Understanding the cards with Limited on them

By Starshadow, in Rules Questions

Hi there, I'm new to playing this game and card games in general. I'm a little confused about the cards that have Limited written on them. The rules state you can only have one in play. I was playing with the Targaryen deck and one of the cards with Limited on it said to discard after playing it but another card didn't state that.

So what I don't understand is if I have a Limited card in play and it doesn't state to discard it, how do I put another Limited card into play? Or is it as simple as once you play a Limited card it is then automatically discarded? Or do I discard it when I want to put another Limited card into play to replace it?

What about duplicates of the same Limited card? Can you put them underneath the other one in play as a duplicate like you can do for Characters?

Another question, is there a limit to how many cards you can have in your hand? The rules state at start up to have 7. Do you need to stay at 7 and discard any extras? Or is that just for start up?

Thank you!!!

It's worth noting that you have found the rules board for the second edition of the game -- which has not been released yet. So all the following answers apply the first edition rules:

You may want to check the wording in the rules again. They do not say that you can only have 1 card with the "Limited" keyword in play. They say that you can only play 1 card with the "Limited" keyword each round. Once you play them, they are like any other card of that type. "Limited" cards do not discard themselves automatically, nor do you have to discard one in order to play another.

Which Targaryen card are you looking at that has the Limited keyword and says to discard it after you play it? I can't think of any card that does that.

Multiple copies of the same limited card simply means that you cannot play them in the same round. You can have multiples in play at the same time, though (assuming you played them in different rounds). You can only apply the "duplicate" rules to unique cards.

There is no rule setting a maximum hand size. The 7-cards is just for the setup hand.

Thanks for responding, yes my mistake I have 1st edition. The cards I was referring to are as follows:

Eastern Fiefdoms says "Limited. Marshalling: Kneel E. Fiefdoms to lower the cost of the next Targaryen card you play this phase by 1." I already had this one in play when I drew the following card on the next round.

Great Pyramid says "Limited. Marshalling: Kneel to lower the cost of the next Targaryen character you play this phase by 2."

Summer Sea is the one I thought said limited but just noticed it doesn't. This is the one that says to discard after playing it. So my own confusion.

And lastly, Temple of the Graces says "Limited".

So I thought since I already had E. Fiefdoms in play I couldn't play Great Pyramid or Temple of the Graces b/c they are both Limited. I just re-read page 20 of the instructions and see it says per round. I missed that part.

Thanks for pointing that out. That makes sense now.