How does the flyer trait work

By Twillera, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I admit Im a wee be confused on how the flyer trait works. The rule book states that the flyer number describes the character or creature's flying movement, but im confused what that actually means. Which of the movement actions is the number replacing, or is it replacing the AB, or is the number simply the max number of meters you can move (Which doesn't make sense as most of the flyer traits are like under 6, which would be insanely slow). You can also charge and run while flying, so it seems the distance must change depending on what you do.

Please help, I need to know how to terribly terribly terribly murder my parties psyker for the sole reason that I think it will be funny. (JK. probably)

I understood it as characters can use the Flyer value as their AB when calculating movement. So if a character with Flyer (6) wants to Run (AB x 6), they can move up 36 meters during that "Run" action. Off the top of my head, anyway.

That was my first thought, but then I saw that the jump pack (IH) has jump 12, which is so high its not even on the rulebook chart.

That was my first thought, but then I saw that the jump pack (IH) has jump 12, which is so high its not even on the rulebook chart.

Thanks to the power of formulas, predicting how a Flyer (12) can move is relatively simple. Off the top of my head, Movement Rates are x1, x2, x3, and x6 for Half Moves, Full Moves, Charges, and Runs respectively. Therefore, a Flyer (12) could move up to 12/24/36/72 meters with the right action. You see?

Jump Packs convert energy to movement much more efficiently than most winged creatures, justifying its high Flyer trait. Birds and such need to spend energy on vertical movement as well as horizontal, so they don't quite reach the same speeds as Jump Packs that have powerful directional thrusts. Also, I would figure rocket boosters would be faster than wings anyway. This is just me rambling about why Flyer (12) is justified for Jump Packs while half-asleep.

Makes sense. Thanks!