Bonuses for Parrying

By Euthan, in Only War Rules Questions

My current situation is that my Sergeant character in the game I run has become almost unhittable in close-combat due to her very high parry rolls. I know, she only gets one parry but the player has done very well at taking on solo combatants. I do not want to punish her for the excellent gameplay, but I want to make sure the bonuses are adding up correctly.

Opponent: a Hulking Mutant

Raw Weapon Skill: 50 WS

Using a Chainsword (balanced): +10 WS

Size (Hulking) Opponent: +10 WS

Veteran Comrade Order Ganging Up: +10 WS

Hatred(Mutants): +10 WS

So the questions I have about the bonuses I have are ...

Does the order to get the Ganging Up bonus apply for parrying? Does the Ganging up bonus using your Comrade persist for the entire round or would it end at the end of the turn (meaning it wouldn't be in effect for the use of the Reaction)? The Lasgun Volley BS specifically says it ends at the end of the turn, but no such indication for the Ganging Up. Would the size factor into the parrying? I think that is obviously wrong, it would only work for attacking, not parrying.

Hulking, Veteran Comrade and Hatred Mutants are solely bonuses to hit the mutant. They do not give a bonus to her Parry. Ganging up persists for all To Hit rolls as long as the comrade is assisting in melee.

Edit - Ganging up does not give bonuses to parry, either.

Edited by SgtLazarus

Thanks for the reply! The complications with that are ...

Hatred says you get +10 to all "Weapon Skill tests made against them"

Veteran Comrade grants Ganging Up with grants +10 WS, Ganging Up says "Weapon Skills tests are Ordinary (+10)"

None of these say "to hit" ... they both say Weapon Skill tests, which parry is one, right?

Size actually does say +/- TO HIT, so I think that should not factor into Parry.

I suppose rules as written you can interpret it that way.

Personally, I would not count Hatred nor Size as Parry bonuses. Channeling raw emotion into your blows won't make defensively striking the opponent's weapon any easier, and a larger weapon might be easier to hit but harder to move. Everything else flies in my book. With Ganging Up, the Comrade can distract the mutant and prevent him from executing an attack properly, call out the mutant's attack patterns for the Sergeant's benefit, or simply increase the Sergeant's morale (and, by extension, performance).

As an aside, if you're worried that your player is parrying too well/much, don't be afraid to challenge him/her. Throw in some Swift or Lightning Attacks that the Sergeant might not be able to completely block, or maybe she has bad footing and can't defend properly (a -10 environmental modifier, for example). If necessary, Flexible weapons can't be parried.

Hatred isn't simply swinging harder because you dislike whatever you're fighting. It can also be representative of being more familiar with that kind of foe, and having some tricks to use against them, of knowing their combat styles, etc - of having some specialized training or experience focused against that foe.

Veteran Comrade grants Ganging Up with grants +10 WS, Ganging Up says "Weapon Skills tests are Ordinary (+10)"

None of these say "to hit" ... they both say Weapon Skill tests, which parry is one, right?

Since parry is a skill it is not a ws-test, it is a skill-test.

Since parry is a skill it is not a ws-test, it is a skill-test.

Parry is a Skill that utilizes Weapon Skill as it's Characteristic. Parry tests are a subset of Weapon Skill Tests. In other words, all Parry Tests are by definition Weapon Skill Tests (with specific extra modifier sets), but not all Weapon Skill Tests are Parry Tests.