How are the expansions actually used with the BoW core set?

By FS1976, in Battles of Westeros

Hi, people.

With christmas coming up and still 'only' owning the core set, I could really use some info on the use of expansions - just in case I want Santa to bring me one or two ;)

Here goes.

I've been looking at the Tribes of the Vale and Lords of the River expansions, but:

1. I can't figure out HOW these new units are included in a regular (not skirmish) BoW game? Can they be included in any of the core scenarios? And how?

2. If I only buy ONE of the expansions above, would there be some sort of unbalance in a regular game of BoW since only one house would have new allies?

3. If I buy BOTH expansions above - are there any regular scenarios (again: not skirmish) that include the allies for both houses?

As you can see I have NO idea how these expansions work with the core game, so any basic info on them and how they are used without the skirmish rules are most welcome!

Thanks a bunch

- FS

Hi FS1976 ,

1. The rulebook for each of the expansions of BoW contains new scenarios, that include the new units, commanders, etc. I believe the "small expansions" (meaning not the Baratheon army expansion) each have 3 new scenarios, with the exception of Brotherhood without Banners (I am pretty sure there were at least 4 or 5 new scenarios there). As for the core scenarios - I haven't came across "official" way to implement the new units to the core scenarios, but that, of course, is up to you - you can substitute units any way you wish, but it will most probably hurt the balance. So, with Lords of the River and Tribes of the Vale, you will get 6 new scenarios total to play with :)

2. Usually the scenarios in the small expansions run only with vanilla BoW + the units/commanders/etc. from the particular expansion. Ergo - you will have everything you need to play Lords of the River expansion scenarios with just BoW core + LotR. Again, the exceptions are the Brotherhood without Banners and Baratheon army expansions, where you can find scenarios that require units and commanders from multiple expansions.

3. I am not 100% sure, but if I remember right - no. I can answer with certainty a bit later, when I go home and check the rulebooks, but I think all 2x3 new scenarios play only with BoW core + the particular expansion.

edit: probably the reason for your confusion is the fact that the new scenarios that are included in the hardcopy rulebooks coming with each expansion are not inlcluded in the electronic rulebooks that can be found on the support page for BoW. Why the battle scenarios are ommited I can not tell :unsure:

Edited by Ordo Malleus

Scenarios were omitted - I guess - to avoid people downloading and using them with proxies instead of getting the expansion. In the same way Scenarios for Descent or Mansions are not included in the digital version of the guides.

As for n.3, I don't remember a Scenario using both the two small expansions. Possibly they got mixes in some Baratheon Scenarios, but I can't check now, sorry

Thanks for responses so far. They have already been helpful :)

Another question relating to the above:

4. If I play with the skirmish rules, is it at all possible to play a 'Tribes of the Vale' vs. 'Lords of the River' skirmish game without any Starks/Lannisters - or are the new units only made for supporting the core game forces?

Not officially but you could probably house rule it. The only major hurdle I can think of off the top of my head is the non commander order deck. Neither of those expansions have one.

But I would just use the non-commander order cards from the core game? I would use everything from the core game except the Lannister and Stark units (and therefore not their commander-specific order cards).

Anyone tried that?