Look Not Upon the Wytch

By Cogniczar, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Really great work! I think I will use this for my campaign as well. I like the psykers but they are so limited in the original ruleset :) Playing a Only War campaign with some friends.

How is the work progressing? Any dates for more stuff? :D

looking forward to whatever else you can give us!

Hey Cognizar!

Do you have some news for us?

How do you fare? :)

Fling psychic power.

Isn't me or it's possible to obtain something like too much damage with this one?

If in need for ideas to cryomancy powers, feel free to use the ones I introduced in the 2.1 update for Advanced Dark Heresy as a base... There is also some fluff available as written by me about motivations and ways of interacting through powers. these powers should have some characterictic in them instead of usually presented renamed versions of pyromancy powers. Note: when trying to comprehend the full effects of the ADH versions of cryomancy powers one also needs to see Rewritten rules for Cold Damage and Critical Hit tables for Cold Damage.

Whats the distance that fling is supposed to well... fling a target?

Daemonology chapter is being worked on now. You can track my progress here

Right now it's just a layout of the potential power schema. In a few days the chapter should be done. Project Officially resumed!

Cogniczar, you are truly an EmperorĀ“s Blessing for us starved for more Dark Heresy content. :wub:

Are you going to use new stuff from Enemies Beyond, namely Astropath Elite Advance and spliting the Daemonology between Sanctic and Malefic?

Got some of the minor powers done for review, starting the Malefic path of Daemonology now. Should start to see early drafts appear randomly.

I am splitting it, but alas, I have to wait for Enemies Beyond to be on a PDF format before I can see how they did the Astropath in comparison to my way. From what I can tell, it looks vaguely similar from a screen shot

Actually, just got the first half of Malefic Daemonology powers up for review. have at it and critique!

There is interesting stuff, I'll go into details soon enough!

My comments:

-Why is cursed earth a psyniscience test?

-Isn't summoning too easy? I know that this is 5 turns, but on the other hand, it shouldn't be fast since it is more like a ritual than a psychic power

-Maybe I don't understand allright but...isn't sacrifice harder to make the more a characther has psy-rating? Since you lose psy-rating wounds making it, it would be better to better to have a lowest psy rating to be sure to not die or wound self too much by sacrificing too much? Maybe it could be like a willpower -60 test, with +10 for every 10-PR wounds you sacrifice (so the stronger you are, the less you sacrifice), minimum 1 wound.

-Possession: Couldn't this ritual also be made against an non-willing target?

Generally speaking, I like what this new psychic discipline gives.

It crosses more the path between sorcery and psychic powers.

I think it could be nice to have something like maledictions, blood runes and such, but essentially, it's very cool.

Otherwise, what do you plan for sorcery?

It was always something I liked about 40k that there is psykers but also rituals and sorcery, but I don't know if it's really necessary to have sorcery in DH2 since the new psychic system uses more than just psy-rating for test, what do you think about this?

My comments:

-Why is cursed earth a psyniscience test?

Because it's based on the idea of the psyker detecting a small tear in the warp to rent open the void into the materium. =D

-Isn't summoning too easy? I know that this is 5 turns, but on the other hand, it shouldn't be fast since it is more like a ritual than a psychic power

It is easy. You need to also take into account the Daemonic Mastery Tests that have to follow, if at all, that immediately proceeds the summoning. Those are definitely not easy especially since Weaken Veil and Cursed Earth both give the daemons that enter boons.

-Maybe I don't understand allright but...isn't sacrifice harder to make the more a characther has psy-rating? Since you lose psy-rating wounds making it, it would be better to better to have a lowest psy rating to be sure to not die or wound self too much by sacrificing too much? Maybe it could be like a willpower -60 test, with +10 for every 10-PR wounds you sacrifice (so the stronger you are, the less you sacrifice), minimum 1 wound.

Look Not Upon the Wytch is based on a modified psychic system from Only War. Lowering the Psy Rating for manifesting the power would make the power much harder to cast. Fundamentally I prefer this system over the current DH2 edition version.

Possession: Couldn't this ritual also be made against an non-willing target?

I'd so no, until we see sorcery detailed later on. =D

Generally speaking, I like what this new psychic discipline gives.

It crosses more the path between sorcery and psychic powers.

