Abhuman Character Guide

By LodgeBlackman99, in Rogue Trader House Rules

After much work and trial and error, the Abhuman Character Guide final draft has been posted and can be found here . I had some brief issues getting it out, some auto-flagging with google docs, but it's up and ready to go now and can be found at the link!

The guide includes rules for playing: Afriel Strain, Beastmen, Felinid, Longshanks, Neandor, Ogryn, Pelager, Ratling, Squat, and Troth.

I decided to go one step further and put in the Afriel Strain because of all the amazing help that aleandro01 has given me in the form of feedback and proofreading, hope it meets the expectations!

As always, if there are any questions, comments, balance concerns, or anything else, please feel free to contact me here on the forums, via email, or at the website. Hope you enjoy the guide!

Edited by LodgeBlackman99

A link would be nice.

I would love to, but as I said in the first post it was erroneously flagged when I uploaded it to Google Docs. I will post the link as soon as it has been reviewed and the flag removed. Until then, I'm happy to send it out via email to anyone who is interested!

Thanks to all those who have requested an email revision copy! The first round of updates has been finished, and I am now sending that out to those who request. Hopefully the guide will be allowed to be shared on Drive soon, and then you can download it for yourself. I've edited the first post to include the link for those wanting the location. A huge thanks to everyone for the continued support, I really appreciate it!

I wait to see it.

I can see the list of abhumans you have included though.

Technically, there are already rules for Ogryns and Rattlings found in Only War that can be lifted and ported without much issue, and some very fleshed out ones for both of those, as well as Squats, done by a former Dev in a document called Something Other than Human , but I'm curious to see what you came up with for the other new additions.

That's true, but I've always had balance issues porting between Only War (which I've found to be very high power) and previous systems. The problem with porting them over is that they become incredibly powerful when combining them with starting abilities of the Rogue Trader. Especially since there is nothing less than Unnatural Strength and Toughness (x2) for the Ogryn to properly mirror their abilities.

Something Other Human has the exact opposite problem in that their starting abilities are a tad weaker than the existing homeworlds, and the Squats are completely destroyed in terms of vital starship roles and social interaction, two major parts of the system. It also had some abilities that were clearly lifted from fantasy dwarves and I felt didn't mirror the 40k lore. The mechanical flaws were discovered when I played a Rogue Trader game using those rules as a basis once, it was a mechanically problematic experience. I did like where that creator was coming from by giving more options, so I gave that previous work a shout-out in this guide's subtitle.

Also, I just sent a second appeal through and hopefully it will be done in the next four days and the link will work. It's supposed to only take 4, so we're well past that at this point since it's been 14. I'm incredibly sorry for everyone who wants a copy and has been unable to get it, I'm still able to send copies via email to those interested.

At long last, the Abhuman Character Guide is available to download at the link presented above. Thanks to everyone for being so patient! I hope you enjoy the guide!

I've included one minor change in this version, as I mistakenly classified Ratlings as Size (Weedy) when they should be classified as Size (Scrawny).

There's nothing about Ogryns skipping Origin path.

a9e40220.jpg

Also only catgirls? What about this beauty. /Sarcasm

Edited by Cultadium

I need to watch that movie again.....

Cultadium: Just uploaded a revised version adding in the missing Creating Ogryn Characters Section. Thanks for the feedback!

Filliman: Agreed, it's been far too long since I last saw it myself.

I have begun a series of major revisions to the Abhuman Character Guide! It will probably be a long project as I'm completely rebuilding the guide from the ground up. I'm going to be adding in official lore clarifications and references, redoing the abilities of each abhuman race and toning many of them down, and adding in Nightsiders and Scalies as character options. I'll be changing the format up a bit too and am putting in a more streamlined and informative version of character creation. Additionally I'll be cleaning up images and typos as well, so if anyone has any comments from that front I'm always open to feedback. I'll keep updates coming here as work progresses.

Hello everyone, I've just completed a major update to the Abhuman Character Guide, which can be found here . The entire guide has a host of changes, including:

• Completely redone layout
  • Completely redone statistics for all Abhuman Races to be better balanced.
  • New Elite Advance for Abhumans
  • Correction of grammatical errors throughout guide
  • Cleaning up of images and cover page

I can't apologize enough for how unbalanced the first few revisions of the guide were. I've been playing Rogue Trader with a bunch of over-optimizers and my perception of what the Origin Path could do was a bit skewed. After making several full Rogue Trader teams for my games I've gotten much more practice and a much better idea of what it can do. Hope you all enjoy the new guide!

Edited by LodgeBlackman99

Relic bump.

Also, maybe make Felinids more catlike? So that it looks more like possible "rough world" mod?

S and T bonus, but also some trait like Fatigues Easily (like DH Feliraptor - "long" activity tests are vs. T/2 rather than T) and/or something like -

Short breath: when the character makes more than TB Strength-based tests in a row (without skipping rounds), must pass a T test (with modifier depending on S tests) or gain +1 Fatigue?

It seems that the website that hosted the link is no longer active is there another way to access the Abhuman Character Guide?

On 6/14/2020 at 3:39 AM, Papadwarf said:

It seems that the website that hosted the link is no longer active is there another way to access the Abhuman Character Guide?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2b-KRdbOmU5ak9MYjZGVjBqMTQ/view?usp=sharing