"Overcosted"

By voidreturn, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Why does everyone use this word? It's not a real word as cost is not an adjective, but everyone uses "overcosted" as such. They should be using the term overpriced.

Is this gamer slang or a non-English-ism?

Why does everyone use this word? It's not a real word as cost is not an adjective, but everyone uses "overcosted" as such. They should be using the term overpriced.

Is this gamer slang or a non-English-ism?

I've wondered that same thing myself. I think it is just gamerslang to be honest.

Maybe "overcost" is? :D

I've been properly accosted, but never overcosted.

When I'm overcosted I usually have to pay extra for that. . . . .Wait what are we talking about ? I'm thinking the massage parlor were you? :rolleyes:

It's a gaming term that, like so many, comes from Magic the Gathering. Each non-land magic card has a mana cost , and each card also has a price on the secondary market, something x-wing doesn't have. The strength of a Magic card is often tied to the ratio between the cards effect and its mana cost, and because overpriced usually referred to the cards secondary market value, players used the words overcosted and undercosted, referring to mana costs, to avoid confusion.

Another gamer slang that you will hear in x-wing that comes from Magic is metagame or meta. The true definition of that word is when information derived from outside of the game influences a players decision in the game. While Magic may not have been the first game that had players bringing their own customized forces to play with, it was the first game to bring that style of play to extremely high stakes tournament play, and it became important to know what the most popular strategies were and how to alter your deck to beat them, and players started referring to that process as the metagame.

Edited by Tvboy

It's a gaming term that, like so many, comes from Magic the Gathering. Each non-land magic card has a mana cost , and each card also has a price on the secondary market, something x-wing doesn't have. The strength of a Magic card is often tied to the ratio between the cards effect and its mana cost, and because overpriced usually referred to the cards secondary market value, players used the words overcosted and undercosted, referring to mana costs, to avoid confusion.

Another gamer slang that you will hear in x-wing that comes from Magic is metagame or meta. The true definition of that word is when information derived from outside of the game influences a players decision in the game. While Magic may not have been the first game that had players bringing their own customized forces to play with, it was the first game to bring that style of play to extremely high stakes tournament play, and it became important to know what the most popular strategies were and how to alter your deck to beat them, and players started referring to that process as the metagame.

Hmm, it's still not a word though. I've heard the term "meta" prior to Magic's use of it; I attended video game competitions in my youth and I heard it way back then before Magic was a thing.

Don't you mean overcoasted?

Gold-Coast-Queensland24.jpg

and players started referring to that process as the metagame.

Two things...

One, Richard Garfield started using the term for MtG back when he was playtesting it. He used it to refer to the game outside the game, and went into great length about it in the Pocket Guide he wrote. He used it to refer to the stuff people did outside the game, that affected the game.

Such as trading cards with other players, like offering one player a bunch of cards to refuse to trade with a 3rd player. Or things like discussing deck building and the like.

Two, the term actually started with the Military.

The word "meta" started with people like librarians- who use metadata to keep things organized and searchable.

And we use "overcosted" because "negative arbitrage value" is too technical. Also because "over priced" makes people think of money.

Actually, the current use of "meta" appears to have originated with latin philosopher's misunderstanding of Aristotle's title "metaphysics" - which just meant "the book right next to the physics one", but was interpreted and translated as "the science of the fabled things that go beyond mere physics" around 1200-ish :P

Haslo has the origin of it!

As a good Minnesotan, I just sa things are too spendy. ;)