WFR palyable without Core Set?

By petergarnett, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I got 3 vault boxes for Christmas (player, GM & creature) but as the core set is no longer available what would I need to make a playable game out of these boxes please?

Hm... what I think you have there is all the dice, cards and components from the core set and some more.

What you are missing are all the rulebooks.

I'm not sure, but you might also need the Adventurers Toolkit to make it component-complete.

Buy the Players Guide, GMs Guide and maybe the Creatures Guide.

These can perhaps be bought as physical hardcovers, but I would really reccomend just buying them as PDFs from drivethrurpg.com and use a pad to read them during play.

In addition, if you like the game and want the COMPLETE set of cards and components you will also need:

Signs Of Faith (rules for disease, Nurgle, and expanded priest rules)

Winds Of Magic (rules for corruption/mutation, Tzeentch and expanded wizard rules)

Omens Of War (rules for permanent injuries, Khorne and mounts)

Lure Of Power (rules for social rankings, Slaanesh and social combat)

Heroes Call (rules for epic-ranked characters and stuff like that)

In addition, there will be a few careers and cards in the published adventures. For example, "The Witches Song", I believe, contains the rules for the Witch and Warlock careers.

Edited by Ralzar

You can see the "complete components" list, off this page:

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=93&esem=4

And compare what you have with those boxes vs the core set - I think you have it covered. If you can get the Players Guide and GM Guide books they improve a bit on the rulebooks in the core set (clearing up some things) so that should cover you.

Main issue is likely to be dice, you got some with the GM box but probably will feel skimpy with just those. You can get the app for them as well.

Yes you also need the Adventurer's Toolkit to get Ratcatcher and other goodies as cards but the Players Guide book has the information. If you use Strange Eons you can "create your own cards" of things you have "information for but not card for".

Thanks for the fast responses. I see what I need to do now regard which books to buy.

I appear to have 7 types of dice - does that sound right?

Sounds right - blue, green, red, white, black, yellow, purple

Also check out online resources such as http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/wfrp-resources.html

Count Dimon's Rule Summary (v6) - the WFRP Reference Guide - is a great quick reminder of things.

Perfect- thanks

Just a quick heads up: FFG started to introduce a "cardless" version of the game with the Players Guide. In the players guide you have all cards and components printed inside so you can play it without the cards.

HOWEVER, this approach was never followed through for the expansions. So buying the PDF rulebooks for Signs of Faith, Winds Of Magic etc (that I listed in my last post) will not give you what you need to actually use those rules. You will need the physical boxes for these expansions.

Edited by Ralzar

Is there a reason that I can't print the cards out from the PDF?

There aren't any cards to print. The only PDFs for the expansions are just PDF versions of the books sold together with the physical cards.

A classy ffg would release those cards on pdf

Edited by Emirikol

I can send you all the cards in the game in jpeg format. Try the game, if you like it pm me and I will send you the cards.

I

I can send you all the cards in the game in jpeg format. Try the game, if you like it pm me and I will send you the cards.

I would personally LOVE a copy of that. Sent you a PM. :)