Descent: Core Game - Quest 1 - Do I have enough Beast Men?

By lucimous, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I purchased Descent yesterday and started setting up for the first quest. I noticed that the setup requires 8 Beastmen, (7 regular, and 1 master.) Is the game supposed to come with more regular Beastmen? I have 6.

lucimous said:

I purchased Descent yesterday and started setting up for the first quest. I noticed that the setup requires 8 Beastmen, (7 regular, and 1 master.) Is the game supposed to come with more regular Beastmen? I have 6.

No you are fine, only comes with 6.

The theory behind it that the heroes will be killing monsters as they go, so the figures will become available again to place later. You reveal the map area by area, so not all the monsters you see on the map start the game on the board.

Great thank you very much!

As an overlord, one can never have enough Beastmen. :)

Beastmen Masters are incredibly useful, even if "on paper" they don't look like it.

jwdenzel said:

Beastmen Masters are incredibly useful, even if "on paper" they don't look like it.

They sure look like it "on paper" to me. Attack damage comparable to a master giant, plus they boost the damage and range of other monsters with Command? What part of this looks bad to you?

I remember that, when I first played Descent, I saw many Beastmen on the board so I thought they were the basic monsters, kind of cannon fooder for the overlord.

He attacks you. * roll the dice * 7 damage!

The treachery card Elite Beastman War Party is dreadful. 2 master beastmen boosting are nearby minions with +2 damage and +2 range.

Ezhaeu said:

I remember that, when I first played Descent, I saw many Beastmen on the board so I thought they were the basic monsters, kind of cannon fooder for the overlord.

He attacks you. * roll the dice * 7 damage!

The treachery card Elite Beastman War Party is dreadful. 2 master beastmen boosting are nearby minions with +2 damage and +2 range.

Try it in RTL with Gold (command 2) or Diamond (command 3) master beastmen. +4 or +6 range/damage with like 3-4 skeleys or a couple of hellhounds makes for a dead party.