cluster missles vs the Deci?

By Darthfish, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Have not seen any battle reports on this and have not gotten to try it out, but we know them to be effective against low agility targets. that's 6 red dice after all.

comments? realize the only option on the reb side is A-wings, but it seems to me a bomber build could be good for this and live long enough to deliver the payload

am I crazy? With the new advanced fixes, this may be a good option too.

Might be a good choice on some cheap bandits. I think proton rockets are better for a-wings as they are cheaper and have more punch, but only can be used at range 1.

I've been toying with this as the basis of a bomber squad (I have 3 bombers) for an epic match, but it could be useful if you know you are facing a decimator, it could be useful.

Captain Jonus (22)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Proton Torpedoes (4)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 70

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The choice of ordinance is protons with a soft focus and Jonus rerolls at range 2-3 and cluster missiles with jonus rerolls at range 1-2.

I haven't played it yet, but it seems great against low agility targets.

Edited by darthjeff81

I've been toying with this as the basis of a bomber squad (I have 3 bombers) for an epic match, but it could be useful if you know you are facing a decimator, it could be useful.

Captain Jonus (22)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Proton Torpedoes (4)

Cluster Missiles (4)

Total: 70

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The choice of ordinance is protons with a soft focus and Jonus rerolls at range 2-3 and cluster missiles with jonus rerolls at range 1-2.

I haven't played it yet, but it seems great against low agility targets.

The final 30 points can get you Wingman on Jonus and a Shuttle with Fleet Officer and a Mangler Cannon. Your Bombers can TL and then fire with a focus from the Fleet Officer and the reroll from Jonus. Jonus will eat the stress from using Fleet Officer and give the Shuttle rerolls with the Mangler.

You can trade a little damage output for additional control and utility by switching out the cannon. If you dropped the Mangler for an Ion Cannon you'd be able to put a Tactical Jammer on the Shuttle to allow it to screen for you bombers or a Enhanced Scopes to make it a better blocker. Dropping to a Flechette Cannon lets you take both Enchanced Scopes and Tactical Jammer which will make it easier to slow roll your bombers behind the Shuttle's screen or to take APL on the Shuttle and hope that you can deal some damage while blocking.

Squad Leader on Jonus might sense. Scimitars are low PS so they often have a very hard time getting off ordinance in the initial pass.

Now if you up that shuttle to jendon and add the title, you can give the scimitars TL so they can have a focused attack in the first pass without the need for squad leader.

12 points left over for ordinance:

Colonel Jendon (26)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Tactical Jammer (1)
ST-321 (3)
Captain Jonus (22)
Total: 88
Anyways, back to the OP,
clustermissiles work fine and all, but usually the biggest problem is the second roll is a naked roll. You likely used your focus already on the first roll, so you're looking at an average of 2.25 damage for the first shot, then 1.5 for the second (3.75 total)
Edited by treybert