I think it could be nice to have something like maledictions, blood runes and such, but essentially, it's very cool.

Otherwise, what do you plan for sorcery?

It was always something I liked about 40k that there is psykers but also rituals and sorcery, but I don't know if it's really necessary to have sorcery in DH2 since the new psychic system uses more than just psy-rating for test, what do you think about this?

Sorcery will be detailed in a separate section.

Thanks again for the comments!

Look Not Upon the Wytch is based on a modified psychic system from Only War. Lowering the Psy Rating for manifesting the power would make the power much harder to cast. Fundamentally I prefer this system over the current DH2 edition version.

I'm not sure if I understood your comment well, could you elaborate?

I'd so no, until we see sorcery detailed later on. =D

Yeah!

It is easy. You need to also take into account the Daemonic Mastery Tests that have to follow, if at all, that immediately proceeds the summoning. Those are definitely not easy especially since Weaken Veil and Cursed Earth both give the daemons that enter boons.

Very good point.

In the case of multiple daemons appearing, can you daemonic mastery them all in the same turn? Otherwise, it is sure you get killed, no?

I'm not sure if I understood your comment well, could you elaborate?

The psychic system that this supplement is primarily based on is the older Only War one, with some tweaks. Which means you get a +5 to focus power tests per Psy Rating, not by dropping Psy Rating less than what you possess. See chapter 1 of the supplement for those augmented rules.

Very good point.

In the case of multiple daemons appearing, can you daemonic mastery them all in the same turn? Otherwise, it is sure you get killed, no?

Is is pretty much guaranteed unless you resort to some sorceries (detailed later) with cultists, or prepare chaos rituals to entrap them with wardings and what not. But summoning them into the plane of existence is easy. So if a Daemonologist is pressed against the wall he can always resort to some lethal back up. hehehe

The psychic system that this supplement is primarily based on is the older Only War one, with some tweaks. Which means you get a +5 to focus power tests per Psy Rating, not by dropping Psy Rating less than what you possess. See chapter 1 of the supplement for those augmented rules.

You see, I was pretty sure it was the case and my fellow player argued that this wasn't the case.

Doesn't this put all the psychic powers to be too easy to activate or am I missing something?

I designed most of the powers to be cross-compatible, but when using the supplement system there's also table 1-3 with situation modifiers that also apply that can drop the effectiveness of manifesting powers. However, considering that so far only one power seems to stick out as having issues (Sacrifice), I'll look into re-writing it's mechanics to work in either system. Next update should be on friday

Super! Because I spoke with him and he argued that he was strong enough already, and He thought that +5% per psy rating would be too much.

He gave myself the exemple of a very strong power (Psy-rating 8 and -50 to the test), and said, with that, and my actual willpower, I would have 52% of making it (which is is base willpower).

Be cause he have the psy focus, the +40 for Psy rating 8, 52willpower and -50 to the test.

And the effects of the power are very strong...but still... allright with the power level, but maybe not at 52% chance.

Otherwise, nothing else to say, just food for thoughts, if you make it cross compatible in both ways, I'll just be happier!

Yay! More super-awsome stuff :D Really looking forward to more sweetness :) We switched over and started using these psyker rules in our only war campaign and our Psyker is really happy :)

One thing that we have discussed a lot is when you use e.g. a psykic bolt, do you get any positive/negative modifiers for range, surprised, prone, large/small and so on? Or is that the benefit/disadvantage of the psykic powers, that you don't get any bonus at all?

I always went with the modifiers myself. I also included modifiers for other things in chapter 1. =D

You see, we never used those modifiers, it was always, in my mind, an advantage/disavantage of the psyker.

News update: I've decided to move all the content of my Look Not upon the Wytch supplement to the new site I just launched at www.rollforheresy.net. All future updates will be taking place there after I've taken the time to transfer all the previous entries along the way.

Well, this new site is so awesome. I'll write to you in private.

How far can fling the it's target(both on the vertical or the horizontal)?

I must say I really like that each discipline has its own Perils, altough I wouldnt bind them to the Discipline Mastery talent. Even if not using the whole supplement, I think about using them at the very least. Variety of bad things happening (everybody loves Critical Damage Charts) is one of the funniest things in whole 40kRPG