Black Crusade stuff to convert to WFRP Chaos Wastes?

By Ralzar, in Black Crusade

Hi. Peeking over from the WFRP forums to get some tips from you experienced chaos-players.

I have been running a game for the last years where my players are playing chaos-worshipping norscans. The party is currently a Tzeentch-worshipping Jarl with bird wings and lizard feet, a Skald with a grotesque face and a Slaanesh-worshipping Seer.

Last session they had a huge fight by a tzeentch altar. With some crazy miscasts from the beastman shaman who was siphoning power from the altar, everything went belly up and the party and many of their followers were portaled to some unspecified place in the chaos wastes.

So, the current situation is an aspiring champion (the jarl), his two advisors and a bunch of marauders and beastmen who follow him are stuck in the wastes whith no particular goal, other than survival and maybe getting back to norsca.

WFRP hasn't given me too much to work with when it comes to the chaos wastes, but I suspect Black Crusade is basically the WF40K version of what I am running. Many chaos-warped planets could probably just as well be locations in the chaos wastes. So I figured there were probably source books or even complete adventures for Black Crusade that could be quite easily converted to WFRP whitout much hassle.

So, anyone have any suggestions for Black Crusade books I should take a look at for inspiration or to convert for my game?

Edited by Ralzar

Eh, if you are running 3rd Ed. WHFRP, I'm afraid it'd probably be pretty hard to actually convert anything rules-wise. And if you're just looking for inspiration, I'd honestly recommend *all* the books. The fluff sometimes get a bit one-dimensional, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that is in Fantasy these days (where the forces of order and chaos are (were?) often left more ambigious).

My immediate thought is to take the Planet of Q'Sal and transpose the major cities/hives onto the wastes. Could definitely work. Imagine finding a well-ordered by twisted city of crystalline towers in the middle of the Chaos Wastes, beacons of deranged civilization, dedicated to Tzeentch.

The Flaming Tomb could be very interesting if turned into a sprawling valley, like a massive, open volcano, inhabited by refugees, strange daemons and possibly with something (or someone?) impossibly powerful buried beneath it.

I like the basis of the Temple of Lies adventure in Black Crusade Core Rulebook. Might also fit equally well in.

This all reminds me of how much I actually prefer Fantasy over 40k. 2nd Edition really needs a worthy successor.

Yeah, I'm not interested in converting the actual Black Crusade rules. WFRP3 has its own corruption and mutations rules for me to use anyway. And converting characters is pointless since I would hve to make fantasy versions of them anyway. WFRP has some pretty easy ways of generating NPCs. Need a chaos champion? Just take a chaos warrior, slap on a hero-template, a couple of mutations and maybe a Mark Of Chaos and you're good to go.

I am mostly after fluff and possibly pre-written adventures or even campaigns that can be converted to fantasy.

I see there are two big adventures published; Hand Of Corruption and Binding Contracts. But reading their synopsis they seem to perhaps be written a bit too much for traveling into Imperial space and corrupting worlds there. Allthough this could be re-written as cities or locations in the Empire, I am mostly looking for stuff starting and centering around adventures on worlds allready fallen to chaos. Allthough in the long run, sending them on a quest to make an Imprial city fall to chaos has a LOT of potential.

I think I'll just have to buy all of it and start sifting through it for potential WFRP conversion.

Edited by Ralzar

Yeah, I'm not interested in converting the actual Black Crusade rules. WFRP3 has its own corruption and mutations rules for me to use anyway. And converting characters is pointless since I would hve to make fantasy versions of them anyway. WFRP has some pretty easy ways of generating NPCs. Need a chaos champion? Just take a chaos warrior, slap on a hero-template, a couple of mutations and maybe a Mark Of Chaos and you're good to go.

I am mostly after fluff and possibly pre-written adventures or even campaigns that can be converted to fantasy.

I see there are two big adventures published; Hand Of Corruption and Binding Contracts. But reading their synopsis they seem to perhaps be written a bit too much for traveling into Imperial space and corrupting worlds there. Allthough this could be re-written as cities or locations in the Empire, I am mostly looking for stuff starting and centering around adventures on worlds allready fallen to chaos. Allthough in the long run, sending them on a quest to make an Imprial city fall to chaos has a LOT of potential.

