Playing twilight cards - paying the costs for cards with a value of over 4.

By pralik, in Android

Okay I must be missing an obvious one here, hopefully someone can crack me on the head with the +3 Hammer of doh!!!

The rules state that the twilight cost of a card must be paid in order to play it. Given that there's 5 points on the twilight bar a cost of 4 will shift you from one side to the other. However, there are some twilight cards out there with a cost of 5 or even 6!!. I've had a look through all the cards and cannot find any modifiers for the characters with these high cost cards which would ever allow them to be able to afford it.

If anyone out there can shed light on this it would be much appreciated :D

You need to re-read the rules I'm afraid. There are 2 parts you've missed.

You can get a discount on cards played if it matches the current plot. You could instead increase its cost by 1.

You can get a discount on cards played for each card you discard at the time you play it.

Hope that helps.

Paul Grogan said:

You can get a discount on cards played if it matches the current plot. You could instead increase its cost by 1.

You can get a discount on cards played for each card you discard at the time you play it.

Hope that helps.

I was considering the modification rule as well, but that still wouldn't work for any card with a dark/light shift of 6.

What I've done to combat the 6 shift cards is instead of using the 5 spaces on the card as the only spaces available I've been using the two pictures on the end as additional spaces. (i.e. the "ideal" picture of Louis counts as fully light-shifted while the "at his lowest point" picture is fully dark-shifted). That way, if you're fully light shifted you can use a card and just move to the other picture. It's not too big of a deal.

causeitwasfunny said:

Paul Grogan said:

Hope that helps.

I was considering the modification rule as well, but that still wouldn't work for any card with a dark/light shift of 6.

What I've done to combat the 6 shift cards is instead of using the 5 spaces on the card as the only spaces available I've been using the two pictures on the end as additional spaces. (i.e. the "ideal" picture of Louis counts as fully light-shifted while the "at his lowest point" picture is fully dark-shifted). That way, if you're fully light shifted you can use a card and just move to the other picture. It's not too big of a deal.

That's not what should be done. The track really only has 5 spaces, for a maximum shift with the counter of 4. If you want to pay for cards of a higher value, you discard cards in your hand and get one extra shift point per card. This is gut-wrenching for me since you have to lose good cards to pay for better cards.

If the color of your card matches the current character plot of the character, then you can get +1 or -1 shift points. Why would you want to increase your shift cost? To set up a larger pendulum swing the other way next time.

You know what? You're absolutely right. We totally missed that in the rulebook. Thanks.

It's all about what you need at the time. The cards that require a shift of 4 or more are very powerful so the sacrifice is just as much, and I think that's fair.

To get to it, it is ideal to be completely shifted (either light/dark) and have an extra twilight card or so to discard. It help to have the same colour plot as that provides a +/- 1 discount. Louis also gets a discount depending on his mood.

Things to keep in mind if and when you decide to thump another player really good, or bad, depending on how you wanna look at it gran_risa.gif .

There are ways to reduce the cost of playing a card. That is the only way the cards in question can be played.

Eric