Knights and Kingsguard and Baratheon (oh my!)

By Paradiso, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Oh, Baratheon. I've loved you and Greyjoy since I first started this game. Sadly, my love for both you and the Ironmen has been largely unrequited. However, with the advent of LCG hope springs eternal. Digging through Baratheon I noticed the typical theme of power grab, and that's wonderful, but I also noticed a large number of knights. This lead to my current design which is, admittedly, a little lacking. I welcome any and all criticisms here.

Agenda - Kings of Summer

Plots (7)

• Tourney for the Hand
  • Summoning Season
  • Uneasy Truce/Fleeing to the Wall
  • Fury of the Stag
  • A Time for Ravens
  • Wildfire Assault
  • A Song of Summer

Characters (32)

• Arena Knight
  • Ser Arthur Dayne
  • Knight of Flowers
  • Ser Barristan Selmy
  • Ser Meryn Trant
  • King's Champion
  • Ser Davos Seaworth
  • Ser Axel Florent
  • Knight of the Rainwood
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Summer's Champion x3
  • Gilly
  • Devan Seaworth
  • Old Red Priest
  • Renly Baratheon
  • House Tyrell Guard
  • Bastard of Robert
  • Robert Baratheon
  • Stannis Baratheon
  • Selyse Baratheon
  • Edric Storm
  • Maester Cressen
  • Melisandre
  • Priestess of the Pyre
  • Banner for the Storm x3
  • House Florent Scouts x3

Attachments (9)

• Motley
  • Hunting Spear x2
  • Lightbringer
  • Bodyguard
  • Black Raven x2
  • Dawn
  • Martial Law

Locations (14)

• Street of Sisters
  • Great Hall
  • King Robert's Chambers
  • Crossroads
  • Aegon's Gardens x3
  • Stormlands Fiefdoms x2
  • Summer Port x2
  • Narrow Sea
  • Claw Isle
  • Kingswood Trail

Events (6)

• The Battle at the Wall
  • Retreat
  • To Be a Stag x2
  • Muster
  • Support for the Kingdom

Known Pros: Can still get the old Vigilant/Renown combo going. Plenty of resources.

Known Cons: Awkward to get rolling. Pretty much no draw means I can have a glut of gold and no cards in hand. Waiting for the Sword of the Morning to wreak bloody mayhem is an outside chance.

there are a lot of comments i want to make....but i have to refarin from some.

If your finding yourself with a lot of gold and nothing to spend it on...take a few gold locations out. You could replace them w/ another Kingswood trial ro too or a dupe or two of your uniques that your really want (psydeo draw as you will see that guy a wee bit sooner)

Edit. The quote code on these boards is insane.

Lars said:

If your finding yourself with a lot of gold and nothing to spend it on...take a few gold locations out. You could replace them w/ another Kingswood trial ro too or a dupe or two of your uniques that your really want (psydeo draw as you will see that guy a wee bit sooner)

I appreciate the thoughts. Thank you. But please spare me the "I have to refrain" part. That's entirely unnecessary.

I'm refraining because my comments aren't specific to your deck and would ahve been a geenral comment that you can find in the general dicussion forum with a slight amoutn of diggin. No offense was meant.

I would run three copies of Arena Knight. I fracking love that guy, even if others don't. Combo him with your Tourney of the Hand, and he's great with an Epic Battle to stand back up, grab some renown and unopposed. And, perhaps best of all, he fits your theme.

Paradiso said:

Lars said:

I appreciate the thoughts. Thank you. But please spare me the "I have to refrain" part. That's entirely unnecessary.

In case you're still confused... Lars was just alluding to his ongoing crusade in regards to the power the card Men With No King has over any deck that runs out-of-house or neutral characters and locations. Not making a commentary on your deck-building skills. :-)

I'm assuming you're also pretty much building on a one core set + one chapter pack cardpool? (Only card which I found 2 copies of, which comes in ones is To Be a Stag.) Which Selyse/Renly are you running?

If you're running both king and queen versions, I'd think that the big army wouldn't be a bad idea... Also Compelled by the Crown could work well when you have characters with hunting spears. Personally I'd have two martial law's, to have at least some way of shutting down lannisport brothels etc., although it can be a bit costly. Also desolate passage should work nicely with knights and hunting spears... one-on-one jousts fit the theme. :)

Have you had any problems of ending up with a hand full of chars, and not enough gold to play them, since you seem to have quite a lot of costly characters? (I had this problem with a similar bara -build, ended up losing all the cards due to intrigue challenges, because I couldn't play them fast enough) If so, then changing some chars for events might be useful.

Gotta say I love the knight-kingsguard theme. :)

just an fyi Martial law is very ineffective against lanisport brothel.

The kneeling of the brothel does not prevent its effect from happening since it happens in the standing phase, after the brothel has been stood.

Ah, good point, I seemed to have thought that it was a passive effect, similar to Fishwhiskers. In that case it isn't as useful against brothel etc, and shouldn't be run in too many copies, I guess. :)

Lars said:

I'm refraining because my comments aren't specific to your deck and would ahve been a geenral comment that you can find in the general dicussion forum with a slight amoutn of diggin. No offense was meant.

Then you have my sincerest apologies. It can be hard to read intent sometimes. I am curious though what your non-specific comments were going to be.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I had been rolling with the core Renly and Selyse, but going King and Queen might open up a few more doors (Selyse for recursion, Renly for the occasional draw). Compelled by the Crown is a stroke of genius for fitting the theme and forcing a joust. I love it.

Any thoughts on the Tower of Joy? I don't want to play the "I have fewer characters than you" card too hard here.

In my few playtests resources have actually been in abundance. Summer + the Summer Ports + all the regular resource drivers have often times left me with a glut of gold and not enough cards. I could see some bad scenarios though where I can't get people out fast enough and fall behind the curve. Hmm.

And you are correct that I'm mostly going with one of each chapter and the core set. I have picked up a few extra chapter packs here and there though and am not opposed to more, but having extra core sets just seems a bit silly to me. There are definitely some cards I'd like more copies of, but I'd hate to have a glut of others ones just kicking around.

the general comment would be in regard for my personal distrust of using/relying on so many nuetral characters at this point in time.