Couple ideas concerning Starbane's deck

By Commediante, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

Hi!

I was thinking that 3x Eldar Refugees are good alternative to any combination of Rogue Trader and Void Pirate. One Refugee costs and does the same as Rogue Trader and Void Pirate combined, being one card less. This means that it's easier to move it between the planets (with Mobility card) or to your hand (with Craftworld Portal card). Besides this spares you place for three cards.

My deck is work in progress so I'm going to post here from time to time. What do you think of Eldar?

I think it's a good idea to include them. Perhaps you'll include them besides your Trader and Pirate.

For sure the Eldar are one of the factions who is on the stronger side of the factions winning the command struggles. In my experience most factions also prefer the Void Pirate over the Rogue Trader in their constructed deck. Mainly because most factions have the options to "cheat" with resources but don't have a giant form of drawing out cards.

As Eldar is one of the factions who likes to play into the late game you'll also like a full grip of cards to work with. The way you combat multiple small units is with the use of shields and knocking away at Warlords and bigger Army units. What they lack in token generators they make up in your typical "control" cards as Alaitoc Shrine, Foresight, Superiority, Nullify, Doom, Gift of Isha and Craftworld Gate.

Personally I think Eldar Refugees are great to be played as one of your last units, much like the Trader and Pirate. When you are able to do this you'll be able to find an open planet and win a maximum ammount of resources or force your opponent to deploy his hero against it (which should win you another command struggle elsewhere). I also think that they are best played on the 3rd to 5th 1-0 or 0-1 planet as they are less interesting to deploy on in the early stages of the game. Here you'll also see that your opponent might allow you to win that command struggle without trying to much.

The best thing of the Eldar Refugees are for sure their benifits gained when you win the command struggle, the other huge advantage they have is that they are 0/2 and not 0/1 like the Trader and Pirate. This means you'll have a better card to work with against Sicarus's Chosen, which is one of the cards who makes Space Marines so well equiped right now.

Looking forward to your deck. If Calamity is not in your collection yet be sure to check out the Dark Eldar cards aswell, they have much more tools better equiped for early game combat, better as Eldar imho.