Cybernetic Game-Mechanics "Limitations"

By MorbidDon, in Rogue Trader House Rules

In many popular RPGames, cybernetic implants cause "humanity loss", reducing your social traits and essentially making cyberware into a form of Body Horror. (Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Etc.) As with everything in the galaxy, this can come at a potential price, in Gelt and in the potential loss of self. Someone could easily go too far in attempting to be "more human than human."

Otherwise in terms of Game Balance (or Game Creep) nothing stops an Explorer from acquiring augmentation each game session - other than a GM who imposes restrictions due to availability, location, or other "story" based elements they wish to impose, which is fine but can become a stale "foil" and when PCs decide to "camp" in a setting with a vast populace and according better chances at availability - then the sky becomes the limit...

Presented herein are my House-rules which are derived from other game systems - with concrete rules in place the PCs now have the guidance needed in order for them to plot their course of cybernetic advancement in a 40k Universe without the GM's Hand being overly used.

The Balance - In this way a PC has to balance their inherent resources namely Fellowship & Willpower in exchange for abilities and "perks" which in most likelihood will be combat oriented, on top of that for those who wish to push the boundaries are presented with a way that costs heavily for those with the most to gain in terms of game setting advantages.

Cybernetics in 40k

From the loss of empathy & physical sensation to the susceptibility of haywire field and scrap-code effects, many risks exist in the fractured world of cybernetic procurement. Practical considerations such as an increase of weight to the sound and smell of converted parts all play a role towards the drawbacks of upgrading the flesh...

A character may install a number of cybernetic parts & addons up to their Toughness Bonus.

Once past that point – the recipient begins to suffer Biological Damage as they cross the divide between the machine and flesh…

Exceeding your Biology

If a character installs more cybernetic augmentations than this maximum total Tougnhness Bonus, he or she incurs a point of permanent of Critical Damage as the recipient now suffers a persistent condition that lasts until enough cybernetic implants are removed, via surgery, to place the character below this maximum total.

• +1 Point Critical Damage per Excess

Each part of the body can only hold a certain number of upgrades. A character only has a certain number of body slots: ( 7-Slots Total )

• Head Slots: 1
  • Arm Slots ( including hands ): 1 each
  • Torso Slots: 2
  • Leg Slots ( including feet ): 1 each

For each installed augmentation slot location overage a character can opt to reduce one of the following values;

CHOOSE ONE (Essence Cost)

Fellowship -%5

Willpower -%5

Upgrade Limitations

A character can install any number of cybernetics into any of the above bodily locations, but exceeding your maximum total number of implants per slot has detrimental effects… ( see below )

Cybernetic Formula (Summary)
Surpassing Your Biology…

By Body Location Fellowship or Willpower Loss
By Toughness Bonus Critical Wounds

Mechanicus Considerations

By default Explorators ( aka Mechnicus Members ) gain some of the following qualities below…

TALENT

The Flesh is Weak

Prerequisites: Mechanicus Implants

The Explorer’s body has undergone significant bionic replacement to the point where he is far more machine than man.

This Talent grants the Explorer the Machine Trait ( see page 365 ) with Armour Points equal to the number of times this Talent has been taken. The Explorer may purchase this Talent multiple times in accordance with his Career Advances. In this case, note the number of times this Talent has been taken, such as The Flesh is Weak 3.

TRAIT

Machine

A creature with the Machine Trait is fashioned from inorganic materials and is generally more rigorous than fleshy folks. Machines do not breathe, are immune to the effects of a vacuum, extremes of cold, any mind-influencing psychic effect, and their Armour Points apply toward fire damage. Machines are also resilient to injury, having 1 to 5 Armour Points for each location. This number is indicated next to the Trait.

Bionic Arm - LIMB

Cyberskull - Cranial Armour (Obvious or Synthetic) - HEAD

Interface Port (Datajack) – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Auger Arrays – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Augmented Senses - HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Baleful Eye - HEAD, LIMB

Bionic Heart - BODY

Bionic Leg - LIMB

Bionic Respiratory System - BODY

Calculus Logi Upgrade - HEAD

Cortex Implants - HEAD

Cybernetic Senses – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Manipulator Mechadendrite - BODY

Manufactured Muscle Grafts - LIMB

Medicae Mechadendrite - BODY

Memorance Implant – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Mind Impulse Unit (MIU) – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

MIU Weapon Interface – HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Optical Mechadendrite - BODY

Respiratory Filter Implant - BODY

Scribe-tines - LIMB

Smart Link - LIMB

Subskin Armor - BODY, LIMB

Utility Mechadendrite - BODY

Voidskin - BODY

Volitor Implant - HEAD

Vox Implant - HEAD, BODY, LIMBS

Edited by MorbidDon

Houserules UPDATED

- 7 Body Slots; if you go over a particular "slot location" remove -5% from either Fellowship or Willpower (players choice)

- Toughness Bonus; if you go over this value apply 1-Point of Critical Damage (not applied by the TABLE*)

* In essence this is to reduce your range of Critical Points from 1 - 10 to 2 - 10 as the flesh is replace by the cold inert systems.

For most PCs this will mean they can install on average of around 3 to 4 (Toughness is like 2d10+ 25) augmetics before a "cost" is applied - not counting body slot overages...

I am comfortable as a GM having PCs roll around the galaxy with that number of cybernetics - and if they desire more, well now the game is balanced to allow for that style of play - all in all I think I'm done touching these rules.

Again as in any of the Houserules I present, I am not trying to ruin or meddle with your 40k experience - these rules and my style of GMing isn't for everyone but for those who want to explore this avenue of thought I hope this post helps!

Stay GAMING!

Morbid

What about the people who replace 95%+ of their body with superior machine equivalents? Which is canonical to the setting?

I'm no expert in the setting's canon - what I could say as is done in many RPGs is that if you see or meet with the 95% converted person (what I would call a full-conversion borg, from Rifts) they are NPCs with drawbacks / complications derived from their heavy implantation...

Examples:

Maybe they (the NPC) has no ambition - thus the particular NPC maybe all 95% converted but doesnt do much with it game wise

Maybe they are built for a specific role/job - anything else is pointless to them

The point is the possible logic herein is as expansive as your imagination...

If/when splitting hairs, consider that my Homebrewed rules herein dont prevent a player from taking Mechanicus "the Flesh is Weak" Talent and in addition to gaining the Machine Trait - that in itself would plausibly meet your 95% conversion census requirement...

My point wasn't to remove the amount or frequency of "cyber" in the campaign but rather set in some firm guidelines that have a PRO vs. CON strategy associated to their acquisition for sake of game balance and repeat game play...

If there's nothing to prevent a power gamer - then it has been from experience; they will create the same "perfect" character each and every time - in this case they will choose to get the same cyber game in / game out since there's nothing preventing one from doing so.

On the other hand - how much repeat playablity does the system have before you are essentially playing the same thing again - many RPGs suffer from this when they are a bit streamlined and rules light - so to speak...

Again this may not be something for everyone - just for those who seek such a game mechanism

Otherwise thanks for the input

Stay Gaming

Morbid

P.S. I will be posting followup material in PDF format for those interested more in this concept (just finishing the fine tuning)