I think I'll just have to buy all of it and start sifting through it for potential WFRP conversion.

Instead of looking at the published adventures, take a look at the adventures that are part of the rulebooks.

Potential spoilers for non-GM:s:

The free adventure (Broken Chains) deals with waking up in stasis inside of a prison lost in the warp, after a massive uprising instigated by Karnak Zul, a daemonhost that managed to rebel against his inquisitorial master. The ship is inhabited by degenerated humans that have lived on in the ship (Carrion Hunters), Karnak Zul, a small inquisitorial retinue of troopers and the late Inquisitor's Interrogator - the latters who also wake up from stasis when the prisoners (the players) do.

This could easily be adapted to be a arcane prison of some sort, deep underground, locked away for a long time, or, with an already ongoing adventure, involve temporal shenanigans and black chaos magic going willy-nilly all over the place.

The adventure in the Core Rulebook involves the heretics being summoned to the Temple of Lies on Kymerus, to have their fortunes told by the Mendacious Oracle, Renkard Copax. In reality, he's out to kill them, because the coming of these champions of chaos heralds his own death. Their fates involves the survival of the Screaming Vortex and a tome called the Torestus, which through it's protagonist tells the life-story of the people involved and their fates. This could very easily be adapted to WHFRP, with the players being summoned to an auspicious temple they may never even have heard of before.

As a bonus, the temple is housed in an old crashed ship, which I would actually keep (without telling the players that it's a ship). If they figure it out, the players (out of character) can have a bit of a laugh at it. Make this an excuse to give someone a torch-thrower or a branch that throws blinding light. Because why not.

The adventure in Tome of Fate invovles coming to Q'Sal, to the city of Surgub, where the fourteen factors (...I think it was fourteen) are currently in session before declaring the latest number of insane laws. Like I said earlier, the entirety of Q'Sal and this adventure can very easily be transposed onto the Chaos Wastes, representing a number of small city-states at various locations in the wastes, and the entire adventure is pretty generic (three powerful lords of the city wants to take advantage of the fact that the factors are in session, and uses the players to deal with rivals).

I haven't looked at the adventures in Tome of Blood and Tome of Excess for a long time, but from what little I remember, they might be hard to rework, but I honestly can't say for sure.

The adventure in Tome of Decay is, just as more or less the entirety of the book, lackluster and meh. Could probably be pretty easy to adapt, though, with some liberal interpretations.

Edited by Fgdsfg

I actually ran Broken Chains as a one-off adventure back when Black Crusade first came out. It would actually be fun to convert it and see if any of the players catch on :D

I just finished reading the adventure in the Core Rulebook (Temple Of Lies). That should be convertable. And it does something handy: giving the party some direction. I have had a bit of a problem making sure the players actually have some kind of goal to keep them together and motivated. Introducing a prophecy with a promise of possible godly rewards could be a lot of fun. In addition, the newest character in the party is an imperial thrall turned Seer with Education trained. So they actually have someone who's a bit of a scholar who could try to decipher the prophecy.

The campaign has also mostly been about saving their tribe, the Graelings, from being invaded by the southern tribes ruled by a would-be High King. So a prophecy about a chaos champion who makes his people have dominion over all neighbouring people should be right up their alley :)

In Realm of Chaos: Slaves to darkness ( an old GW whfrpg/40k/whfb supplement) a chaos follower could get hold of technologal advanced/40k weapons trough two ways one a mutation and one gift of Khorne. In the case of the mutation the weapon would grow from your body. Imagine having a autocannon growing out of your chest. Or shooting down deathclaw with your khornate lascanon! Ha! take that Karl Franz!

So gift from the gods that will sound very familiar to 40k players would be one way to add some 40k flavor into warhammer fantasy.

Another thing is from a SF/fanatsy novel in wich a barbarian is exploring a mysterious tower. In the end it is revealed that the twoer is in fact a spaceship (that idea has also been used in doctor who at least twice now) So crashed space hulk in the chaos wastes?

Here are some chaos worlds i made for 40k. As you said, they can easily be turned into chaotic domains in the wastes.

The four Triumvates of Mockery

These are four clusters of 3 planets each orbiting a black sun in the warp. As soon as a ship enters near the black sun one gets the overwhelming feeling of being constantly watched.

