Altdorf- How big?

By DrWorm73, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Looking at some of the great maps that Gitzman has archived on his site I find several of Altdorf, but the scales seem off. I would think that the walled portion of the capital of the Old World would be at lest a mile across but the maps don't seem to support this. Are there any other sources that give a good idea regarding the walled portion of Altdorf?

In one of my Supplement Books I could only find out that there are nearly 100,000 denizens and additional 5000 migrant worker. Maybe we have to measure it with a ruler? ;)

Edited by Lautrer

Okay, I did a little figuring. I decided to use Tudor London as my guide, as it was the city that I could find the easiest data on. According to Wikipedia (I know, but it was easy) in 1605 London had an in city population of 75k, and according to some extrapolation between this map (which has no scale) and this map which is roughly the same area, the city of London proper was about 780k square meters. That is really only about a mile wide at the water front, and about a half mile from Themes to the city wall.

So if Altdorf's population is about 100k it is actually not unreasonable that the maps that Gitzman has are accurate. This map has Altdorf at about a mile by two-thirds of a mile. I guess I am just bad at imagining size to population ratio.

Remember to check also The Altdorf Correspondent iAltdorf -map.

I think Altdorf map has been little - off - always. It should be much bigger and the map could have used official update years ago... Current The End Times -campaing second "episode" The Glottkin features new Altdorf map, but it's still little too small.

Edited by jackdays

I'll check the link you posted, but the historical data on population density at roughly the same tech level seems to show the maps are pretty accurate.

The iAltdorf is pretty good map, because it features pretty much EVERYTHING from Altdorf. Offcourse now some new stuff have appeared (Glottkin stuff). iAltdorf is also loyal to the original look, yet features few missing elements - like the Reiksport.

There is also one more Altdorf project going on. Gyldenstern is building his vision of Altdorf, which is pretty good looking too. I think that gives more - accurate - look of size. You can find that one here .

Edited by jackdays