RtL Lieutenant Encounters - Timing/Actions

By NigelTufnel, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

A couple of quick timing questions after our last session:

- If a party flees a dungeon and thus returns to Tamalir, may the party immediately attack a Lt. who is sieging Tamalir? The rules indicate the party may only encounter a Lt. if it ends its movement in the same space as the Lt., so we ruled that the party had to wait until the next turn (giving the OL another chance to siege or move the Lt.).

- If a party ends its movement in a city with a Lt., they may attack the Lt. However, may they take any actions (i.e., visit/train) in the city first?

- What about after completing the Lt. encounter? Do they still have a city action in the same turn?

- What if there are two Lts. in the city? May the party take a city action between the two encounters with the Lts.?

Thanks!

NigelTufnel said:

- If a party flees a dungeon and thus returns to Tamalir, may the party immediately attack a Lt. who is sieging Tamalir? The rules indicate the party may only encounter a Lt. if it ends its movement in the same space as the Lt., so we ruled that the party had to wait until the next turn (giving the OL another chance to siege or move the Lt.).

- If a party ends its movement in a city with a Lt., they may attack the Lt. However, may they take any actions (i.e., visit/train) in the city first?

- What about after completing the Lt. encounter? Do they still have a city action in the same turn?

- What if there are two Lts. in the city? May the party take a city action between the two encounters with the Lts.?

Thanks!

I don't have access to it at the moment to quote the parts, but each of those questions is answered in the FAQ. The pdf is readily available on the Descent page on the FFG main site.

NigelTufnel said:

Thanks!

If you flee, your turn is done. No attacking Lts. that turn. (per the faq)

If you are going to attack a Lt. any visiting must occur after the battles end (per the faq)

See above-you can visit the city after all battles are resolved. This includes Tamalir upgrades if it's the city in question. If there are multiple Lts. you can either encounter them both and then visit the city or encounter one and then go to town...but then you cannot encounter the second one. With two Lts., it may be an OL tactic to weaken you with the first then flee so if you encounter the second you go in with little to no wounds...which would be why you wouldn't want to encounter another one.

Keep in mind, if the OL scores a TPK with either Lt., your party action ends for that week. In THAT case, you cannot visit the town.

Thanks! I swear I checked there first--I just didn't see it completely buried on the last page (rather than in the 'Lieutenants' section, where I expected to find it).