Each cluster of worlds belongs to one of the chaos gods, and reflects how the god views his fellow gods. Of course these are twisted mockeries and the gods shafe and rage at the insults against them even as they alter their world to better mock and infuriate the others.

The Triumvate of Khorne

Bluodfevvehr

The aspect of Nurgle : A world covered in trees of bone, twisted and wracked by mutation and osteopathic plagues. The ground is a soggy march of bloodied soil and diseased gore, while the skies are filled with brass flies that burrow in the skulls of their victims. The mutant and beastmen population of this world are aflicted by mind boiling fevers and rage viruses that bring fanatical strenght and blood mad frenzy even as their health slowly drains away.

Khwontung

The aspect of Tzeentch : Khwontung looks at first glance a normal world of hard grey stone mountains and sandy plains. Temples and monasteries dedicated to martial fighting styles dot the landscape. The mostly human population spends all of its time in constant combat, perfecting their martial arts, competing in tournaments to the death or in bloody rivalries between fighting schools wich often leave both styles and schools wiped from the face of the world. The blind monks of the Bloody Scroll record all fighting styles ever used and constantly plot and scheme to incite rivalries between the schools.

Namless

The aspect of Slaanesh: A world of writhing flesh and monsoons of warm blood where hideous spawn trash and grapple with one another as they devour naked humans untill they burst in fountains of gore. Crazed cultists carve themsleves apart in an attempt to sculpt their bodies into a perfect shape. Warrior poets, clad in human skin, inked with tales of slaughter in dark blood, walk about screaming descriptions of the most exiting battles the universe has ever seen to the uncaring skies.

The Triumvate of Slaanesh

The 36 colliseums of charnel delight

The aspect of Khorne: The world conisist of 36 enormously vast arenas in wich hundreds of thousands of gladiators, slaves, beasts and warriors fight and die, only to be completly ignored by the millions of human and demonic spectators who are to busy fullfilling their other desires. The screams of the dying gladiators striving for glory falling on deaf ears.

The Jade Bauble

The aspect of Nurgle : A Living world made of diseased flesh where pustules shine like beautifull jewels and naked nymphs dance under fountains of pus. Naked revellers wearing grotesque masks dance, revel and fornicate, all the while spreading new diseases as they slither trough writhing entrails, enjoy the sensation of maggots writhing in their flesh or swim in pools of horrid yellow liquid and feast on giant banquets of rotting food.

The blazing world

The aspect of Tzeentch : Not a true mockery but actually part of Tzeentch's realm given over to Slaanesh as a gift.

The inhabitants spend their entire life barely moving from the spot they arived, content to watch, hear, feel and experience the constantly changing world as billions of undescribable colors, scents, lights and flames consrantly bubble and change all around them.The blazing world is never dull, but can be quite lethal as what was one moment a glittering glacial palace can turn into a bottomless pit of purple fire in the next.

The Triumvate of Nurgle

Barbaroi

The aspect of Khorne: An inverse world with an outer shell of pitted brass and inside seas of boiling blood. Out of this ocean of frothing diseased liquid gore rise islands of skulls upon wich the few mutants and humans build their citadels and keeps of rusted iron and corroded steel. Maddened by the hum of skull flies and blood maggots the inhabitants vent their agression on each other, constantly tearing down what fortifications they have built. Frothing madmen keep obsessive score of their kills, the number of wounds inflicted and how many of those wounds got infected or turned septic. Every person on this world is covered in grotesque scars and kill markings.

The Faded Boudoir

The aspect of Slaanesh: Not so much a world as a giant lonely mansion in a featureless wasteland.

Everything in the mansion, from the food to the purple velvet drapes to the maggot ridden pillows used to be of exquisite quality but is slowly decaying and falling apart. Cracked mirrors everywhere display the faded beauty the onlooker once had or the worm riddled corpse they will eventually become. Shambeling zombies in ornate masks bemoan their lost beauty and the deadning of their senses. Hideous spawn weep before the moss covered statues of fine bodied youghts.

Yingyomiyang

The aspect of Tzeentch: A world covered in primordial diseased sludge from wich spring islands of twisting fungi and giant heaps of offal. On this world life is in constant flux, decomposing and giving birth to new life that is already halfway rotten and laden with the eggs of new bloatflies in an endless loop of death and rebirth. Uncountable diseases and mutations disfugre and twist the occupants of this world in constantly new and ever more hideous shapes.

