Recovering strain

By Yepesnopes, in General Discussion

In the Edge of the Empire core rule book, page 220, under the Recovering from strain heading one can read the following:

" It is also rumored that some Jedi have mastered a technique that allows them to ignore the effects of strain, or ease the minds of others to help them recover more quickly. "

The same sentence is found in the Age of Rebellion core rule book in page 233 and in the Force and Destiny book.

We have talents like Contingency Plan or Intense Presence and Resolve which may account for the first part of the sentence, but these are not Jedi only talents and are available already in EotE and AoR non-Jedi careers.

As for the second half of the sentence, well, the closest we have is one of the Control upgrades of the the Heal power which adds the possibility to heal Strain at the same time it heals wounds.

I thought we would see something related to this sentence in F&D, but it seems it fell out of their plans. May be it will be included in future supplements as a new Force Talent, Force power or signature ability...

Have any of you reported this as part of the beta test? Thoughts?

Might be good to send this question to the feedback email.

See the Heal/Harm power, with a Control Upgrade to allow the subject to recover strain in addition to wounds.

Given how rare the ability to heal with the Force generally is, I'd say that covers "rumored technique" pretty well.

Or simply the fact that a Jedi is going to have a high Willpower and higher Discipline, thus giving them a better chance to recover their personal strain at the end of an encounter. If I'm rolling 3 yellows and a green (Willpower 3, Discipline 4), then my PC has a pretty good chance of recouping a substantial amount of strain once the fight's over.

Or simply the fact that a Jedi is going to have a high Willpower and higher Discipline, thus giving them a better chance to recover their personal strain at the end of an encounter. If I'm rolling 3 yellows and a green (Willpower 3, Discipline 4), then my PC has a pretty good chance of recouping a substantial amount of strain once the fight's over.

That is very idle! :)

I submitted the question to beta test feedback.

What about the "Balance" talent, as seen in Force Sensitive Exile and FS Emergent?

What about the "Balance" talent, as seen in Force Sensitive Exile and FS Emergent?

It allows to recover strain, but does not allow to "ignore" neither to help other to "easen their minds"

It allows to recover strain, but does not allow to "ignore" neither to help other to "easen their minds"

I wonder if you're reading those phrases much too literally?

In EotE and AoR, both books are centered around mundane characters, with Jedi being figures of lore by the time the games are officially set (shortly after the Battle of Yavin but well before the Battle of Hoth). There's probably all sorts of "spooky abilities" that are attributed to the Jedi, along with stories of them being baby-snatchers, being the true architects of the Clone Wars in a bid to seize power, that they can all shoot bolts of lightning from their fingers, or completely bend a person's mind to make someone their eternally devoted servant. Think along the lines of the Salem Witch Trials and what "witches" were perceived/accused of being able to do. It'd be no small matter for a story about someone seeing a Jedi use Heal/Harm to help a person recover from severe physical and psychological trauma to get exaggerated into "all Jedi have the ability to ease the minds of others and prevent psychological trauma from occurring in the first place!" It's the telephone game taken to a galactic scale.

Or, it could just be something that's handled as a Signature Ability in a later sourcebook rather than something addressed in the core rulebook, perhaps attached to the Consular career?

I like that this game gives you the means of playing a (pretty powerful) Force user during the Galactic Civil War, but still maintains a sense of mystery about true "Jedi." They are still, even in this game, surrounded by myth and legend, rumored to have all kinds of powers. So while a PC can emulate a Jedi, there's still this sense of them being just out of reach, as a story point.

Liked a lot your interpretation awayputurwpn. Sems that you can arrive to achieve something close to a Jedi like Kanan or maybe Luke but probably the "full Jedi" would be (or would be great) that be the Signature Sbility or an expansion on the Force. Why not :)

it's quite possible that a lot of the "true Jedi abilities" may be tucked away in Signature Abilities. It would actually be a good way to provide players a means to access said abilities without making them too easy to acquire the way a specialization or Force power would.

In EotE and AoR, both books are centered around mundane characters, with Jedi being figures of lore by the time the games are officially set (shortly after the Battle of Yavin but well before the Battle of Hoth).

Or, it could just be something that's handled as a Signature Ability in a later sourcebook rather than something addressed in the core rulebook, perhaps attached to the Consular career?

Don't misunderstand me, I don't really care if this gets ever implemented in the rules or not, but it rised my curiosity from the beginning and I was expecting to find something related to it in F&D.

In EotE and AoR, both books are centered around mundane characters, with Jedi being figures of lore by the time the games are officially set (shortly after the Battle of Yavin but well before the Battle of Hoth).

This very same sentence appears in the Force and Destiny beta core rule book.

Well, a large chunk of the text in the skill, combat, and vehicle chapters are pretty much a cut and paste jobs from the prior books, so again I wouldn't read too much into it. To say nothing of the fact that the book is fairly clear/adamant that the PCs are not Jedi, but instead are simply Force users that might have a few disparate bits of Jedi lore, particularly those PCs that have one of the Lightsaber Form specs.

Hi people! Based on this descriptions...

"While many Force-sensitive individuals
have trained to be Warriors, those who have
chosen this path may be further classified into ones
who are particularly adept at lightsaber combat and
ones who specialize in using a starfighter..."

this

"In a Force and Destiny campaign, many different
characters, from lightsaber-wielding warriors and
would-be Jedi to cunning shamans and intuitive pilots,
all work together to learn to master their unique
abilities and, in the process, struggle with their own
personal choices between good and evil.
"

and

"The Consular focuses on the goal of achieving peace
and harmony through positive discourse. They believe
that it is always more effective to have an intelligent
discussion about a problem and then solve it through
negotiations and other peaceful means than to engage
in conflict to solve it. Followers of this career are not
Jedi Consulars of the now-fallen Republic, but they do
embrace some of the same philosophies and practices"

So... no full-Jedi yet. Maybe the supplement or the Signature, but remember that the entire game is focused on Rebelion Era so, probably Kenobi and Yoda are exceptions and this Carieers and Specializations are focused on people like Luke (Ep IV and V) or Kanan (not Ezra yet). Just people with a refined instead an intuitive Force training) and some of them even with lightsaber skills from the old Jedi Order.

Edited by Josep Maria

Ah! I see what you mean now. Indeed, force users but not Jedi or Sith or any other order.

I am apeased now. Good job guys!