Any truth to the rumor that Disney will not renew FFG's Star Wars license?

By flightmaster101, in News

Heard this from my local hobby shop. It may just be his wishful thinking, but with imperial assault just released and me just getting into the RPG this rumor has me scared! I hope it just means FFG will lose exclusivity and not the right to produce.

Can anyone from FFG comment? Has anyone else heard this?

Heard nothing about this.

Even if Disney was considering not renewing the license, they wouldn't tell anyone. Unless your guy can point to his source i don't think it's anything to worry about.

only company that had the SW license wasn't renewed at the end of 2014 was with Dark Horse Comic, SW comics moved in-house to Marvel. It is highly unlikely they would pull it from FFG, not when it is making money and growing.

Only two thing I could see happening is X-wing/other SW FFG games become unpopular so they don't renew it or long term look to buy FFG and/or parent company but that may/could not happen due to monopoly laws.

Only two thing I could see happening is X-wing/other SW FFG games become unpopular so they don't renew it or long term look to buy FFG and/or parent company but that may/could not happen due to monopoly laws.

or disney wants so much money for the license it becomes unfeasible, see the wow boardgame.

Edited by Gray

Well now I'm scared. A buddy said he heard this on cbc radio last week and then they retracted a few hours later saying they did that by mistake.

The news story had said Disney was pulling all external licensing so they could have full control.

I thought he was just pulling my leg and told him April fools was yesterday.

This thread is the only thing I could find on the subject.

Well now I'm scared.

Don't be. FFG just announced a week or two ago that they had renewed the license and were planning on continuing to make Star Wars games for many years to come.

Well now I'm scared.

Don't be. FFG just announced a week or two ago that they had renewed the license and were planning on continuing to make Star Wars games for many years to come.

Can't find this on FFG or Google, do you have a link? I'd love to throw it in the game store lady's face!

Can't find this on FFG or Google, do you have a link? I'd love to throw it in the game store lady's face!

It was reported by Tom Vassal of "The Dice Tower" as having been announced at the GAMA trade show a couple weeks ago. He tweeted about it, I believe while sitting and listening to the presentation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedicetower/status/577926022261186560

It was reported by Tom Vassal of "The Dice Tower" as having been announced at the GAMA trade show a couple weeks ago. He tweeted about it, I believe while sitting and listening to the presentation. https://mobile.twitter.com/thedicetower/status/577926022261186560

Awesome! I got the feeling that lady had something against FFG.

Thanks!

On 2/20/2015 at 1:53 AM, BigNorthMxO said:

only company that had the SW license wasn't renewed at the end of 2014 was with Dark Horse Comic, SW comics moved in-house to Marvel. Videoder Tubemate Snaptube It is highly unlikely they would pull it from FFG, not when it is making money and growing.

Even if Disney was considering not renewing the license, they wouldn't tell anyone. Unless your guy can point to his source i don't think it's anything to worry about.

The news that Disney is pulling licenses may have to do with movies and TV series as they are bundling all Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, and Marvel productions into the new Disney streaming channel, Disney +. This wouldn't affect games at all. For example, Netflix is losing the ability to show Marvel movies on their channel as they do now.

Edited by David Spangler