The Triumvate of Tzeentch

Nothinhamachekiu

The aspect of Khorne: A world of towers of ever changing alloys: sometimes brass, than silver, than steel. Each tower holds many rooms in wich insane commanders and despots move pieces on tables and boards, enacting their battleplans and schemes for world domination. Each piece has the soul of a human bound to it and screams and bleeds as it is made to fight an eternity of nonesensical battles and insane tactics.

The reflecting maze

The aspect of Slaanesh : A world covered in giant canyons of reflective materials, reflecting what paths the onlooker could have chosen. Those who look upon their reflections see all they could have been, what they can become and anything in between. If you stare to long you might find yourself to be the reflection in the wall and what was trapped in those walls no w walking away clad in your skin. Disembodied voices on the scented wind whisper promissess of great beauty and power if only you can find the hidden vales in the labyrinth.

The garden of fire

the aspect of Nurgle : A world covered in writhing flames, taking the shapes of flowers and trees, constantly changing color and shape. Amidst the firestorm stand crumbling towers and ruins, constantly falling apart and reasembling themselves in new forms. The few humans and beastmen that live on this world are covered in horrible burns that weep muticolored pus. Each inhabitant carries not a multitude of diseases but one disease that perpetually changes symptoms in the host. The poor unfortunates of this world can go from suffering the Bone ague to ailing from the crimson pox in the span of mere minutes.

Edited by Robin Graves

In Realm of Chaos: Slaves to darkness ( an old GW whfrpg/40k/whfb supplement) a chaos follower could get hold of technologal advanced/40k weapons trough two ways one a mutation and one gift of Khorne. In the case of the mutation the weapon would grow from your body. Imagine having a autocannon growing out of your chest. Or shooting down deathclaw with your khornate lascanon! Ha! take that Karl Franz!

So gift from the gods that will sound very familiar to 40k players would be one way to add some 40k flavor into warhammer fantasy.

Another thing is from a SF/fanatsy novel in wich a barbarian is exploring a mysterious tower. In the end it is revealed that the twoer is in fact a spaceship (that idea has also been used in doctor who at least twice now) So crashed space hulk in the chaos wastes?

The more I consider it, the more I want to make a Only War/DH2 conversion of the rules to play WHFRP. I really, really prefer Fantasy over 40k. The amount of stuff to pull from WH40kRP could be awesome, especially in regards to things like this. It would be funny to have a Khornate Champion show up with a bolter.

I don't care that GW went all "Guise, they're separate universes, stop having fun guise, GUISE!". Khorne cares not for your petty concerns of contingency.

The only issue to me would be that it'd be a herculean effort, new Wind-specific powers, magic, skills, etc. Virtually everything would have to be rewritten and reimagined, even if the core rules would be the same.

**** it, FFG and GW...

I supose you could try tracking down a copy of "WHFRP 1st edition" and "The Lost and the damned" and "Slaves to darkness".

Tou can even find PDF scans if you know where to look...

But then you'd have to learn that old game, altough i hear its pretty good.

I supose you could try tracking down a copy of "WHFRP 1st edition" and "The Lost and the damned" and "Slaves to darkness".

Tou can even find PDF scans if you know where to look...

But then you'd have to learn that old game, altough i hear its pretty good.

Oh, I have full access to the old WHFRP 1st and 2nd Ed books. I could use it as reference material for sure, but we're talking about something that predates DH1, with all that entails. :D

So I just tested False Prophets converted to WFRP3 last night and it worked pretty well. We only got to the part where they meed the Oracle though. The players distracted themselves so much with other stuff.

The trick is to keep the basic story and some cool details but rewrite a lot of other stuff. Particularly everything that has to do with transport and travel need a good look to make sure it still works.

Here's how it went:

(Group consist of a Jarl, a Skald and a Seer. They already have a quest, which is to "sacrifice the soul of an immortal", a Deamon Prince to be exact. They do not know of any deamon princes though, so they are searching for one and a means to defeat one and capture his soul.)

