Triple X

By enomiel, in X-Wing Squad Lists

(I posted this on the general forum not realizing we now have a Squad list subforum so I repost it here)

So I got a GR-75 for Christmas (yes I pretty late considering it's release date but I didn't want to bother with epic...) and my 3rd X-wing with it so I began considering 3X list.

Of course there is the usual Wedge+Luke+Biggs but I wanted some variation on this so here is what I ended up with after some thought:

-Luke Skywalker, R2D2, Predator, improved shield: 39pts

-Biggs Darklighter, R5P9, improved shield: 32pts

-Tarn Mison, R7 astromech, improved shield: 29pts

Total: 100pts

I wanted to play with the two build considered "tanky" which are Luke+R2 and Tarn+R7 with improved shield for even more Tankines.

Tarn took wedge spot since I wanted emphasis on staying power rather than offense (I'm aware that offense often trump mitigation in this game but I wanted to try anyway).

I kept Biggs on the rooster since its ability goes well with a defensive mindset when played well, but because of this mindset I didn't want him naked as usual so I added an astromech and some more shield to help him not to fall too fast.

With this done I ended up with 3 spare points so I put a predator on Luke for added damage chance. The flying plan is quite the same as any 3X with Biggs: try to force the opponent to spread fire with positioning while wearing out his forces hopefully enough for my superior staying power to get me the upper hand in the late game.

Any thought and comment are welcome, late merry Christmas and early happy new year to all of you.

In case you aren't already aware, I just want to mention that 3X really struggles vs. TIE Swarm & phantoms...

I personally don't find R5-P9 useful on Biggs. He's attacked so often, its highly unlikely you will have a focus token left by the end phase, so you will almost never get to activate the droid's ability...

In fact, I don't think Biggs fits this list at all. Your opponent already does not want to shoot at Luke or Tarn due to their abilities. Biggs is their best first target, so his ability isn't really hindering your opponent's plans. I find him much more valuable when he's in a list with Wedge, Garven or somebody else that your opponent would really like to kill quickly.

I would suggest going with Wes instead. Veteran Instincts is great on him, so that he always uses his ability before enemies get to shoot (thus taking away their tokens so they can't use them offensively). If you have access to hull upgrade, you can drop Tarn's Shield Upgrade down to a hull and add another hull upgrade on Wes (or R5-P9 if you prefer).

I'll second the issues with R5-P9 on Biggs. Biggs gets shot at a lot. He'd need to take the Focus action to have it for the droid later but there is a very good chance he'll be using it before the EoT to turn an [eye] into a [squiggle] and save himself the damage before the droid would every restore a point of Shield. If you insist on trying this I strongly recommend that Biggs and Luke trade droids; Luke can take Focus but with Predator and his native ability has a much better chance at still having it when the EoT rolls around while all Biggs has to do it take Green Maneuvers to get his Shield back.

Another "tanky" X-Wing to consider could be Porkins w/ R5-D8 and some kind of stress inducer (PtL) to utilize his ability to shed stress.

If you're set on using Tarn, Biggs, and Luke. I'd switch R2D2 and R5P9 between Luke and Biggs.

Reason is that Luke has a pseudo-focus already so using a Focus token on defense is less likely to occur; which means saving it for R5P9.

Also R2D2 on Biggs lends more towards using Green Maneuvers while flying in formation.

Also as mentioned in the general thread and re-mentioned by StevenO if you may want to find a way upgrade Tarn to Porkins + R5D8.

You might find better survivability through the regeneration abilities of R5D8, R5P9, and R2D2 . Also stronger offensive from higher PS.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Predator on Luke. Leaves me to wonder what the heck he's going to do with an action.

The classic Luke-Biggs-Wedge worked with the following roles:

The Tank - Biggs

The Support - Luke + DTF + R2-D2 . He peels Crits off of Biggs, regenerates the damage away, and will eventually move into the role of Tank when Biggs dies.

The Ace - Wedge . His job is to deal lots of damage, protected by this aforementioned wall of insanity.

If I were to re-examine this, I'd consider the following:

1. Is there a better Tank than Biggs?
  2. Is there a better Support than Luke + DTF + R2-D2?
    1. Is there a better pilot for DTF + R2D2?
    2. Is there a better form of support than DTF + R2D2?
  3. Is there a better Ace than Wedge?

Answers:

1. No
  2. Possibly.
    1. Etahn A'baht or Corran Horn, possibly.
    2. R5-P9 looks interesting. Luke doesn't really need to spend Focii defensively, and this allows you to regen on non-green maneuvers as well.
      ​The Jan Ors crew card also looks particularly tasty. Evade tokens would help fellow ships a lot, but it is still action-dependent.
  3. Corran. Horn.

Interestingly, CH shows up in two spots, as a Wedge replacement and as a Luke replacement. That means that instead of Tank+Support+Carry, we can have Tank+Support/Carry+Support, or Tank+Support/Carry+Carry. Interesting. I'll start my own thread :)

I am considering a third X-wing, but I am waiting if there will be another aces pack with different paint-scheme.

(I am not a good painter so for me this is a bonus)

Three X-wings just look very good ;-)