Flies on a Rhino (Decimator list)

By KnightShift, in X-Wing Squad Lists

It was originally called "Flies on a Cow" until others noted that "cows" is the established slang for the Imperial Shuttle, LOL. Anyhoo, here's the refined list I've come up with...
Flies On A Rhino
100 points
Captain Oicunn (48) VT-49 Decimator (42), Rebel Captive (3), Darth Vader (3)
Academy Pilot (14) x 2 TIE Fighter (12), Targeting Computer (2)
Academy Pilot (12) x 2
That was all the TIEs I could fit on the list. Those are meant to be harasser units flying around while the Decimator unloads, dealing out stress to any brave enough to attack and giving Vader some opportunity. And of course Oicunn can charge whoever's reckless enough to get in his way.
I've a sense of having a LOT of fun with the Decimator, muhahahahaha!!
Anyhoo, critiques?

This list is very erratic.

If you want to deal out stress with Oicunn, Mara Jade is better.

Putting TC on TIEs stikes me as a waste of 4 points. Granted TL+F is much better, but I'd rather spend the points elsewhere.

Adding Vader to a ship that already costs 45 points is a pricy ship that crits itself. Seems like Vader on the generic alone or on Kenkirk seems like a better idea.

I think I'll agree with almost everything s1n just said. I do think the Rebel Captive works as that doesn't have the range limitations although Mara can certainly hit more ships with stress. Adding Targeting Computers to the TIE Fighter is a waste of points. If nothing else the dirt low PS means targeting can be a big problem and the TL+F advantage is minimal. Vader may not deal [kaboom] results to his own ship but adding extra damage on your big, expensive, ship doesn't seem like a great idea.

This list is very erratic.

But I like erratic! :lol:

For me it's mostly about "how would the Imperials *really* fly?" instead of having a list attempting to smash through whatever list is the latest fad. I'm a thematic player more than a serious competitive player. It's just more fun for me. But as an added bonus it makes me a better player by seeing for myself what works and what doesn't.

That being said, I really do appreciate the critique :)

My Deci build

Oicunn (42)
Intimidation (2)
Anti Pursuit Laser (2)
Ysanne (4)
Dauntless (2)
4x Academy Ties (12 each)
Have the ties tail as best they can and finish off whoever gets rammed with the help of Intimidation.

I'd probably swap the 2 TCs and an Academy for either Dark Curse or Backstabber. TIEs already have enough actions to choose from without having a TL available.

You could also drop the Vader, the two TCs and upgrade an AP to Howlrunner and put a Tactical Jammer on Oicunn.

I was gonna suggest dropping the TCs on the academys and add Dauntless.. you want Oicunn to have an action. Vader crew is hard on a ship if used often, and on a ship people are possibly going to focus down on even worse.

But that said, try it and see what it does.. a large base ship and 4 TIEs can't be all bad..

I'd probably swap the 2 TCs and an Academy for either Dark Curse or Backstabber. TIEs already have enough actions to choose from without having a TL available.

You could also swap out the TCs to upgrade all of the TIEs to Obsidian Squadron Pilots. As an added bonus, it's thematic!

You could also swap out the TCs to upgrade all of the TIEs to Obsidian Squadron Pilots. As an added bonus, it's thematic!

That was a thought I had when I first saw it but the things to consider with that option:

1. Does nothing to address the named Decimator's loadout - namely Vader.

2. Flying PS 3s helps minimize the impact of your opponent's Predators.

3. Having PS 3 instead of PS 1 may hurt if you wanted to try using them with blocking strategies.

4. When you face aces PS 3 is almost identical to PS 1 except for a few specific cases.