• The group started in the chaos wastes with their 30ish followers. It's generally just ice and snow for as far as they can see.
  • They spot a mountain with a cave filled with jungle vegetation. They enter and find fruits and water (slightly corrupted by Nurgle though).
  • Elika appears from the pool and brings them the invitation from the oracle. When they agree to follow her, they use the pool as a portal to get to the Temple of Lies. (By crushing dried mutant fetus over the water and saying an invocation to Nurgle). Their warband stayed behind at the pool.
  • They arrive at the foot of a mountain surrounded by a desert. There are ruins of a lost city around the mountain that are less and less visible the farther into the desert you go.
  • Elika leaves them here at a hostel until the Oracle want to see them. The temple and library are on the top of the mountain, only accessible through an elevator or some mode of flight.
  • The players run into a bunch of people in the city who tries to sell them charms and stuff that supposedly comes from the temple. (A bag of the oracles nail-clippings was my favorite).
  • The Seer drink from the water he filled his waterskin with back at the jungle cave. Through rolling a bunch of chaos stars he winds up with "The Galloping Trots" (aka Diarreah) with an extra symptom. He rolls to heal it during the night, but instead it gets worse and the players realize that if it gets much worse, the Seer is going to get killed by loose bowels.
  • The next day they take the elevator up. Here they meet Oric, who used to be an adventurer until a warlord he followed visited the temple and Oric was left behind there. On the way up, the elevator is attacked by a Sorrow Swarm. They also pass a bunch of corpses hanging by chains from the temple; people who tried to steal from the library, Oric informs them.
  • They each get a guide to show them around. Heck, the Jarl and the Skald can't even read, (The Skald player hadn't even realized his character couldn't read until this point :D ) so they have the guides read aloud to them.
  • The Seer spends the day researching diseases (when not looking for a place to relieve his bowels) and manages to find a receipt for a remedy. He partly cures his disease and increases his odds of shaking it off during rest.
  • The other spend their time researching information for their deamon-hunting quest and get several free skill specializations for their efforts.
  • Elika gathers the players and leads them up to the oracle.
  • The oracle asks them a bunch of questions while consulting his book. A disciple enter and informs him that "the other guests" have arrived. After this, the oracle casts a spell to muffle sound (this makes it more obvious for the players that the impending fight will not be heard and it makes them question why the Oracle suddenly became more paranoid about eavesdropping). Then he laughs and shouts "Fools!" before disappearing. Guards enter the room from all sides, armed with helebards and crossbows.
  • TO BE CONTINUED! :P

So, generally speaking I kept the structure from the original. The big difference is that Warhammer Fantasy does not have a concept for transporting several people quickly unless you are at sea. People generally ride or walk. Over-land travel that work the same way as a ship almost have to be magical in means. But that easily cheapens the magic if the characters are flown around on Discs of Tzeentch, hovering pieces of stone or similar. But I needed some way for Elika to serve the function of bringing them to the temple. A portal seemed more acceptable.

Then there is Oric and his car. I switched this to an elevator instead. The elevator has a bunch of levers and stuff that Oric uses to steer it. This makes Oric have a function that can't be easily usurped by the players and gives them a reason to possibly ally with Oric (one of the players even suggested inviting him along, but the Jarl said no.)

I also changed out the cherub horde with a Sorrow Swarm, mostly because I've always wanted to introduce the players to the concept of Sorrow Swarms and the cherub thing doesn't fit Warhammer Fantasy as well as it does 40K.

But other than these minor adjustments, the whole adventure was really directly convertable to Fantasy without much work.

[...]

The more I consider it, the more I want to make a Only War/DH2 conversion of the rules to play WHFRP. I really, really prefer Fantasy over 40k. The amount of stuff to pull from WH40kRP could be awesome, especially in regards to things like this. It would be funny to have a Khornate Champion show up with a bolter.

I don't care that GW went all "Guise, they're separate universes, stop having fun guise, GUISE!". Khorne cares not for your petty concerns of contingency.

The only issue to me would be that it'd be a herculean effort, new Wind-specific powers, magic, skills, etc. Virtually everything would have to be rewritten and reimagined, even if the core rules would be the same.

**** it, FFG and GW...

Do what I did and run WFRP in RuneQuest 6. Works like a charm, and if you aren't careful, you get stabbed, the wound festers and you DIE.

You could even make bolters pretty easily by utilizing the official gun rules for the game and just plop one down in a game somewhere.