Price increase

By felkor, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I've seen a couple people mention that they've seen prices go up for this game, and today I saw this message from the store I have it pre-ordered from, Meeplemart:

-----------
Fantasy Flight Games has announced a price increase of Star Wars: Imperial Assault. We have not received our final price yet, (especially with the Canadian dollar looking worse everyday)...
Meeplemart price should now be around $84.95 but we will not know for sure until it arrives.
As per our Pre-Order policy; final price is subject to change, so those of you who have pre-ordered a copy now have the option of cancelling your pre-order or paying the difference when it arrives. Those of you who Pre-Ordered it on Black Friday will have the option of paying the difference of $84.95 - 12% or cancelling your Pre-Order.
-------------
Edited by felkor

Interesting and disturbing. The price has gone up at CoolStuffInc, but not notification about adjusting my pre-order. Their policy is worded vaguely about whether there's a price guarantee, just what there isn't a guarantee on. Only a $7 price difference though.

I also pre-ordered all the expansions from Meeplemart as well; I jumped on it because their Black Friday prices were so good (paid less than $9 CAD for General Weiss/AT-ST), and now I'm worried I'll see those prices jump as well.

I am actually more curious as to what caused the price increases?

Actual manufacturing cost increases?

Inaccurate original estimates of their costs?

External factors such as shipping costs / port costs / delays / etc.?

Asmodee take over & realignment of costs to fit their model?

All the CSI costs on the packs have increased since my preorder as well.

What is Meeplemart? Is that Miniature Market?

What is Meeplemart? Is that Miniature Market?

http://www.meeplemart.com

More like the Canadian equivalent to Miniature Market. Sells just about all the same stuff, and is often about the cheapest place to get it in the country.

Okay, thanks.

Not to overtly pimp the store, but it is pretty amazing. That's where I got my Batman: The Miniature Game minis...not just because they're cheap there, but because it's such a pain to find them anywhere else in Canada.

Agreed. They used to have a bit of a customer service issue, but they've hired a couple new people over the last year or so and now between service, prices, and selection, they are about the best store for miniatures and board/card games in the country.

Store owners have reported that due to Licensing restrictions, FFG was unable to do direct sales of Imperial Assault and that all retailers now have to order it via a distributor. This would indicate why there was a price increase as there would be an "extra middle man" so to speak. It's not a huge price increase so I am not too bent out of shape over it.

I was told the release was slightly delayed (was supposed to be out by now) and that the price to stores was increased by $5 had something to do with Disney being involved. Who knows if it's true, but it seems at least plausable.

I was also told that even though the price was increased to stores, they are not changing the MSRP to customers since it was announced an has been known for such a lont time. Won't really affect most online sites since they can just decrease the discolunt to make up the difference, but it will be a little worse for LGSs.