Maesters Tower clarification

By Daenarys, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Maesters Tower states the following :

Response : 'Kneel a learned character to copy a triggered effect that returns a character from your discard or dead pile to your hand, deck, shadows area or play'

Does the effect have to specifically return a character ? Would Dale Seaworth work even though it does not specifically state a character as the search mechanism ?

Thanks

Edited by Daenarys

Maester's Tower can only be triggered if the "return" effect actually returns a character to (wherever). But once triggered, you copy the effect as written, not necessarily as it played out.

So, Maester's Tower CAN copy Dale Seaworth's effect, but only if you return a character when you trigger Dale. However, when resolving the copied effect, you do not necessarily have to get a second character from your discard pile.

What if the card that triggered the effect was e.g. Black Magic Ritual?

Would I move one character into play and attach blood magic ritual, the kneel a learned character, pull another character out of play and attach BMR to that one instead

... I could do this whilst a Power of Blood plot card is revealed and bring back all my noble characters?

If I am triggering this to repeat Fiery Kiss - would all characters (moved from dead to play) get vigilant and be subject to being discarded at the end of the phase

Would I move one character into play and attach blood magic ritual, the kneel a learned character, pull another character out of play and attach BMR to that one instead

Yes, but if BMR leaves play, both characters are killed.

... I could do this whilst a Power of Blood plot card is revealed and bring back all my noble characters?

Having Power of Blood out would only matter when BMR leaves play, not when you are copying it and jumping it from character to character.

If I am triggering this to repeat Fiery Kiss - would all characters (moved from dead to play) get vigilant and be subject to being discarded at the end of the phase

Yes. You are copying the entire triggered effect, not just the part that returns the character from the dead or discard pile.

Thanks ktom

I was thinking the character gets killed when BRM gets removed, but of course it is when it leaves play ... not just moved around

So any character who is revived by this one copy of BMR gets a lasting effect for the whole game (of getting killed when BRM leaves play) ... I am assuming that if I have multiple copies of BMR in play they work independently?

I just need to make sure that I get rid of it whilst I have Power of Blood revealed

I am assuming that if I have multiple copies of BMR in play they work independently?

Not necessarily.

When you trigger the Response on BMR, the card refers to itself by name. That makes it self-referential, and it therefore works independently of any other copies of BMR that are in play.

But when you copy BMR with Maester's Tower, the reference to BMR in the resolving text is no longer self-referential. That means that any card named "Blood Magic Ritual" will meet the restrictions on the lasting effect created by the copied effect. So if you have multiples are in play, any character you got back by triggering Maester's Tower to "re-use" BMR will be killed when any copy of BMR leaves play (whether you control it or not in those Targ mirror matches, btw) - each time a copy of BMR leaves play, I might add (assuming it survives the first leaving play).

The characters returned by BMR itself will be continue to be tied to the exact copy that brought it back, though.

This, btw, is why there are so few "copy" effects in the game.

that does get complicated!

so the copy character is very vulnerable to any BMR leaving play, whereas the original character is only vulnerable to the actual original BMR card leaving play ... which happens to be attached to the copied character (I presume)

I would definitely need to put counters on the characters to keep track of that

I'm assuming that at the point all copies of BMR leave play, assuming my characters cannot be killed (or are saved), those characters then become safe, even if further copies of BMR come into and then leave play

I'm assuming that at the point all copies of BMR leave play, assuming my characters cannot be killed (or are saved), those characters then become safe, even if further copies of BMR come into and then leave play

Again, it depends. The character brought back by an actual BMR would be safe (because that BMR cannot leave play again), but the character brought back by a copied BMR is going to continue to be killed when any BMR leaves play, whether it was in play before the character or not.