first, that's what.

I like the idea. I've always liked the Jonus brothers list, even if it isn't top-tier competitive. I'll have to do some more thinking along these lines.

I don't think that 2x Ion Pulse Missiles are the way to go.

The Defenders really like Engine Upgrades. It makes their koiogran insane, and makes up for their red turns fairly well.

For the last two points, Squad Leader's viable again for Engine Upgrade-based Repositioning.
Alternatively, a Seismic Charge, to give Jonus a little more importance.

A sort-of variant of the Jonus Brothers, in that it's the same idea, but not actually Jonus, is Vessery, Onyx or Delta, and Mithel w/ Squad Leader. Vessery and the generic with HLCs choose focus actions, Mithel hangs back and makes the generic Target Lock at PS 7. Once firing starts, Vessery gets a Focus/TL HLC shot, then the generic does. As the Defenders pass through or K-turn, Mithel is in close range, so the opposing ships have to decide to go after the Defenders or defend against a close range Mauler on their tail.

The downside is that Mauler Mithel isn't as tough as Jonus, and the setup is action dependent. The upside is that you can operate at range 2 instead of range 1, and Mauler is a bit more of a threat than Jonus is.

Vessery, HLC = 42

Delta, HLC = 37

Mithel, Squad Leader = 19

Leaves you 2 points for some upgrade (Adrenaline Rush on Vessery?).